Car Tax Reminder

Options

Comments

• snoman
    snoman Posts: 44 Forumite
    Options
    Tried to renew mine today, using official reminder, but no go. Reason: my new insurance policy starts on the tax renewal date (1 Sept) but the insurance company won't enter details into MIDB before 30 Aug. Why not? They have taken my money and sent me the insurance certificate. I've managed to renew online before without these problems. Looks like trundling along to the P.O. this time and I'm out of the prize draw!
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Options
    snoman wrote: »
    the insurance company won't enter details into MIDB before 30 Aug. Why not?

Because then the "MIDB" would show any enquirer prior to 30/8/10 that you were uninsured!

You could still buy your tax on 30/8/10 if that's the case - you then have 5 days in September before you have to display your new disc
  • snoman
    Options
    Quentin wrote: »
    Because then the "MIDB" would show any enquirer prior to 30/8/10 that you were uninsured!
    Not true, as I will still be insured under my existing policy until 31 Aug. I have checked the MIDB which confirms I am covered. Its just that the insurer changes at midnight on 31 Aug and currently there is only the insurance certificate to verify this important fact.
  • sassy_one
    sassy_one Posts: 2,685 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You have 5 days from the date of your 'current' Tax disc to renew - as long as you renew it, you do NOT have to display the Tax disc itself for up to 5 days, this is clearly stated on the back of the reminder you would have received.

Hope you get it sorted :)
  • Quentin
    edited 14 August 2010 at 11:50PM
    Options
    Not true, as I will still be insured under my existing policy until 31 Aug. I have checked the MIDB which confirms I am covered. Its just that the insurer changes at midnight on 31 Aug and currently there is only the insurance certificate to verify this important fact.

Yes you are on the MID with your existing policy. But this is no good for you to buy your new tax on line, as the existing policy expires prior to 1/9/10.

The MID only shows your current insurance details.

Your question which I answered was: Why can't the MID show your new policy details to allow you to renew on line now?
  • sassy_one
    sassy_one Posts: 2,685 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If you wanted to check the status of your insurance and if you are on the MID, then you can do this free with just entering your car reg.

See here:

http://www.askmid.com/
  • snoman
    Options
    The MID only shows your current insurance details.
    This is certainly true if you or I interrogate it, but DVLA obviously has the capability to project into the future. I wonder if this is a new feature, because this is the first year I've had a problem with this issue.

I am aware of the 5 days grace at the start of the month and normally this would let me off the hook. However, this year I will be going on holiday on 31 Aug and taking my car with me, so hence the interest in getting it all sorted well beforehand.

Anyway, I've worked out a long-term solution to this dilemma. I will go to the P.O. and tax for 6 months only. This will effectively de-synch insurance renewal and taxation dates by 6 months and thereafter I should be able to renew my tax annually without hassle. An interesting thought: DVLA need to know that there is insurance valid on the first day of the month, but what about the following days, weeks or months? Would they issue a tax disc against one day's insurance cover? Perhaps I could have an insurance that runs for 1 year + 1 day?
  • Hintza
    Hintza Posts: 19,420 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Snoman although probably not much help this year I might just have delayed renewing my insurance for a day ie until 2nd of September therefore you would not fall foul the DVLA computers?

But I did what you did this year and got 6 months road tax, just to shirt one payment (hassle) from the start of the year.
  • Quentin
    Options
    An interesting thought: DVLA need to know that there is insurance valid on the first day of the month, but what about the following days,

If you aren't worried about driving uninsured, just cancel your policy as soon as you have bought your tax.

When it's due for renewal take out a new one, buy your tax, then cancel during the cooling off period. Repeat each year.
  • snoman
    Options
    If you aren't worried about driving uninsured, just cancel your policy as soon as you have bought your tax.

When it's due for renewal take out a new one, buy your tax, then cancel during the cooling off period. Repeat each year.
    You've just hit on a possible reason for the insurance company leaving it until the last minute before updating the MIDB. The cooling off period will have expired before they update the MIDB. On the other hand, they have sent me the insurance certificate, so it still doesn't make much sense.

I have complained to my insurance company about this unsatisfactory situation and their response was along the lines of: "Tough; you'll just have to renew at the P.O." I wondered if there might be a catch in going for the lowest premium.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure