Avios Points Boosting guide discussion

Options

Comments

• Nick_C
    Nick_C Posts: 7,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    Incidentally, the BA Amex voucher isn't an upgrade voucher. It gives two tickets for one Avios payment, regardless of the class of travel booked. It does give best value in the premium cabins though.

If you don't want to take a risk on getting the flights you want as redemptions, then perhaps Avios is not the scheme for you. But it is what this thread is about, and it works well for many.
  • Fletchasketch
    Options
    I think that's taking a rather simplistic view. Not every customer is chasing the high avios business class fares, for some of us, the benefit is in being able to take last minute trips to Europe (where availability is good) for £35 plus a handful of Avios. For these people, the Amex Gold is definitely going to be a better bet. Like I said, there's no one size fits all answer to the credit card question.
    May'18 DEBT FREE!

£6025 PB's: £1427 Nutmeg Pot: £51'174 Company Shares £512.09 InvestEngine £8.21 Freetrade £569.46 Stake
    £2457.92 TCB.
  • Nick_C
    Options
    If you are only interested in short haul "Reward Flight Savers", then I agree, the BAPP is probably not the right card for you.

However, we were both commenting on a post by BigDunc who is specifically saving for a long haul business class flight in a couple of years time. He will want a two for one voucher to get the best value from this redemption.

I think to pull together both our opinions, BigDunc's best strategy may be

1) Now - apply for the Amex Gold charge card, spend £2K in 3 months for the 20,000 sign up bonus. Also collect 1 avios for each £1 spent. If he gets an existing cardholder to refer him, the sign up bonus will be 22,000 Avios.

See http://www.headforpoints.com/2016/10/26/amex-american-express-preferred-rewards-gold-charge-card-uk-review-2/

2) Once the Amex Gold charge card comes through, cancel the free BA card

3) June (possibly earlier, depending on monthly spend) apply for the Lloyds Avios cards. £24 fee, but earn 2.5 Avios to the pound for six months. If Big Dunc is not currently a Lloyds customer, then there is a possible 4,500 sign up bonus if he is referred by an existing customer.

http://www.headforpoints.com/2016/11/05/review-lloyds-avios-rewards-credit-card-2/

4) Once the Lloyds cards are received and he's got the 22,000 sign up bonus from the Amex Gold, cancel the Amex Gold.

5) December ish - once a clear six months has passed since the Amex Gold account has been closed, apply to Amex as a new customer for the BAPP. 18,000 sign up bonus, or 19,000 if referred by an existing card holder.

So a potential 45,000 avios just in sign up bonuses. And you only need 125,000 for an off peak return for two (in Club World) to Florida or the West Coast.
  • Fletchasketch
    Options
    This is a solid strategy, like it a lot!
    May'18 DEBT FREE!

£6025 PB's: £1427 Nutmeg Pot: £51'174 Company Shares £512.09 InvestEngine £8.21 Freetrade £569.46 Stake
    £2457.92 TCB.
  • Nick_C
    Options
    Some good earning opportunities this weekend on the BA Avios e-store, or the Avios e-store.

https://www.shopping.ba.com/
    or
    https://shopping.avios.com/en/

These sites work like Top Cashback or Quidco, but pay in Avios instead of cash.

It's often better to use TCB and buy Avios at 0.95p per Avios, but this weekend both Avios sites are offering double Avios until midnight on Sunday.

Eg, Holland & Barrett, 20 Avios/£ (TCB 12%)
    Ryman, 16 Avios/£ (TCB 9.2%)
    Thornton's, 16 Avios/£ (TCB 10%)
    Tesco Wine Direct, 10 Avios/£ (TCB 8%)
    Argos, 4 Avios/£ (TCB 1.1%)
    John Lewis 4 Avios/£ (no cashback available!)

And many many more
  • PeacefulWaters
    PeacefulWaters Posts: 8,495 Forumite
    Options
    Nick_C wrote: »
    Some good earning opportunities this weekend on the BA Avios e-store, or the Avios e-store.

https://www.shopping.ba.com/
    or
    https://shopping.avios.com/en/

These sites work like Top Cashback or Quidco, but pay in Avios instead of cash.

It's often better to use TCB and buy Avios at 0.95p per Avios, but this weekend both Avios sites are offering double Avios until midnight on Sunday.

Eg, Holland & Barrett, 20 Avios/£ (TCB 12%)
    Ryman, 16 Avios/£ (TCB 9.2%)
    Thornton's, 16 Avios/£ (TCB 10%)
    Tesco Wine Direct, 10 Avios/£ (TCB 8%)
    Argos, 4 Avios/£ (TCB 1.1%)
    John Lewis 4 Avios/£ (no cashback available!)

And many many more
    Great examples.
  • c45arlo
    c45arlo Posts: 66 Forumite
    Options
    Had Avios E-store points retracted last week from an Appliance Direct purchase no valid reason. Struggling to get them restored for an item purchased in November last year which was not returned for refund. Avios are not coming up with a satisfactory response at this time.
  • Nick_C
    Options
    c45arlo wrote: »
    Had Avios E-store points retracted last week from an Appliance Direct purchase no valid reason. Struggling to get them restored for an item purchased in November last year which was not returned for refund. Avios are not coming up with a satisfactory response at this time.

Sadly, you will occasionally get transactions rejected from TCB and Quidco as well. But it's always worth trying these sites. You have nothing to lose.
  • richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    BTW Avios redeeming availability is good for tomorrow from London City, Gatwick and Heathrow to Nice.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • anotherbigspender
    Options
    Hi,

I'm new to all of this but have just started reading up on Avios collecting with the aim of part paying / upgrading flights to New York in 18 months or so.

I currently have, and have had for years, an Amex Platinum card which pays cashback in November. Can I apply for one of the Avios reward Amex cards and get the sign up bonuses or do I need to cancel my current card (after the cash back has paid) and wait six months until I can apply?

If the latter, my wife is a secondary card holder on my account. Could she apply for a Avios reward Amex and get the bonuses and then go through the referral procedure for me in six months?

Thanks
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport