Money Moral Dilemma: Should I give my younger sister a smaller wedding gift?

Options

Comments

• elizabethhull
    Options
    Mollyeyre wrote: »
    The clue is in the word 'gift', you give what you can NOT what someone else thinks you should, I hate it when a GIFT becomes an OBLIGATION. She is your sister - if she loves you she will not care whether it is £5 or £500

Quite !
    However, I do see your problem. How about £250 now, but set up a savings account into which you put £5 a month (or £10 or whatever you can manage), and as soon as it reaches £250 hand it over - by then she will just be recovering from the huge expense of getting married and a financial extra will be very welcome.

By the way, you could tell your sister that you really want to treat them the same (at which point she might say she has no idea what her other sister received), but you can't manage it now, and give her an IOU, whereupon a nice sister will promptly tear it up, give you a kiss, and say it doesn't matter.
  • Torry_Quine
    Torry_Quine Posts: 18,840 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    £500 was a huge amount to give but it fitted with your circumstances then. Now things have changed so you should give what is affordable not feel you have to give the same
    Lost my soulmate so life is empty.

I can bear pain myself, he said softly, but I couldna bear yours. That would take more strength than I have -
    Diana Gabaldon, Outlander
  • Top_Girl
    Top_Girl Posts: 1,211 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    John_Gray wrote: »
    Perhaps when your older sister married you should have foreseen that your younger one might also in the future, and put by £500 (+ inflation!) for that rainy day?

What did they give you when you got married? Match that, plus whatever else you can afford.

Incidentally, £500 isn't going to go far towards the cost of the average marriage, so you will have got off lightly...

Got off lightly?

OP isn't responsible for funding her sister's marriage or life thereafter.
  • jmwillow
    Options
    John_Gray wrote: »
    Perhaps when your older sister married you should have foreseen that your younger one might also in the future, and put by £500 (+ inflation!) for that rainy day?

What did they give you when you got married? Match that, plus whatever else you can afford.

Incidentally, £500 isn't going to go far towards the cost of the average marriage, so you will have got off lightly...

I don't think you have read the dilemma properly. Why should a SISTER have got off lightly? Are you thinking it was a parent?
    In reply to OP £500 is a lot to give a sibling for a wedding gift. It was a very kind gesture and I am sure if you explain to your sister she will happily accept whatever you can now afford.
  • AubreyMac
    AubreyMac Posts: 1,723 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I would feel the need to match it, that's just the fairest and easiest way I reckon. It is not your younger sisters fault that your financial situation is now different.

I think I would take it personally if one sister got more than me and I would feel bad to receive more than my sister too. It is not the amount of money, but the principle and attitude towards it I guess.
  • happyinflorida
    Options
    Discuss it with your sister
  • Borage
    Borage Posts: 53 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    My personal Honour and morals would compel me to give the same amount to both of them even if i had to give half when they married and the other half in a few months or even a years time.
    How much is the other sister going to give the younger sister ? £500 perhaps ! how would that make the OP sister feel if she gave less than that ? . This situation where one sister gets given more than another sister has the potential to split familys, and all for the sake of a few quid
  • REJP
    REJP Posts: 325 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Give what you can afford. Simple. If your sister cannot understand your financial circumstances have changed and that you cannot give more that is her problem. One day she may be in the same situation as yourself.
    Why not tell her money is tight for you at the moment? Any decent loving sister would not want you to be stressed about the size of the gift.
  • BaldacchinoR
    Options
    To me, this is a matter of being fair, regardless of whether this issue has been openly shared or not i.e. all parties were/are in the know about how much was given to the older sister. Each sister should be treated equally. The problem is that being generous when you were flush has become a mistake. If you had made it an affordable gift, as opposed to what has now transpired to be an unaffordable one, then you would not be in this position. Someone suggested above that you could have put £500 aside for the younger sister when you were flush, which is an idea. Otherwise you could explain that the £500 for the younger sister can only paid by installments, whereupon she may be generous enough to say just give what you can afford.
  • You gave your other sister £500 so you should give this sister £500. If you don't it will look like favouritism and trust me it won't be worth all the pain in the long run. Also £500 now is actually less than £500 then - plus (admit it), even though the kids are costing you more - you're not on the breadline are you? You can actually afford the £500, you'll just have to go without some luxuries for a while. I'm afraid you made a rod for your own back when you gave the first sister the £500 gift, you must know that you can't give your other sister less, it really wouldn't look good or be fair.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure