Mini meltdown and light bulb moment

Options

Comments

• AleMrsT
    AleMrsT Posts: 577 Forumite
    Options
    :j just met Warwick Davis and had a photo taken with him. Proper fan girl moment! He's at the same medical conference that we're at. :):)
  • misstara
    misstara Posts: 3,883 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Hope you and OH are having a fab time in London :)
    Debt Dec 2022 - £2972.68. Current debt - £0 (100% paid). Flat deposit - £10794.85/£15000 (72% saved). Emergency fund - £1533.14/£2000 (76.7% saved).
  • October_Starter
    Options
    Sorry to hear your week was a tough one but hopefully the weekend is making up for it! :)

Thinking of you.

October xx
  • AleMrsT
    edited 10 March 2015 at 9:14PM
    Options
    House clearance has begun!

Hubby has spent the morning clearing the loft, he has taken down the spare bed and stacked things in piles in the spare room, there are four piles, landlords stuff, stuff to sort for selling, empty boxes for packing, christmas decorations!! Guess which pile is the biggest?! (hint, christmas decs are a close second......)

We have decided to do another clear out of the media cabinet, we have loads of blu rays and DVD box sets that we didnt put through the first round of items, purely for sentimental reasons, but OH has decided most things are available on line these days, and chances are we are not going to re-watch all 8 seasons of 24 or supernatural, and there are some duplicates, ie have the same film on blu ray and in a DVD box set.

I STILL need to find somewhere that takes books! I am reluctant to give them away, as a lot of them are unread, I'd rather keep them that give them away for free, but if I can sell them, then great.

I have also just discovered gumtree (I know, I'm very late to this party....) and have listed my wedding dress on there, amongst other wedding paraphernalia. I'm going to go through the pile in the bedroom and list the items on gumtree and preloved to see what sells.

We need to cut back on our belongings that clutter up the loft, and we need the spare cash, so doubling up on the sites we list on seems sensible, also going to utilise the FB selling page too. my sister has sold loads this way. Given up with fleabay, too many problems with buyers and not worth it once the fees are added on.

Here's my 'to do' list for the next few days whilst OH is at work in the evening and on Wednesday when I'm off:

[STRIKE]Take the washing off the airer[/STRIKE]
    Iron above clothes and PUT THEM AWAY!!! (ugh, the worst part)
    [STRIKE]Reinvestigate selling wedding dress and list it[/STRIKE]
    [STRIKE]List wedding veil and fur shrug SOMEWHERE[/STRIKE]
    Sort through items in the loft, what to sell, what to donate
    Scan another batch of DVD's and blu rays, then compare prices on zapper, WBB and MM, consider ziffit too...
    Try getting rid of books again (ziffit has cash back on TCB....)

Already crossed two things off the list!

We're going for a second viewing at the new place on Wednesday afternoon, the landlord is meeting us there which is a nice surprise (told OH I was going to convince LL that its a good idea to get rid of the agency, and let me deal with everything, he'll save himself £55 a month in management fees, so if he reduces the rent to £525 and lets me sort everything, he'll still be £25 a month better off....... OH was NOT keen on this idea!!:rotfl:) I also have to go with my sister to take the niece for her jabs on Wednesday:( not looking forward to that.

An update on my friend who has had a stroke, not sure if I mentioned this, he's only 28. Well, some good news, he is now back at home :T needs to continue with physio, and I am concerned for him; because as well as being a veggie, his wife is a terrible cook, he does all of the cooking. I've told her to bring him round to me when he wants a decent meal cooking (half jokingly of course, I will extend the offer in a more serious way, rather than ribbing her efforts of cooking (pasta, soup or toast...... :rotfl::eek:)

Think thats all for me, apart from my confession that I spent £3 on a Te5co meal deal today, I went in for bread and mothers day cards, the lunch deal was totally unnecessary as I'd taken soup into work...... :mad:
  • AleMrsT
    Options
    Bank balance is looking good, I've updated my signature with my new savings totals, and if all the stuff I've listed sells, plus the DVD money already in transit, we should have around £700 towards the deposit for the flat, plus the £500 due back to us from the current landlord, so we should really be ok for money. We shouldn't need a food shop again this month (there is no point as we will only have to move it when we move house so I'm going to run the freezer dry and get creative).

Very pleased with myself (so far) Only 13 working days to go until pay day!!!
  • AleMrsT
    edited 10 March 2015 at 9:13PM
    Options
    AleMrsT wrote: »
    House clearance has begun!

Here's my 'to do' list for the next few days whilst OH is at work in the evening and on Wednesday when I'm off:

[STRIKE]Take the washing off the airer[/STRIKE] Another one bites the dust...
    Iron above clothes and PUT THEM AWAY!!! (ugh, the worst part)
    [STRIKE]Reinvestigate selling wedding dress and list it[/STRIKE]
    [STRIKE]List wedding veil and fur shrug SOMEWHERE[/STRIKE]
    Sort through items in the loft, what to sell, what to donate
    Scan another batch of DVD's and blu rays, then compare prices on zapper, WBB and MM, consider ziffit too...
    Try getting rid of books again (ziffit has cash back on TCB....)
    [STRIKE]Finalise cancellation of Vodafail contract - TRIED AND FAILED :mad:[/STRIKE] Success!!!!!

Already crossed two things off the list! THREE NOW, BUT I'VE ADDED ANOTHER.

Getting thoroughly cheesed off with !!!!!! vodafone. Iv'e just called them again to cancel the contract as the woman I spoke to last month told me to do, 'call back in March', and guess what..... I cant cancel until APRIL now!!!!!!

The poor guy got it with both barrels. I've rang every month for three months to be told if I call the following month I can cancel. The cancellation has gone from being free if I ring in February, to £50 if I call in March, to £19 if I cancel in April, despite being told I can cancel it in February!!!!!!!! :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

I'm tempted to just cancel the direct debit, because they never tell me the same thing twice! Utterly exasperated with them.
  • AleMrsT
    Options
    :j:T:j:T I will never again underestimate the power of Twitter.

After my rant on here about Vodafone yesterday, I tweeted them asking if ANYONE is able to actually give me a straight answer. I got a reply from them apologising and asking what it is I need help with, so I replied then to say 'I just want to cancel, I already have a new line with you!'

Anyway, I thought no more of it, and called just now before cancellations close at 8pm to see what story they tell me today. I got through to cancellations straight away, a nice bloke called Paul answered who actually wanted to help me.
    I assume that a note was added to my account after I tweeted them yesterday to complain, I told him I'm cancelling because we've taken a second line on my husbands account, and I've called four times to do this already and been told four different things, so I am just curious as to what he's going to tell me today.
    He just said 'sorry about that, it's fine, I've cancelled that for you, there is nothing else to pay, I've added a credit to your account to cover the last bill as you only have 45 days left of your contract, I'll cancel your DD too' :rotfl:

Yay for complaining publicly!!! :T:T

In other news, we got confirmation that the paperwork for the new house has been posted to my FIL to sign ready for us moving in.
    AND, FIL has said he will give us some money as an early anniversary present to help us with the move :j Today has been a good day.

Just trying to tick some more things off my list this evening, starting with the books. Ziffit pay 8p per book (on the limited selection that they will accept). EIGHT PENCE. I guess this is equivalent to the 10 and 20p's I got for the DVD's and CD's, but it seems so much less when its a single figure :(
  • misstara
    misstara Posts: 3,883 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    :T yay for finally getting Vodafone sorted. And for FIL giving you some money for the move. Definitely a good day :)
    Debt Dec 2022 - £2972.68. Current debt - £0 (100% paid). Flat deposit - £10794.85/£15000 (72% saved). Emergency fund - £1533.14/£2000 (76.7% saved).
  • AleMrsT
    Options
    I have spent the morning scanning and sorting the blu rays and books that we are still hoping to get rid of, I scanned with zapper on the app on my phone, total came to £58.72. Copied the bar codes across to three other sites (included Ziffit on this round as they accept books), grand total is now £101.12! A massive increase of £42.40!! :T:j Honestly, if you're getting rid of media stuff, definitely spend time filtering through all four sites to get the best prices.

The best part is that I can get cashback from TCB for three out of the four sites, one of them is 5%, but won't know until I've submitted the orders.

Also put the other stuff that the bulk buy sites wouldnt accept on the local selling page on FB. Sick of the clutter now!

It did make me smile, zapper seems to be ran by a (single) woman, take a look at the items that they paid more out on than the other three sites:

Backstreet's Back - Backstreet Boys
    £0.20

Bridget Jones 2: The Edge of Reason [DVD] [2004]
    £0.25

Dirty Dancing [DVD]
    £0.25

The Sweetest Thing [DVD]
    £0.25

The Holiday [DVD] [2006]
    £0.25

My Best Friend's Wedding [DVD] [2002]
    £0.25

Pretty Woman (15th Anniversary Special Edition) [DVD] [1990]
    £0.25

Angus, Thongs and Perfect Snogging [DVD]
    £0.25

How To Lose A Guy In 10 Days [DVD] [2003]
    £0.25

Crazy/Beautiful [DVD] [2001]
    £0.25

Grease [DVD] [1978]
    £0.25

Sex and the City: The Movie [2008] [DVD]
    £0.25

Just Friends [DVD]
    £0.25
    :rotfl::rotfl:
  • twiggy86
    twiggy86 Posts: 2,144 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Arhh, MrsT you're making me feel bad as I still haven't been through my CDs/DVDs! I really don't have that many so I cant see me reaching £100 no matter how much I shop around! Well done for doing it though! And good result you finally got Vodaphone sorted!
    Starting again..
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport