Meter Registration Service ???!!!

Options

Comments

• KangaR
    Options
    I just called back the person I spoke to at Opus earlier, and she's passed it on to her registration team leader, and they say that when the order comes through, they won't register it. They will, however, set up an account for us on their system, but they won't try to register as our supplier. She's going to send me a letter to that effect and an email with our recorded conversations as soon as she hears back from her team leader, which should be today or tomorrow. Is that OK, to have an account on their system but to protected from being "registered", or is there anything about "having an account" that I haven't understood? She isn't yet able to tell me about termination fees and so on.
  • Is that OK, to have an account on their system but to protected from being "registered", or is there anything about "having an account" that I haven't understood? She isn't yet able to tell me about termination fees and so on.

Many suppliers have "accounts" on their systems. These include billed accounts, unbilled accounts, dead accounts and often failed transfer accounts (your catagory). Some suppliers keep this information indefinetely and others delete it. I believe that you will be ok if you have done everything previously suggested although there can never be a guarantee (suppliers still make mistakes). I wouldn't expect Opus to continue with the registration of you account now, especially if they are prepared to send the recording of your conversation with them.

One thing I can state is that I have yet to see a termination fee enforced by a supplier upon any customer who hasn't actually been supplied. E4B used to try this (not sure if they still do) as a way to get a customer to deal with an objected supply transfer, however I haven't heard of a customer actually paying the "Termination Fee"

I cant see Opus trying that either.
  • KangaR
    Options
    Opus just phoned back and said they had the contract through and were going to shred it. I asked for email confirmation and have just got the following:

"I am writing with reference to our recent telephone conversation regarding the verbal agreement on 24th September 2008. In light of your dissatisfaction, I can confirm Opus Energy Ltd will not be going ahead with this contract. I trust this communication clarifies the situation. I hope you will consider Opus Energy Ltd in the future for your energy needs."

...which I assume lets me out! Hooray! Thank you so much for all your info, everyone, and especially for BEB's speedy help! If anyone else is in a similar position, it did seem to help that I started politely with Opus and that I said that we already had a supplier. And also that they hadn't supplied anything yet. I suspect it might have been very different by the time we got our first bill. The number was 0800 630 0841 and I originally spoke to Alex (am I allowed to give that information? If not I can edit it out.) who was very helpful. Keep fighting the dark side, BEB, you're great!
  • Two good results then so far
  • 45XKM
    Options
    duckwing wrote: »
    Just had a call from this co. saying that they were going to fit a new meter on 1st August when I asked why he said the 5th digit was going to fast on our meter so we would be paying too much then he asked about our contract. We have never had one so he then wanted to set one up. I said he would have to speak to my husband. I also said I though the meter belonged to our supplier E on the meter is marked property of Norweb who Eon took over. Think there is something fishy, going to ring Eon tomorrow in meantime can any one tell me if this is just a cold call or what?
    This company(Meter registration service) is a call centre in manchester set up by another broker from preston they are nothing but "con men" put politely! They are perstistant in what they say and you end up doubting yourself always check with your current supplier first.
  • Wickywhite
    Options
    I foolishly fell for their tricks just over a week ago and was blissfully unaware until British Gas callled us to tell us that Opus had put us on a rate higher than the emergency tariff we were on before. I then found this thread. I'm kicking myself fo falling for their spiel, but as they well know, I was extremely busy after moving business premises and tolerated a week of persistent calls telling me that they were a government body and the calls would continue until our details were removed from their system, which was when we agreed new tariffs with a supplier.
    I chose Opus as I was offered a deal with no standing charge ( My contract shows 19.72 pence per day) and was the second cheapest of the list he gave me with a fixed rate term of 4 years. The nil standing charge won it for me.
    Last week we contacted Opus customer services and made a complaint about the Meter Regsistration Services underhand tactics and were told we would be contacted by return. We received a letter over the weekend detailing Opus's Complains charter which we have read and have now contacted their Operations Director by e-mail.
    We also had a call yesterday with a possibility of renegotiating our rates but we want out of the contract.
    Interestingly enough we have had calls from Commercial Power, The Electricity registration Board and Telephone registration today. We have told them all not to call us again, some have even wished us luck with Opus!
    I have contacted Trading Standards today who have basically told me to follow the advice given on here and Opus complaints charter, but they have also logged my complaint.

Any advice would be gratefully received. Thanks.
  • FES_Ltd
    Options
    As an energy broker within the electric and gas industry, I completly agree that this sales role is complete nonsense to the customer and is only used to push you into a supplier that the broker recieves the highest comission from usually meaning, you, the customer being put on a 3-5 year fixed price contract with the rates being substantional higher than those of companies such as Eon or Scottish Power.
    They sell for independant electric suppliers as they pay the most comission due to their high rates.
    If speaking to the right sales person than the sale is of peace of mind to the customer (if put on a good rate, contract, good supplier etc) not on one of those of the independant companies rates as this WILL cause financial worry to new business start ups .

DO NOT DISREGARD THE CALL AS IT COULD BE OF POTENTIAL USE TO YOU WITH THE INCREASE OF ENERGY RATES BUT JUST BE SMART WITH THE RATES GIVEN... DO NOT PAY MORE THAN

25.00 POUNDS PER QUATER STANDING CHARGE

AND NO MORE THAN

14.00-15.00 PENCE PER UNIT
  • BusinessEnergyBroker
    Options
    DO NOT PAY MORE THAN

25.00 POUNDS PER QUATER STANDING CHARGE

AND NO MORE THAN

14.00-15.00 PENCE PER UNIT

Dont take this the wrong way but I suspect that you havent been a broker very long?

Its a very ambiguous statement. You should be aware that its possible to pay over £100 a month in standing charges alone for the larger supplies.

Telling people not to pay over £25 qtr is just bad advice as business tarrifs are complex and often site specific.
  • fatlad1971
    Options
    Dont take this the wrong way but I suspect that you havent been a broker very long?

Its a very ambiguous statement. You should be aware that its possible to pay over £100 a month in standing charges alone for the larger supplies.

Telling people not to pay over £25 qtr is just bad advice as business tarrifs are complex and often site specific.

Very true point

also FES ltd may wish to mention the thousands of Scottish power and eon customers who have signed fixed price contracts in the last 4 months and they have not gone live due to these companies not even applying because their registration departments are in disarray. Many of these poeple are being charged deemed rates and some (E4B) customers have been automatically renewed for 2 years at much higher prices because the new supplier has not applied in time due to their registration department breaking down.
    Both scottish powers and eons registrations are at the moment absouloutly shocking and are costing SME customers very dearly.
  • I agree with about your point about Scottish Power and Eon re E4B, however there is light at the end of the tunnel and I will post more on the other thread regarding E4B.

As stated we have acheived the desired result and Scottish Power have agreed to pay the contract termination fee directly to E4B so that the customers transfer to Scottish Power can take place. In addition they are paying compensation to us.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure