warning do not use clothes for cash

Options

Comments

• princessdreamer
    Options
    Update they tried again to say they didnt have change to give me the extra so I informed them they still owed me from last time so made £4 from stuff I was going to throw away anyway, it's not a lot but its better than nothing. Anything worth selling goes on ebay towards paying off the mortgage.
    mortgage free by christmas 2014 owed £5,000, jan 2014 £4,170, £4,060, feb £3,818 march £3,399 30% of the way there woohoo
    If you don't think you can go on look back and see how far you've come
  • groovy_chick
    Options
    I also used Return to Earn and would NOT recommend using them. They only allow new customers to send one bag, so you can "get an understanding of what they accept". Everything I put in the bag was washed and I ironed each piece before folding it and filling the bag to the brim (lots of my daughters hardly worn party dresses and summer clothes in there).

They told me that it weighed 14kg when I believed it was 20kg and they assessed that only 36% of my clothes were acceptable and paid me £1.30 !! Then, to add insult to injury, they wouldn't even allow me to send any more bags as they don't accept from people who send less than 50% acceptable goods. (Not that I wanted to spend hours getting a bag filled for a measly £1.30 again, but I was willing to give it another go after 'learning' what they deemed acceptable).

Return to Earn expect clothes to be virtually brand new and you are better off ebaying clothes that are of the quality they expect.

As I have so many bags of clothes and so little time, I am looking to try again. Does anyone have experience of Cash for Clothes (based in Birmingham - cashclothes.org.uk)???
    Proud to be debt-free 30/6/2020

• princessdreamer
    Options
    As I've said before if you were going to chuck it out its ok but if its any good ebay it, I got £30 for one item on ebay then another £1:20 for another so it's way better even with the fees.
    mortgage free by christmas 2014 owed £5,000, jan 2014 £4,170, £4,060, feb £3,818 march £3,399 30% of the way there woohoo
    If you don't think you can go on look back and see how far you've come
  • 52defghb
    Options
    I have used return to earn as this is my first time using them and to be quite honest I wouldn't use them again sent them the parcel which states 10kg which I done so as they they do not except size 16 or 18 clothes bobbled clothes or anything damaged weighed the bag on my scales. Received an email today to say that I would be receiving a cheque for only 3.49 which is a bit of a joke told me 7.46 kg of clothes were suitable and the 3kg was unsuitable. I think a lot of these cash for clothes are punching above there weight no matter how new or clean the clothes are I don't think anyone will get that much money probably better off taking your clothes to the charity shop.And if you want to receive another bag you've got to wait until they receive your bag weigh the bag assess your clothes so there in good condition and then wait till they email you how much they will give you and then get your second blue bag, at the time I didn't know when I kept requesting to get another bag. I won't be using them again a waste of time.Just glad to get rid of the first batch of clothes,shoes,bags and trainers.
  • Techie_Gerry
    Options
    The reason that ClothesForCash seem to operate differently now is because it a different company (it changed hands recently). This is the reason i got £1.84 for a 16 Kg bag and not the usual £10-£12 i have got in the past, they supply a link on your reply email showing pictures of duff clothes as a reason to not pay you very much (that's a very clever con, i mean innovation isn't it). :T
    I phoned them to complain as the website still looks the same as it did before only to be informed that the small print has changed a bit, if you are unaware that the company has changed owners then why would you check. Apparently if you tick a box on the site you have absolutely no rights.
  • BADBYBABE
    BADBYBABE Posts: 17 Forumite
    Options
    I would just like to share my experience that I have received from cash-clothes.co.uk.

We had 35 bags of clothes picked up at the end of August and we were given a receipt and told payment would be on the way. I have finally received payment today after 7 months of endless phonecalls, messages left on answerphones, over 50 pages of email, to be told lie after lie that the money is on the way. We were selling my mums clothes as she went into a home suffering from Altzimers. They never ever returned my calls, just kept being told to telephone the finance department who are open 3 hours a day four days a week (obviously they dont need to be open much if they are not paying people) I finally went online to the small claims court and after issuing a judgement i finally got payment today. I cannot express how much stress this has caused me and my sister, to think that a company can be allowed to operate in this way is beyond me. So BEWARE please take notice of any reviews before letting them go away with your clothes. :(
    Lynn :o
  • Kittyhed
    Options
    I have used cashforclothing.org.uk the bags were collected 3/12/14 and today still not received payment.
    I have sent endless emails, tried phoning but cannot seem to get any further.
    Emailing the Accounts manager all I get is a standard email back,stating they are working through the paperwork and customers should be paid at the end of the week.
    I have tried phoning it is either answer machine on one number and no one answering the other one.
    Decided to call the number that I used for collection in Staffordshire. Spoke to a young man named Adam and he advised for me to send email with all details and occurrences, he would inform his Line Manager to look out for it. The email was sent 24/02/15 - GUESS WHAT - no reply to date.
    On the back of the booking document it states that payment should be made 7 - 10 days!!!
    No procedures for making a complaint (surprise surprise)
    Found out that is a John Sharpe trading as Cash Clothes, Kids off the Street, Renewable Recycling Centre and Cut Carb Metal Trading, got numerous websites.
    Found a mobile number and thought hey lets give it a go - no answer.
    I felt like giving up but to be quite honest it is the principal of it all - how many people have given up and not received any payment.

Lesson Learned!
  • BADBYBABE
    BADBYBABE Posts: 17 Forumite
    Options
    Hi, I would advise you to go online and do a search for small claims court and this will give you a link to do an online claim (this goes to your local court). It costs £25.00 they ignored the court summons so after the date given by the court I went back to the court and they issued a judgement and they telephoned me from Swansea telling me that the Director (John Sharpe) had told him to make payment and I got payment into my account straight away. When I did the claim i worked out what each bag weighed and worked out the amount. He didnt pay my £25.00 court fees which they are supposed to do (which) I have gone back to the court for). Did you deal with Kimberley if that is the case she has been sacked. The number I was called on was 01792 824301. Tell them you will take them to the small claims court if they dont pay up. It wasnt the amount of money I was bothered about it was the fact that they thought they could rob us of our clothes and not pay up!! Good luck and DONT GIVE UP THEN THEY WIN :o:o
  • cyberfuits
    Options
    Has any body got a address apart from the cash for clothe main address Unit 3 Heathfield Road
    Sandy Lane Industrial Estate Stourport on Severn, I need to serve a court order to John Sharpe and i was thinking that he may have an other address?

Thanks
  • BADBYBABE
    Options
    Yes that is the address I used. Good luck :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport