Why am I not losing weight?

Options

Comments

• Upsidedown_Bear
    Options
    The NHS BMI calculator says that for a woman of 5' 7 the healthy weight range is 8st 6 to 11st 6.
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    SailorSam wrote: »
    Ignore the tables. Cuddly women are much sexier.

In my 60s I don't somehow think I can "do sexy" any more:rotfl:. But I can do elegant - and that means I need to be slim.

Add the extra weight had started to impact on my knees - and awkward movements and wincing definitely aint sexy:rotfl:
  • heuchera
    heuchera Posts: 1,825 Forumite
    Options
    It's probably your metabolism. Eat more and you burn more off, eat less and your body holds onto the food more.

I don't keep scales in the house anymore. It's not worth stressing over lbs and ounces! If you look ok and you feel ok, you're ok :)
    left the forum due to trolling/other nonsense
  • amiaspden
    amiaspden Posts: 134 Forumite
    Options
    movinghelp wrote: »
    Over this time I've probably lost about 6 lbs and an inch or so off my waist and hips. I wanted to lose nearer 10 (2lbs a week).

To lose one pound of fat, you need to create a calorie deficit of 3500. So for two pounds a week, you would need a deficit of 7000 calories, or 1000 calories a day. That is, you would need to eat 1000 calories LESS than you were burning, every single day.

Two pounds a week is a realistic goal for a seriously obese person, who might need 3000 or more calories a day just to maintain their current weight, so cutting by 1000 isn't such a hardship. But for someone who is already small, it is not realistic. I only need about 1800 calories a day to maintain my current weight (just under 9 stone) and I'm quite active, so if I wanted to lose 2 pounds in a week I'd have to go down to 800 a day, which would be silly and clearly couldn't be maintained for long.

When you are already close to your goal weight, a pound or two a month is good going.

By the way, starvation mode isn't really a thing. People plateau because their basic calorie requirement becomes less as they get smaller.
  • chuckley
    chuckley Posts: 4,405 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    agreed, you're not eating enough or the right things.
  • movinghelp
    Options
    Okay makes sense so I'll stick to a minimum of 1,200 calories, stay off the booze till I go and try and up my veg intake. I am eating at least 2 pieces of fruit and 2 veg a day already, upped my fish intake and cut back on carbs.

My issue is I love rice and noodles so have just been cutting down the amount I eat. I don't have much of a sweet tooth so have been avoiding crisps which are my downfall. Other issue is work, we get a tonne of free food and my OH is a prolific snacker so got to work on my willpower.
  • tiger_eyes
    tiger_eyes Posts: 1,006 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    1200 calories is an absolute minimum for most adults, and if you're hitting the gym eight times a week, you may need substantially more to fuel your exercise while still losing weight at a healthy rate. Exercising a lot while seriously under-eating will certainly burn fat, but it can also result in loss of lean body mass, including muscle. A calorie-counting website like MyFitnessPal will calculate how many calories you can eat each day while still losing weight - and if you burn more calories exercising, you can eat them back (as the calorie deficit is already factored in). :)
  • movinghelp
    Options
    I do use myfitnesspal so I feel like my calories are fairly accurate, I'm not sure if my body is just holding on to fat?!
  • ElusiveLucy
    Options
    Have you ever thought that the exercise you are doing is building muscle which weighs heavier than fat?
    What goes around comes around.....I hope!
  • Just_a_Girl_2
    Options
    Have you ever thought that the exercise you are doing is building muscle which weighs heavier than fat?

No, she won't be. Most of the exercise she's doing is cardio based and to gain any appreciable amount of muscle, she'd need to be eating an excess of calories.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure