Haggling for a new moped - yes or no?

Options

Comments

• londonTiger
    londonTiger Posts: 4,903 Forumite
    Options
    The Chinese rubbish are closer to the £500 mark

http://www.mopeds.co.uk/50cc-mopeds-for-sale.html

I don't know anything about mopeds but my guess is these have virtually unsellable used unless you're going to virtually give them away at £50.

Though the novelty factor of the retro and tommy peds is nice.
  • Flying-High_2
    Options
    Good luck finding parts for that Chinese stuff...

£500 moped.... the only way to look at it is if it lasts a year its cost £10 a week if you have to chuck it.
  • Nodding_Donkey
    Nodding_Donkey Posts: 2,738 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 21 April 2014 at 7:18AM
    Options
    We're looking at the Sym Symply 50 for £1099,

That's just expensive Chinese lol

Do yourself a favour and, if that is your budget, get a decent make second hand.
    Honda
    Yamaha
    Piaggio
    Etc

Honestly it will be cheaper in the long run.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,175 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I'd go for a second hand Gilera Runner. I had one and it was great. Never broke down in the 3 years I had it and passed every MOT with no effort.
  • Nodding_Donkey
    Options
    A mate of mine runs a courier company and bought 6 of the cheap chinese bikes on the theory that if they lasted a year they could be thrown away. After three months half of them were off the road 'awaiting spares'. After a year only one was still going and that was only by cannabilising the others for parts.
  • nobbysn*ts
    nobbysn*ts Posts: 1,176 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    That's just expensive Chinese lol

Do yourself a favour and, if that is your budget, get a decent make second hand.
    Honda
    Yamaha
    Piaggio
    Etc

Honestly it will be cheaper in the long run.

LOL indeed. Your best advise is to buy a secondhand Piaggo, from the home of Fiats and Lancias, as opposed to Chinese, from a company actually in Taiwain that's been making product for half a century, mainly for Honda and Hyundi? The only other thing that may be wrong with that is it'll most likely be made by Piaggio Foshan Motorcycle Co. Ltd in Foshan City. As least the op's done their homework, unlike most on here as normal.
  • cockneyrebel
    Options
    Our issue is that we really do want to deal with our local dealer, they have proved to be really reliable and trustworthy. They will NOT deal in used 50cc scooters; their reasoning is that most are bought by teenagers to learn on, and they ride them into the ground and don't take care of them, so the shop is unwilling to sell them on knowing that they probably aren't going to be reliable. So we are looking at a new scooter, not a used one.
    They do have a Piaggio for £1300; that could be an option, a bit more than we were hoping to pay though, but if it holds its value it could be worthwhile.
  • Nodding_Donkey
    Options
    If you can stretch to it you'll get a far better resale price with the Piaggio
  • Nodding_Donkey
    Options
    im-lost wrote: »
    clearly haven't got a clue what you're talking about.

its easier to get parts for the chinky bikes than it is for some of the mainstream brands, but dont let the facts get in the way of the whole 'its chinky crap myth'

As for lasting a year, it depends how you look after them, just like anything, use and abuse a main brand one and it will also be worthless after a year.

I know people with 6 year old chinky scoots and they are perfectly fine.

Do you work for a chinese crap importer?

Of course anything will break if abused but I bet the chinese stuff breaks first.
  • nobbysn*ts
    nobbysn*ts Posts: 1,176 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    If you can stretch to it you'll get a far better resale price with the Piaggio

With the cheapest Sym at £800 on Autotrader, for up to two years old, and Piaggio starting at £400 for a comparable bike, clearly not. Especially when you consider the difference in the new price, and think what the hit with depreciation on the Piaggio is by comparison.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure