Problem with TSB contactless?

Options

Comments

• john1002
    john1002 Posts: 984 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Apple Pay is the way to go if you have access to it, only ever had one decline in 10 months and that was down to machine.

John
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Katiehound wrote: »
    I am now using replacement cards! and they seem to be working better
    W
    Were the others damaged in any way ? I ask because a recent article about the security of contactless payments said that you can disable contactless by cutting off a corner and so breaking the continuous circuit set around the edges.
  • ScotinLondon
    Options
    I did what another poster recommended - took some cash out and then my contactless worked...not sure why TSB have set theirs up that way, as i don't have a problem with using my FD contactless.

SIL
  • Katiehound
    Katiehound Posts: 7,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    teddysmum wrote: »
    W
    Were the others damaged in any way ? I ask because a recent article about the security of contactless payments said that you can disable contactless by cutting off a corner and so breaking the continuous circuit set around the edges.

No they weren't damaged at all. They just seemed to throw a wobbly when I tried to use them contactless! As I said only 2 more months of cashback and they are now working fine! (but both are replacements)

At the start of the month I take out £10 at the ATM and then hopefully I can clock up the £100 spend before it demands chip & pin!
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything! --
    Many thanks
    -Stash bust:in 2022:337
    Stash bust :2023. 120duvets, 24 bags, 43 dog coats, 2 scrunchies, 10 mittens, 6 bootees, 8 glass cases, 2 A6 notebooks, 59 cards, 6 lav bags,36 angels,9 bones, 1 knee blanket, 1 lined bag,3 owls, 88 pyramids = total 420 total spend £5. Total for 'Dogs for Good' £546.82

2024:23 Doggy duvets,29 pyramids, 6 hottie covers, 4 knit hats,13 crochet angels,1 shopper, 87cards=163 £86 spent!!!
  • Over62
    Over62 Posts: 123 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    We have three TSB contactless cards between us and oddly enough, they have been working perfectly for about 3 weeks now. Famous last words ...
  • teddysmum
    Options
    When doing grocery shopping, so likely to be £30 or more (pay the extra in cash) I carry my sole account card and both our cards to the joint account.

First to be tried is my sole account, but if that needs the PIN the chances are that one of the joint cards will be fine. ( I boobed last week though, as I used my joint card first with only £15 left to earn interest and left my sole card with lots to use. I'll be more careful from now on).
  • Yorkshire_Pud
    Yorkshire_Pud Posts: 1,858 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 6 November 2016 at 12:04PM
    Options
    Yet another contactless refusal from TSB, really annoying.

Whereas my Co-op card gets refused very occasionally TSB promote contactless cashback whilst setting their algorithms to reject on an above average number of occasions.

One thing for sure. I won't be using TSB either contactless or at all after December.
  • psychological
    Options
    Thought I had the same issue but read this, just switched over to them and never used the PIN.

Please note: if you have a brand new or replacement contactless card, you'll need to use your card with your PIN before the contactless function will work. This can either be an ATM transaction or purchasing an item in store. This is a security feature to make sure that no-one else has got hold of your card.

Contactless payments symbol
  • teddysmum
    edited 27 February 2017 at 7:59PM
    Options
    We have had our TSB contactless cards since May 2016. (Two sole accounts and two cards for the joint).

I misremembered the instruction that you have to make each card's first transaction using the PIN, as needing to reset the card by using a PIN at the time of an ATM request or later.

I contacted the call centre, after some odd transactions and the lady told me that there is no need to reset (explained one of my questions) and that asking for PIN is random, not recorded by them and beyond their control.

Since having the cards, there have been no requests for PIN (no matter what the value up to £30 or after a set number of transactions) and beyond the Tesco service station man having to reset the machine, my husband's has had no problems. He uses it up to 4 times a month for 3 lots of £30 worth of petrol and odd spends.

However, in the last few weeks, I've had frequent requests to swipe or insert with PIN and I'm wondering if others have found the same, as it could be another way, besides cutting the interest rate and amount eligible for interest, of paying out less.

Requests have affected all three of the cards I carry (my own two and husband's from the joint account.

The first time, at Tesco (self service), I split a larger shop into two batches of over £20 and under £10. The machine processed the larger amount with no problem, but asked for the PIN on the smaller purchase (don't know whether I used the same )card). I tried another card and the sale went through.

I returned to make a £1 purchase , in order to enter the PIN, but found it was not requested. (CS, as above, told me that reset is not needed).

A few days later I did the same kind of split (at Tesco) and the first card asked for a PIN, but the two transactions worked with the other two cards. I went straight to Aldi and their machine asked on two cards, but accepted the third and on checking I found that the three purchases had each used a different card. (It was after this that I contacted CS,was given the info above and also told that if you try to do 5 transactions close together on the same card a PIN will be requested.)

No problems at Tesco, on Sunday, but today, Poundstretcher's machine asked for PIN on all three, so I used my Co-op card as , at least I got 5p.
  • masonic
    masonic Posts: 23,277 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I've found the opposite. In fact, since contactless cashback ended for me at the end of last year I only recall having to enter my PIN for one transaction in 2 months.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure