We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Grown our own, complete novice questions

Options

Comments

• nicola00
    nicola00 Posts: 337 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Instead of those planters I'd buy the kids a growbag (or 2) each. Cheaper, and they're already full. You can grow salad crops in them, radishes etc, but they won't be deep enough for carrots unless you cut them in half around the middle and stand them on end.

You can certainly grow something in the little space once you've taken the turf off. Dig it over and see what the soil's like. You could perhaps try a few strawberry plants in there.

I wouldn't be buying anything (except growbags / seeds) just yet, as people out there are giving things away left, right and centre. ;)

Thanks MBE I might get the kids a small grow bag each and let them have total control over it, what they grow, looking after its etc and the little veg patch and the planters can be a joint effort...... be gutted tho if the kids turn out better than mine :rotfl:
  • cootambear
    cootambear Posts: 1,474 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    nicola00 wrote: »
    Poundland Purchases th_Purchase.png

The gardening section was a bit cramped and evereything just kinda flung in so I didn't really get a good look as the kids were going on about what they were gonna spend their pound on , had told them to look at the easter crafts but in the end they both picked a packet of flower bulbs each

But came away with 3 potato planters, Sweet Corn, Cucumber, Potato and a bag of compost. So £7 from budget so far

I will go to another poundland or Aldi,HB tomorrow when I don't have the kids

What else should be top of my shopping list with the remainder of budget, I know I will need to get lots more compost, will I need any tools?

for pots, you can get away with just a trowel
    Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2 = 4 (George Orwell, 1984).

(I desire) ‘a great production that will supply all, and more than all the people can consume’,

(Sylvia Pankhurst).
  • nicola00
    Options
    Well it's fair to say the snows brought a halt to my garden plans for today. Thought I could get the area turned over see what the soils like

Although the snow hasnt come to much yet (light flurries) its a bit wild with the wind and freezing chill in the air
  • Leif
    Leif Posts: 3,727 Forumite
    Options
    coff wrote: »
    Go to pound land they have a ton of stuff for the garden lots of veg seeds, tubs and bags of 15lts of compost .

I bought 3 x 60L bags of Horizon organic peat free compost at a local Hilliers for £12 i.e. £4 for 60L or £1 per L. They did 5 x 50L for £15 of another brand, non organic. I bet the Hillier compost is better than the Poundland.
    Warning: This forum may contain nuts.
  • kerri_dfw
    kerri_dfw Posts: 4,556 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    http://www.thompson-morgan.com/vip/default-incentives/garden-equipment-collection/inc96029TM

is this one of those too good to be true moments??

P&P seems high just for seeds
    I just received this today, took a month to arrive and I'm pleased for £15 I got double hanging basket, secateurs, window trough, lots of bags for growing in (3 big green ones, 2 narrow ones, 2 tomato ones), 2 things of bulb fertilisers, gloves, 3 sieves (well I think they're sieves), and a cone type thing for helping water the plants
    Diary: Getting back on track for 2013 and beyond
    DEBT FREE 13-10-13 :dance::dance::dance::dance::dance:
    Beautiful daughter born 11.1.14
    Mortgage: [STRIKE]£399,435.91[/STRIKE] £377218.83
    Deposit loan from Dad: £9000[STRIKE]£10000[/STRIKE]
  • nicola00
    Options
    kerri_dfw wrote: »
    I just received this today, took a month to arrive and I'm pleased for £15 I got double hanging basket, secateurs, window trough, lots of bags for growing in (3 big green ones, 2 narrow ones, 2 tomato ones), 2 things of bulb fertilisers, gloves, 3 sieves (well I think they're sieves), and a cone type thing for helping water the plants

I wonder if its a standard pack or if the contents differ , like a lucky dip
  • annie123
    annie123 Posts: 4,256 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    You'll get some good ideas from here:
    http://www.container-gardening-for-food.com/index.html
  • nicola00
    Options
    Think I might need to take my porridge before I attempt another go at the ground.

It was freezing and wet but I was determined that blooming snow wasn't going to ruin my plans lol

I didn't get very far and gave up about 10 mins in, Oh well there's always tomorrow
  • Foxy0810
    Foxy0810 Posts: 143 Forumite
    Options
    Here are few freebies to get you on your way.

Free tomato seed:
    http://www.papasbigtomatochallenge.com/register-and-order-seeds

Free pea, sweetcorn and carrot seed:
    https://www.facebook.com/birdseye/app_167705676678807

Codes for the one above are - Then enter codes: GROWCARROTS, GROWPEAS or GROWCORN using L2025

Thank you've ordered mine :T
  • Foxy0810
    Foxy0810 Posts: 143 Forumite
    Options

Would be interesting to see how the hanging basket strawberries turn out. Just had a read at some of the articles on the Vertical veg, Oh my, the photo of the front of her house with her windows full of pots , wonder how the neighbors feel about that, but just goes to show, space needn't be an issue. Will go to the library this week and see if there is any gardening magazines

My strawberries grow in hanging baskets they are great :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure