I want to use my Barclaycard to return my car

Options
I paid for a used car on my Barclaycard Platinum on Saturday 3rd Feb. I couldn't take the car that day as the dealer wanted to get it ready. The paperwork I signed said 'MOT, Service & Delivery.' The car couldn't be delivered as agreed on Tuesday 6th as he was 'a few days behind' and I'd forgot to send him the settlement figure for my Ford.

Anyhow, I collected the car today and when I got home there's no stamp from his place in the service booklet and the MOT expires 24/02/2018. I emailed him and give him his due he called me straight up saying he'd send the service stuff out and that the MOT was there; he seemed surprised when I said the only one I could see expired this month/this year.

There are other things I could mention and with hindsight I've got a very bad feeling about this whole situ now. Can I bring Barclaycard into this as the 'services' agreed don't seem to have been carried out? Is this a breach of contact does anyone know please? I feel physically sick ... not how you should feel with a new car :cry::cry:

Comments

• Nile
    Nile Posts: 14,930 Ambassador
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hi, we move threads if we think they’ll get more help elsewhere (please read the forum rule) so this post/thread has been moved to another board. If you have any questions about this policy please email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.

I’ve moved your thread from the ‘I wanna’ board to the ‘Motoring’ board, where it is better suited.

Regards

Nile
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the 'I wanna' and 'In my home' and Health & Beauty'' boards.If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.10 Dec 2007 - Led Zeppelin - I was there. :j :cool2: I wear my 50 (gold/red/white) blood donations pin badge with pride. Give blood, save a life.
  • NewcastleDriver
    Options
    Thanks Nile
  • waamo
    waamo Posts: 10,298 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Firstly why not check the mot status of the car yourself
    https://www.gov.uk/check-mot-history

That way you know if he has just neglected to give you the paperwork for it. It may be a simple oversight or be a bad sign but it's best to check before going all guns blazing.
  • Mercdriver
    Mercdriver Posts: 3,898 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You will get short shrift from your credit card co if you haven't exhausted other means. Are you the type of person that emails the CEO of a bus company because it is a few minutes late? You can't simply get your credit card company to give you a refund when you haven't asked that of the trader.

As above have you checked via the MOT checker whether there is a MOT in place for it beyond the end of this month?

Otherwise - look, the cart has gone before the horses...
  • unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Mercdriver wrote: »
    You will get short shrift from your credit card co if you haven't exhausted other means. Are you the type of person that emails the CEO of a bus company because it is a few minutes late? You can't simply get your credit card company to give you a refund when you haven't asked that of the trader.

As above have you checked via the MOT checker whether there is a MOT in place for it beyond the end of this month?

Otherwise - look, the cart has gone before the horses...

While I agree OP is perhaps jumping the gun and overreacting, if its a claim under section 75 of the consumer credit act then the card company have joint & several liability - meaning OP doesn't even need to approach the retailer at all (never mind exhaust other means), they have the choice whether to chase the retailer, the creditor or both.
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • NewcastleDriver
    Options
    Hi Guys,

Thanks for replying.

I guess in my panic I wasn't as clear as I should/could have been however in my defence, I've been extremely fortunate to have past car buying taken out of my hands so hitherto now it's been an absolute cinch.

I didn't realise I'd come across as such as wimp either but to clarify ... I'm definitely not the 'type' to complain to higher authorities about trivial matters. I have spoken to the dealer who said he'd send the service info in the post and asked me to look again at the docs because the MOT info was there. I did indeed check it for myself on the Gov.uk site too and I emailed him a screenshot of the details I found; which was not a recent MOT.

I guess I'm worrying because a) I got my dates mixed up as I actually paid for the car on Thurs 1st Feb so it's been 'mine' for 10 days but sitting with the dealer doing what? b) he's a bit ropey with the whole communication side of things and c) I'm starting to feel conned in all honesty.

Unfortunately, not all of us are as savvy as a lot of folk when it comes to consumerism and not all of us have people (men in particular) in our lives who we can rely on to help out in these situ's. I did my homework and I was happy with my purchase. I stuck to my end of the bargain but it seems he hasn't so panic-stricken doesn't really touch it tbh. I may be stupid and/or naive for taking him at face value but I trust in people.

I just don't know what to do as I don't see/understand how this can be rectified easily when I work 9-5 Mon-Fri and he's 50 miles away. Not to mention he's got my Ford so where do I stand in getting that back?

Please be gentle with me and don't judge me for reactions I haven't had.

Many thanks kind people.
  • missile
    missile Posts: 11,691 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Seems the dealer has taken advantage of your inexperience.

I would suggest you ask him to collect the car have it serviced and the MOT carried out at his earliest convenience. A good dealer would admit his error and arrange to collect it from your place of employment after 09.00 and return it before 17.00.

Lessons for future:
    1. Never pay for a car before you inspect it and examine the paperwork.
    2. Choose the dealer carefully.
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home :iloveyou:
  • NewcastleDriver
    Options
    Thanks Missile.

I did 'inspect' it, it certainly wasn't bought unseen. The paperwork he gave me at the time of purchase said MOT, Service and Delivery would be included. I thought he was ok because I found him via AutoTrader, I also got RAC cover so I've (mistakenly?) taken that to be a kinda endorsement of him if you see what I mean and tbh the reviews I found were were good.

That said, I've no guarantee a service will be completed now whether he sends the info thru the post or if he does indeed take it away - either way to the uneducated like me it's just a bit of paper isn't it.

I've lost all confidence in this dealer and the car and I'd really appreciate some advice on what I do now as the product is not as described on the bill of sale, invoice or whatever you want to call it so does the following apply in this situ please?
    0 - 30 days since purchase
    If you bought a product less than 30 days ago is unfit for purpose, faulty or not as described, you have the right to return the product and receive a full refund.
  • missile
    missile Posts: 11,691 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 10 February 2018 at 11:47PM
    Options
    Anyone can advertise on Auto Trader.
    I would not have paid for it before the car was delivered with the paperwork.
    Anyone could check if the oil filter has been changed after a service.
    "I also got RAC cover"
    do you mean an RAC inspection ? Did you get a report?
    Is this an RAC approved dealer
    I don't think you have grounds to reject the car.
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home :iloveyou:
  • NewcastleDriver
    Options
    Thanks again for your reply Missile. I really do appreciate the advice. However, what's done is done now, I can't go back in time and change it, so I just need to get my head around what I can do going forward. Maybe this isn't the right place.

I have no idea how to check the oil filter though and I appreciate that this whole issue is likely making me come across as a total simpleton. I'm not. I'm just someone who has faith in people and who did what homework I felt was sufficient.

Tbh all this 'should have done' type stuff from people just makes me feel ten times worse than I've already made myself feel and I don't think I deserve it, or the judgement, when all I'm asking for is help and/or advice. Just because I know not to give money to emails received from Nigerians doesn't mean I'm a wheeler-dealer with car traders !! We all have our limits.

Lastly, fyi - he is a RAC approved dealer. Guess I'll just have to wait it out and see what he comes back with on Monday.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport