Free and Cheap Wills discussion area

Options

Comments

• NOWSE
    NOWSE Posts: 385 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I was able to have the wills of my wife and myself drawn up for nothing. It is one of the member benefits of being in Unite. I expect that other unions also offer this. Have a look on their website.
  • Yorkshireman99
    Yorkshireman99 Posts: 5,470 Forumite
    edited 24 January 2017 at 12:04AM
    Options
    NOWSE wrote: »
    I was able to have the wills of my wife and myself drawn up for nothing. It is one of the member benefits of being in Unite. I expect that other unions also offer this. Have a look on their website.
    But did you get proper advice and were you able to specify what you wanted or was it just a standard wording?
  • bib1
    bib1 Posts: 25 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    My will was written by a solicitor and he also stores the will. He is also the sole executor.
    My question is: how will he know that I have died?
    I have no family or friends (don't worry - I'm ok and happy!).
    So, when I die - who will inform the solicitor to get things rolling?
  • da_rule
    da_rule Posts: 3,618 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    It depends how on the ball your solicitor is.

Some will check the unclaimed estates list for their clients.

Otherwise, all you can really do is tell a neighbour and ask them to inform the solicitor when the time comes.
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    bib1 wrote: »
    My will was written by a solicitor and he also stores the will. He is also the sole executor.
    My question is: how will he know that I have died?
    I have no family or friends (don't worry - I'm ok and happy!).
    So, when I die - who will inform the solicitor to get things rolling?

If you know that the end is nigh, you can get someone to contact your executor and warn him.

If you die suddenly, someone will come into your home and search for paperwork about solicitors, wills, etc. Make sure you have some that is easily found.

It could also be worth having a note in your wallet detailing who to contact. If your phone isn't locked, you could have your solicitor listed under ICE.
  • mrkester
    Options
    My wife sadly died 2 weeks ago, at the age of 40. Neither of us have a will, and we have a 10 year old daughter.
    Many years ago, we bought a DIY Last Will & Testament Kit, but never got round to filling it in...stupid, I know.
    I'm assuming that everythibg will pass to me, as her next of kin?

I'm now determined to get everything completed properly.

What do I do, or is it a different form, with regards to the care of my daughtet, should I doe before she reaches an age of being legally allowed to look after herself. My cousin has said she will look after her, but what paperwork do I need to complete?

Thanks in advance.
  • Yorkshireman99
    Options
    mrkester wrote: »
    My wife sadly died 2 weeks ago, at the age of 40. Neither of us have a will, and we have a 10 year old daughter.
    Many years ago, we bought a DIY Last Will & Testament Kit, but never got round to filling it in...stupid, I know.
    I'm assuming that everythibg will pass to me, as her next of kin?

I'm now determined to get everything completed properly.

What do I do, or is it a different form, with regards to the care of my daughtet, should I doe before she reaches an age of being legally allowed to look after herself. My cousin has said she will look after her, but what paperwork do I need to complete?

Thanks in advance.
    You will need to apply for letters of administration. The estate will need to be distributed according to the laws of intestacy. This site explains.

https://www.gov.uk/inherits-someone-dies-without-will

Please come back here for any help you need.
  • Mojisola
    Options
    mrkester wrote: »

You can set out your wishes in your will - any decent solicitor will talk you through it.

Your wishes will usually be complied with unless someone raises a problem with your nominated person. Does your cousin have regular contact with your daughter? Social Services are more likely to give her guardianship the nod through if she can show that she has been a part of your daughter's life.
  • Sarahjovi
    Sarahjovi Posts: 1,017 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi,

Last summer, My husband and I were advised to wait until our youngest daughter had turned 18, before writing our wills, as a beneficiary, it would be less complicated. She has now turned 18 and the will writer has been in touch to make an appointment.

One of the things we discussed was the ownership of our house, which is currently mortgage free and in the sole name of my husband. We intend to get this put into joint tenancy, however, as the will writer wants to make an appointment I want to know if we should do this before we write our wills, we just need straight forward mirror wills.

Will it matter if the leave it as sole owner of my husband for the time being? I think the will writer may want to charge us to put it into joint tenancy!
  • Mojisola
    Options
    Sarahjovi wrote: »
    Last summer, My husband and I were advised to wait until our youngest daughter had turned 18, before writing our wills, as a beneficiary, it would be less complicated. She has now turned 18 and the will writer has been in touch to make an appointment.

Is there any reason why you've chosen a will writer rather than a solicitor?

Do you really think it was good advice to postpone making a will until a minor child became an adult? A will would have been more important if you had died before she reached 18.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback