stockmarkets -are we nearing the bottom or is there further to go ??

Options
Is there much further to go or are we reaching a good point to buy into the market??
Early retired in summer 2018 and loving it

Comments

• woolly_wombat
    Options
    frugal90 wrote: »
    Is there much further to go or are we reaching a good point to buy into the market??

Sorry, my crystal ball is out of action.
  • Kendall80
    Kendall80 Posts: 965 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 8 February 2016 at 5:03PM
    Options
    I've been buying these past few weeks. Spreading over my equities. I'm due to put in some more in the next few days. There are some large daily losses being posted on the various region indicies currently. Negative sentiment does appear to be spreading. China, oil/commods, tech and now with the banks getting hit.
    Is there further to go? Possibly, although one piece of good news could herald a turning point so who knows. Just sticking to the plan here.
  • blizeH
    blizeH Posts: 1,363 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It's impossible to say for sure. FTSE is 20% cheaper than it was at the start of the year though so I'm buying!
  • george4064
    george4064 Posts: 2,811 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    How long is a piece of string?

The answer to that question, is the answer to yours.
    "If you aren’t willing to own a stock for ten years, don’t even think about owning it for ten minutes” Warren Buffett

Save £12k in 2021 - #027 £15,268 (76%)
  • Glen_Clark
    Glen_Clark Posts: 4,397 Forumite
    Options
    The main reasons I have heard being put forward for the fall (fears about global growth and central banks having used up all their QE interest rate stimulus) have been known for months. So the only reason I can see for this latest fall is (short term) sentiment. Traders fear becoming contageous. And thats impossible to predict.
    “It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends on his not understanding it.” --Upton Sinclair
  • TheTracker
    TheTracker Posts: 1,223 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I'm hoping it stays this low or goes lower over the next year or two. The last thing I want is for it to make the 20% back quickly.
  • Superscrooge
    Superscrooge Posts: 1,171 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The markets will stay cheap for the next couple of months until mid April, to give me time to bung in next years ISA money. Then the next bull market can begin;)
  • Sam_J12
    Sam_J12 Posts: 253 Forumite
    Options
    My personal feeling is that the global markets will be very volatile for much of this year, and may fall further. I don't believe the FTSE100 will fall too much further, but don't really have much faith in its long term performance. I believe that now is probably a fairly decent time to buy overall, provided you are looking at a long term horizon and don't mind lots of volatility in the short term. I think Japan in particular is worth looking into.
  • Glen_Clark
    Glen_Clark Posts: 4,397 Forumite
    Options
    Short term share prices are ruled by greed or fear. You can understand both, but that doesn't tell you which will be the more powerful tomorrow.
    “It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends on his not understanding it.” --Upton Sinclair
  • Procrastinater
    Options
    frugal90 wrote: »

Plenty of scope to lose money yet ! :eek:

Here's a little chart for you :-

https://uk.finance.yahoo.com/q/bc?s=^FTSE&t=my&l=on&z=l&q=l&c=

Of course, shares can go up as well as down !
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure