A Fool and Her Money- CAFCGIRL's Debt Diary

Hi All,

Apologies in advance for the self indulgence, but like those above me, this is my one way of keeping track on myself!:o
Besides this way I feel like I'm more responsible and answerable to the gods of the board to keep this struggle an uphill one!

So heres the gory details,
I'm 22, sharing a flat, close to city centre, work full time as an assistant manager in a retail store, have a boyfriend and a gorgeous house rabbit called Peanuts.:T

The salary take-home is £880, total pants for the work that I do:eek: , am on the lookout, but I do like my job! Asked on friday for serious convo about payrise, was told no chance, nothing personal but company have frozen all recruitment and pay-talks due to takeover.:mad:

Got myself a credit card, simply because I could, if I'm being honest! 20years old and days to pay it off ahead of me.
Used all the credit there, paying £50 a month (limit of £1500). Had whacking great council tax bill of £900, plus a three year bill from British Gas for me and (previous) flatmate of £1,000!

So tried to face it all head on, got myself an unsecured loan, got suckered in by bank telling me I was getting a good deal based on credit rating, i.e living in rented acc' poor salary. So that was £3,000

Now heres the real honesty. I blew it!:eek: :eek: :eek: Paid off the credit card, paid off council tax bill, and just frittered the rest, by the time I had realised, my share of gas bill was still no smaller:mad: ! Now I'll be honest when I got the loan I'd forgotten about a £450 store card, which did get paid off, but then something else didnt etc. I didnt give myself a detailed enough plan for what to pay off etc.:doh:

So the interest and PPI (which I'm desperately trying to get cancelled) means my total to repay on loan is £4,800!: _pale_
And I managed to spank the credit card again. A victim of my youth and some seriously deluded moments about my own self worth etc.Self diagnosed (with a little medical assistance) slight depression.
So the credit card went to £1,400 again
Add together
4,800 -Loan
1,400 - CC
580 -Store card
240 -Staff card
600 -Gas bill
So thats £7620

The loan has had about 3 payments made
So currently I'm around about 7200(my signature lies)

Small efforts I have made to this include:
Applied for I.F credit card, giving me 4.95% p.a on BT for life of all BT made within 6 months of opening.
Unfortunately credit limit wasnt as much as Abbey credit card so only transferred £1,100, but better than paying 18.9% on balance to Abbey!
Have written to Abbey requesting cancellation of PPI on both credit card and loan with little response.I don't quite understand why its difficult!!
Am in the process of seriously reviewing budgets and current acc statements to find where the hell my money does go!

I'm looking to get myself up to date, besides the loan balance, in two years which should be difficult, because then I plan to make early repayment to the loan if I can.:T

So by doing this diary, I'm in the vain hope that I will keep myself on the straight and narrow. I've been making some small changes in the two months prior to this posting, but have decided that today is the dayNo more fart ar*ing around.

I spent it
Now its time to pay it back:naughty:

Please be gentle with me, sometimes I do need a small push in the right direction and right now I'm quite happy to try what I can!
I've posted SOA before and got some great advice. Have discovered that my main controllable expenditure goes on
TESCO!
This place should be a category all of its own for me!
All those little £7.19 add up!:silenced:
Manifesting Abundance in 2023
Fashion On The Ration 2023 36/66

Comments

• newleaf
    newleaf Posts: 3,132 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker PPI Party Pooper
    Just want to say Hi and welcome. I'm very new here myself and like you I've been skirting round the problem for a while, and making little 'adjustments', but I have well and truly woken up now. We'll all make it, you, me and all the other newbies as long as we keep posting and encourage each other when things get tricky. There's a wealth of goodwill and support here on this site from people who've been there, seen it, done it, seen the film, read the book and got the Tshirt. They make it much easier for us, but the real challenge is really wanting to change. I just want to wish you luck, I'll be riding alongside for a long way yet!
    Official DFW Nerd No 096 - Proud to have dealt with my debt!
  • CAFCGirl
    CAFCGirl Posts: 9,122 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Thanks a lot.The support I've been receiving so far has been so invaluable I couldn't even put it into words!

The latest plan is thus:
    £100 will be drawn out of the bank on payday.And that will be it.I can feed myself, dress myself and keep myself in vaguely reasonable health on that amount of money.

The only things allowed to be paid out from my account after that are rent,debt repayments and bills!
    We'll see where I get to at the end of the month!
  • Sea78
    Sea78 Posts: 6,185 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Good luck for the next month and I hoep you manage to ge the PPI finally cancelled! You sound like you have a strong plan of action :)

Sea xx
    CCCS DMP:Feb 07
    Total:£37,016.47 now £0 DEBT FREE FEB 14

2022 Decluttering Campaign 49/1011
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,179 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Great idea for next month CAFC Girl
    See how it goes&7 you can always tweak it!
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • DaisyNelson
    DaisyNelson Posts: 763 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Good luck with this. Diary sounds like a great idea and posting it really helps other people too.
    One half of the world cannot understand the pleasures of the other
  • kar
    kar Posts: 218 Forumite
    Go on the warpath against that dreaded PPI. Have you tried going into a branch of Abbey and speaking to someone important. (if they say no they aren't important enough and demand they get their manager). Don't leave till it's done.

Good luck with the £100 for the month thing. Should be doable me thinks.
    Current Mortgage - £156,633:eek:
    Expecting baby no. one on 27th Oct 2010
  • Kevicho
    Kevicho Posts: 3,216 Forumite
    Dont feel bad about the past, start looking to the future

And take good care of peanuts (i used to have a rabbit)
  • CAFCGirl
    Thanks all!
    Day one of the new regime. Have spent money:eek:
    However it was on stuff I did need, womanly stuff an' all! Have always managed to score a copy of Martin's book to help the regime.:T

Managed to take lunch to work today, and made dinner for flatmate and me completely out of the cupboard!OK so it was just pasta with spag bol sauce mixed over it, but we ate it and we're happy.:T

Taking heed from previous advice.I'm thinking of going into Abbey on thursday (day off) and tell them that I'm having no joy by post and I'm not leaving till it's done!

Although I'm not sure about the terms and conditions of my loan agreement and how easy it's going to be to cancel it.:mad:
  • CAFCGirl
    Day Two
    Regime not going fantastically. Got sent home from work as really didnt feel too good, but now that I've had a sit down I do feel a bit better.

Spent money again (grrr)£5 in wilkinsons, on detergent etc.Also got some talc to put around my door as evening without fail we seem to have a little army of wood lice come to hang out around the door frame. A couple was ok, but I'm talking bordering infestation. So we'll see how that one goes.

Sent off application for new job too, so hoping to hear back from that.

Am doing quite well with the budget I gave myself,£20 to last till friday, and it's tuesday, and I've spent just over £10!

Even more money saving, when I got home from work, I was going to pop to the shop for something to snack on.Made myself get my lunch for work out of bag, and ate that. Thats how wasteful I would have been before!
  • CAFCGirl
    Small update.
    Got home to find Martin's book has arrived in post! Woohoo.
    Day off from work tomorrow so will spend till the wee hours reading up.

Also going to try and make myself a debt action plan of things that I can do that might make a difference!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family