Bank Charges Reclaiming Guide discussion

Options

Comments

• flipflopfizz
    Options
    Hi I have recently started to reclaim my bank charges back and am at presence only at the 1st stage of asking the bank for my data protection info. After a lot of stalling from the bank I have now received a letter relating to records held at collection center from there achives, but on it is no mention of the charges incurred. Does anyone know if this comes seperately from the RBS or if I need to do something else??
    Thanks
  • Premier_2
    Premier_2 Posts: 15,141 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi I have recently started to reclaim my bank charges back and am at presence only at the 1st stage of asking the bank for my data protection info. After a lot of stalling from the bank I have now received a letter relating to records held at collection center from there achives, but on it is no mention of the charges incurred. Does anyone know if this comes seperately from the RBS or if I need to do something else??
    Thanks

Can you give us more information as to what the letter actually says please?
    "Now to trolling as a concept. .... Personally, I've always found it a little sad that people choose to spend such a large proportion of their lives in this way but they do, and we have to deal with it." - MSE Forum Manager 6th July 2010
  • huckleberry
    Options
    help with banck charge reclaiming please

I just wrote out my second letter to bank and need to re-calculate the charges but when i click on the tab to bring up the calculator it doesn't appear. Is it just me or is this happening with everyone? Please advise?
  • Premier_2
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    help with banck charge reclaiming please

I just wrote out my second letter to bank and need to re-calculate the charges but when i click on the tab to bring up the calculator it doesn't appear. Is it just me or is this happening with everyone? Please advise?

Currently working fine here :)
    (Using IE8)
    "Now to trolling as a concept. .... Personally, I've always found it a little sad that people choose to spend such a large proportion of their lives in this way but they do, and we have to deal with it." - MSE Forum Manager 6th July 2010
  • julesybaby
    Options
    I'm sorry if this is the wrong place to ask this, I don't use forums so I'm not sure!

My boyfriend went over his overdraft of £100 a couple of years ago by about 20p. He was charged £35. He'd just left home at the time after an argument with his parents, so he didn't see his bank statement about the £35 charge - he thought he was still in his free overdraft limit. About a year ago he checked his balance online and found there'd been more charges and he was more like £600 over his overdraft.

He stuck his head in the sand until very recently when he made up with his parents and they gave him a pile of old mail - including a solicitors' letter demanding £1027 on behalf of the bank.

Should he call the solicitors and arrange to start paying off the money and then start complaining to the bank, or should he start by complaining to the bank and ignore the solicitors? He wants to try to reclaim at least some of the charges (since all this started because he went overdrawn by 20p), but will we be getting bailiffs at the door if he doesn't pay right now? He owes money to car finance companies and on a mobile phone contract etc as well which I've told him to start paying off asap. He's only on minimum wage so it'll take a long time to pay off all the other things even without the bank charges factored in.

If anyone could give me some pointers that would be fab.

Thanks so much for reading this, I hope someone can help me!
    xx
  • Premier_2
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    julesybaby wrote: »
    Should he call the solicitors and arrange to start paying off the money ...

churchill_dog-oh_yes.jpg

After leaving matters for a year, he's not going to get much from the bank now.
  • ianris
    Options
    Hi there,

recieved my letter from the hsbc to say that were were waiting on the outcome of the BBA at court?

they have advised me to wait till the court case is decieded and they will contact me once there is outcome.

do i contact the FOS or wait?
  • Premier_2
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    ianris wrote: »
    Hi there,

recieved my letter from the hsbc to say that were were waiting on the outcome of the BBA at court?

they have advised me to wait till the court case is decieded and they will contact me once there is outcome.

do i contact the FOS or wait?
    What did you contact your bank about? :huh:

Was it using the details in the article referred to in the OP? :huh:

Or were you attempting to reclaim PPI?

If so, there's a different board to discuss that
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.php?f=169
  • BigCraigJohn
    BigCraigJohn Posts: 1,082 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 11 March 2011 at 2:00AM
    Options
    Hi all just after a bit of advice as to whether you think its worth going for the hardship argurement and whether you think my arguement holds any weight?. Wondering if theres any chance of me getting any charges back?. I have got 10 years of statements although I gather its only 6. Theres at least £2000 charges in the 6 years though.

Ive been a Lloyds customer for 15 years and in that time ive had in the region £25k of credit. Last year I had £6k back for miss sold ppi dating from 01-05 and i'm about to go for another £1500 credit card charges also with Lloyds. My point being, had I not been paying credit the extras above with Lloyds for a card and a loan, I doubt I would ever of needed to go overdrawn and therefore would of avoided the charges.
    Also yesterday they agreed to freeze my overdraft without fees or charges for 6 months as they agreed I was in hardship.
    As for my other debts, I have defaulted on 4 debts in the last 12 months due to hitting my credit limits and not being able to keep up with minimum payments. All creditors receiving smaller payments. One of these includes a LTSB credit card which i'm paying Moorcroft £5 a month towards.

I barely earn enough at the moment to survive and strongly believe they contributed over a length of time. It makes sense that had I not been charged and missold i'd of been an amount of money better.

Just wondered if you think its worth a go?, tbh I didnt think there was any chance of reclaiming anymore but then had a think about it and I do feel hard done by. :)
  • Premier_2
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi all just after a bit of advice as to whether you think its worth going for the hardship argurement and whether you think my arguement holds any weight?. Wondering if theres any chance of me getting any charges back?. I have got 10 years of statements although I gather its only 6. Theres at least £2000 charges in the 6 years though.

Ive been a Lloyds customer for 15 years and in that time ive had in the region £25k of credit. Last year I had £6k back for miss sold ppi dating from 01-05 and i'm about to go for another £1500 credit card charges also with Lloyds. My point being, had I not been paying credit the extras above with Lloyds for a card and a loan, I doubt I would ever of needed to go overdrawn and therefore would of avoided the charges.
    Also yesterday they agreed to freeze my overdraft without fees or charges for 6 months as they agreed I was in hardship.
    As for my other debts, I have defaulted on 4 debts in the last 12 months due to hitting my credit limits and not being able to keep up with minimum payments. All creditors receiving smaller payments. One of these includes a LTSB credit card which i'm paying Moorcroft £5 a month towards.

I barely earn enough at the moment to survive and strongly believe they contributed over a length of time. It makes sense that had I not been charged and missold i'd of been an amount of money better.

Just wondered if you think its worth a go?, tbh I didnt think there was any chance of reclaiming anymore but then had a think about it and I do feel hard done by. :)

Regarding you having spent money on things that have now been refunded, presumably you claimed for interest. That was the compo for not having the money available to spend on other things.

If you believe you are in financial hardship, then make a claim. Don't waste time going back more than 6 years; reports from others suggest that where a refund is paid it is usually restricted to about the last 6 months maximum.
    Note the banks are not obligated to refund you anything, and will look at each claim on it's own individual merits,
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback