Cheap Travel Money Discussion Area

Options

Comments

• Biggles
    Biggles Posts: 8,209 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Thanks, it is broken down into counties and maintained locally - but I've managed to grasp enough Spanish to find what I was looking for in S.America
    You're lucky, I tried the main MasterCard ATM Locator and they didn't bring up a single one. Not for any country, even the USA!
    ;-)
  • John_Pierpoint
    John_Pierpoint Posts: 8,391 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 5 May 2011 at 2:00PM
    Options
    You did not try hard enough;)

I went round and round in circles a few times between mastercard (global) and mastercard (local) and eventually got a pop up offering all the towns in the country with their number of machines.
    Choosing a town took me to a Google map with a "tack" for each supposed ATM.

I was really only wanting to check that they were reasonably readily available. Nearer the time I will print off the towns I am visiting.
  • adindas
    adindas Posts: 6,819 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Thank you for let me know ...
    luci wrote: »
    I don't have a positive balance as I have a considerable amount of purchases as well as the cash advance.
  • Asmodeus666
    Options
    Hi All,

We are going to Florida soon and are looking to get travel money. I have a Tesco Credit Card linked to my clubcard and was thinking of using it to get travel money (we pay the card off every month). The Tesco site says that there is no cash advance fee and no handling fee. I was just wondering if anyone else has done that and whether it is generally a good idea or is there likely to be hidden fees that would make it a bad idea.

We have a Halifax Clarity card to take away with us for purchases so just intend to take about $1000 for everything else.

Thanks in advance
  • Baldur
    Baldur Posts: 6,565 Forumite
    Options
    We are going to Florida soon and are looking to get travel money. I have a Tesco Credit Card linked to my clubcard and was thinking of using it to get travel money (we pay the card off every month). The Tesco site says that there is no cash advance fee and no handling fee.
    Not the part of the Tesco site that I'm looking at, assuming that you have the Clubcard Credit Card - http://www.tescofinance.com/personal/finance/finance/creditcards/clubcc/summary-box.jsp
    Cash advances 3.0% handling fee, minimum of £3.00
    Balance transfers 2.9% handling fee during the first 9 months from account opening
    Foreign exchange 2.75% exchange fee (including purchases of foreign currency and Travellers Cheques)
  • Hyp3rion
    Hyp3rion Posts: 52 Forumite
    Options
    Hi all,

I am going to Turkey in a couple of weeks and have only just stumbled across this travel money section so I may be a little late in getting something in place.

We intend to take 1000-1500 spending money on our hols and I was wondering what method would be best for us. I do have a Halifax Reward account so should I consider getting the clarity card and use that to withdraw cash from ATM's in Turkey?

Regards

Mike
  • Baldur
    Options
    Hyp3rion wrote: »
    ......I was wondering what method would be best for us. I do have a Halifax Reward account so should I consider getting the clarity card and use that to withdraw cash from ATM's in Turkey?
    Your choice, really - if you have no fee-free debit cards, e.g. Metro Bank or Norwich & Peterborough, then the Clarity card is a reasonable option, especially if you are only going for a week or two.

Just remember to pay the balance off as soon as possible to minimise interest.

If you have a Reward a/c credited with £1,000 per month, you can apply for the Clarity Reward card, which also credits £5 to your account if you spend (as opposed to withdrawing cash via ATMs) £300 or more on the card in a statement month.
  • chrestomanci
    chrestomanci Posts: 184 Forumite
    Options
    Can someone sum up and recommend one of either citibank or npbs? I've read both sites, and have been looking through the forums. Both seem to offer free withdrawals, but npbs needs a £500 monthly deposit.. So citibank seems like the better option. Am I missing something?

Thanks.
  • Baldur
    Options
    qwertymz wrote: »
    Can someone sum up and recommend one of either citibank or npbs? I've read both sites, and have been looking through the forums. Both seem to offer free withdrawals, but npbs needs a £500 monthly deposit.. So citibank seems like the better option. Am I missing something?
    Presumably, you will be depositing funds in Sterling and with the Citibank account, would be locking in the Citibank exchange rate on the date of deposit, which may or may not be a good rate by the time that you wish to use the funds.

The VISA debit card issued by N&P uses the VISA rate for the date that the withdrawal is posted.
  • chrestomanci
    chrestomanci Posts: 184 Forumite
    Options
    Baldur wrote: »
    Presumably, you will be depositing funds in Sterling and with the Citibank account, would be locking in the Citibank exchange rate on the date of deposit, which may or may not be a good rate by the time that you wish to use the funds.

The VISA debit card issued by N&P uses the VISA rate for the date that the withdrawal is posted.

Hmm... I guess another advantage of N&P is that it would be available to be used "anywhere". Some more research is required... if anyone has any other thoughts on Citi vs N&P, I'd be happy to hear them. :)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback