Options

Comments

• Pyxis
    Pyxis Posts: 46,077 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 18 May 2017 at 10:40AM
    Options
    PELICAN crossing:- (PE LI CON)
    "A pelican crossing (previously Pelicon Crossing – PEdestrian LIght CONtrolled Crossing) is a type of pedestrian crossing, which features a pair of poles each with a standard set of traffic lights facing oncoming traffic, a push button and two illuminated, coloured pictograms facing the pedestrian from across the road."

PUFFIN crossings.:- (Pedestrian User-Friendly INtelligent)
    "- Pelicans and puffins are essentially the same (try telling that to an ornithologist!), except that a puffin crossing has its sequences controlled by sensors mounted on the lights, rather than a timer."

The smart sensor detects when there is no longer a pedestrian on the crossing and changes the lights to green. (With the Pelican, the duration of the lights is fixed).

TOUCAN crossings:- (TWO CAN)
    "A toucan crossing is a type of pedestrian crossing found in the United Kingdom that also allows bicycles to be ridden across. Since two–can, both pedestrians and cyclists, cross together, the name "toucan" was chosen."

It looks like the crossing has a separate 'lane' for the cyclists to cross the road on. Otherwise, they seem to be the same as Puffin crossings.

Well, I've learned something now! I don't think I've ever seen a Toucan crossing.
    (I just lurve spiders!)
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, Pinnacle of Peadom and Official Brainbox
    Founder Member: 'WIMPS ANONYMOUS' and 'VICTIMS of the RANDOM HEDGEHOG'
    I'm in a clique! It's a clique of one! It's a unique clique!
    I love :eek:

• NBLondon
    NBLondon Posts: 5,532 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Here's one... https://goo.gl/maps/PWyfnwNQGDF2

This is at the end of the shared path I mentioned upthread - the shared path goes south across the heath and the Toucan crosses the A2. North is Greenwich Park.

And on that subject... There are roads in the Park so obviously cyclists are entitled to use these. There are pathways which are marked as shared and others marked "No Cycling". There's even a code of conduct for cyclists in the Royal Parks https://www.royalparks.org.uk/park-management/cycling-in-the-royal-parks/the-pathway-code-of-conduct-considerate-cycling which explicitly states
    Although pedestrians have priority over all other users, even in areas designated and marked for other purposes, everyone is asked to use the pathways considerately.
    In my experience of the park, 90%+ of the cyclists are considerate.
    Wash your Knobs and Knockers... Keep the Postie safe!
  • NBLondon
    Options
    Oh and to be really nerdy...

When the path is a bridleway or other form used by horses - the crossing may have a second set of push buttons at a convenient height for the rider turning a Toucan into a Pegasus!
  • Pyxis
    Pyxis Posts: 46,077 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 18 May 2017 at 10:46AM
    Options
    NBLondon wrote: »
    Here's one... https://goo.gl/maps/PWyfnwNQGDF2

This is at the end of the shared path I mentioned upthread - the shared path goes south across the heath and the Toucan crosses the A2. North is Greenwich Park.

All I can see there is a mini-roundabout. No lights-controlled crossing.

NBLondon wrote: »
    Oh and to be really nerdy...

When the path is a bridleway or other form used by horses - the crossing may have a second set of push buttons at a convenient height for the rider turning a Toucan into a Pegasus!

A Pegasus is definitely a first for me; never p, ever heard of that!

:think: Does the horse know that it can only walk-on when there is a green horse showing?
    (I just lurve spiders!)
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, Pinnacle of Peadom and Official Brainbox
    Founder Member: 'WIMPS ANONYMOUS' and 'VICTIMS of the RANDOM HEDGEHOG'
    I'm in a clique! It's a clique of one! It's a unique clique!
    I love :eek:

• rtho782
    rtho782 Posts: 1,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Lumstorm wrote: »
    Pedestrians should step aside and give way for the faster moving bike and the cyclist should ring their bell and slow down as they approach a pedestrian.

Ok, then how do you feel about this:

Cyclists should pull over and give way for faster moving cars and cars should beep their horns and slow down as they approach cyclists.

I bet not many cyclists would go for that, so why do they think they have rights over pedestrians?
  • unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The Zebra, Pelican and Puffin Pedestrian Crossing Regulations and general Directions (1997) give direction on the regulatory frameworks surrounding crossings.

• Zebra crossings give pedestrians priority over vehicles on the carriageway

• Cyclists are vehicles and are permitted to ride on the part of a Zebra crossing that is carriageway, provided they give way to pedestrians crossing or waiting to cross.

• It is not illegal to cycle across a Zebra crossing if there is shared-use to either side, but it is contrary to Rule 64 of the Highway Code which states that cyclists should dismount and walk across Zebra crossings.

Breach of the Highway Code could be used as evidence of an offence, e.g. cycling dangerously, or of evidence of negligence in the event of a collision.

Must be correct - Google says so

The document that is taken from explains:
    There has been considerable interest over recent years in the possibility of a version of a
    Zebra crossing designed for shared use by cyclists and pedestrians; in some circles this has
    been termed a Tiger crossing. Under present legislation these are not permitted, so a
    number of local authorities have been trialling designs
    that direct cyclists over standard
    Zebra crossings whilst others have introduced alternative designs

And also:
    • Nearly 90% of cyclists at six sites surveyed for TfL cycled across Zebra crossings
    • The Secretary of State has powers to make regulations with respect to precedence of
    vehicles and pedestrians respectively, and generally with respect to the movement of traffic
    (including pedestrians) at and in the vicinity of crossings. Presently Zebra crossing
    regulations only allow for pedestrians to have precedence over vehicles.

As for when a pedestrian has precedence:
    25.—(1) Every pedestrian, if he is on the carriageway within the limits of a Zebra crossing, which is not for the time being controlled by a constable in uniform or traffic warden, before any part of a vehicle has entered those limits, shall have precedence within those limits over that vehicle and the driver of the vehicle shall accord such precedence to any such pedestrian.

So pedestrians only have precedence over vehicles if they're within the limits of the crossing before any part of the vehicle is. If not, the car has precedence.
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • NBLondon
    Options
    Pyxis wrote: »
    All I can see there is a mini-roundabout. No lights-controlled crossing.
    Walk South a little to the main road. Google wouldn't let me place the marker on the south side at the end of the shared path.

Never seen a Pegasus myself - presumably they are in rural areas with bridleways. Unless there are some in other parks.
  • Norman_Castle
    Norman_Castle Posts: 11,871 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    rtho782 wrote: »

Cyclists should pull over and give way for faster moving cars and cars should beep their horns and slow down as they approach cyclists.

I bet not many cyclists would go for that, so why do they think they have rights over pedestrians?
    Not many cyclists do think they have rights over pedestrians. If I ring my bell when behind pedestrians its to let them know I am there and a polite request to pass them. It is generally met with courtesy and a smile. If there is no room to pass I will wait until there is before ringing my bell.

I've had cars approaching at speed from behind sound their horns demanding I move then pass dangerously close. Some people are arrogant and stupid however they choose to travel.
  • Lord_Baltimore
    Lord_Baltimore Posts: 1,348 Forumite
    Options
    Motorists will always find something to dislike about sharing road space with cyclists. You can wear hi-vis, have lights, an audible means of warning, observe the highway code, give hand signals, ride in the gutter and generally do your level best not to impede the flow of traffic and someone will still try to flatten you or shout abuse.

In fact, my experience is that if you follow all the rules of the road, it makes very little difference to Mr Angry (or Mrs Nasty); they just don't want you there full stop.

There is no greater pleasure than knowing this :p
    Mornië utulië
  • DaleHarries
    Options
    In fact, my experience is that if you follow all the rules of the road, it makes very little difference to Mr Angry (or Mrs Nasty); they just don't want you there full stop.

I don't mind most cyclists and try to give as much room as I can for them. I give even more when I realise it's someone riding in work clothes on their way home. At the end of the day they're normal people just getting on with life.

MAMILS on the other hand, can't stand them and give them as little space as possible. A bunch of self entitled middle management types who take their work attitude onto the road. It's a pose as far as they're concerned, they're the hipsters of the road!

I've often thought that the BMW driver became an AUDI driver, and now he's ditched the car for a £2000 racing bike and all the gear.

Like I said, it's all just a pose... When the next fad comes along there's gonna be alot of old £2000 bikes going begging, hopefully cyclists who genuinely need two wheeled transport will be able to get a cheeky upgrade!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure