Options

Comments

• Wednesday2000
    Wednesday2000 Posts: 7,372 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 5 September 2023 at 11:47AM
    Options
    caronc wrote: »
    Not really an issue here but a bucket/basin of cold water to "steep" your feet is fab for generally cooling you down,
    karcher wrote: »

Soak you feet in a bowl cool water, it really does cool you down.

Yes, I've been using my foot spa, but with cold water. It really feels lovely and cools you down.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    We gave our dogs a hair cut the weekend as even with the air con going they were still panting a lot.

Weve never cut them so short before but they havent panted once since. They look like geriatric puppies.:D

The garden is out of bounds in this weather. Its far too hot. They have to make do with the side of the house where its cooler.

They have grade 3 and grade 4 heart murmurs so we have to be so careful.
  • Primrose
    Primrose Posts: 10,621 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Fill a hot water bottle with chilled water from the fridge and take it to bed with yiunto kwep you cool.

Always wear cotton underwear wether than nylon - it absorbs more sweat.

Have a tepid shower or strip wash before going to bed. Don't towel yiurself down. Lay a large bath towel on top of your bed and lie on it to let the moisture evaporate.

If you have robust inexpensive cotton bedroom curtains leave the windows partly opened, the urtqins partly closed and fine spray the curtains with plain water from an empty household cleaner plastic bottle. The evaporation will help cool the air.

Sit with your bare feet in a bowl of cold water for a few minutes and keep face and arms regularly rinsed with cold water.

Offer your postman or other delivery callers a glass of chilled water.

Don!t fret! We'll soon be back to normal British wet weather again and then we'll all be complaining about that!
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Primrose wrote: »
    Don!t fret! We'll soon be back to normal British wet weather again and then we'll all be complaining about that!
    I really struggled with the heat yesterday, even more so today. I feel like I'm operating in a foggy haze yet other people manage to function perfectly well. Ironically, I only felt better yesterday when I went out for a walk, sticking to the shade. The breeze helped but as soon as I got inside I felt a bit doo-lally again.

I just want it to rain.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • Primrose
    Primrose Posts: 10,621 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Yes, it feels as if the brain is starting to cook, doesn't it?
    I picked some strawberries yesterday from the garden and they were so hot they felt as if they were half cooked. I won't have to stew the gooseberries when I pick them any day now. The heat has probably already done the job for me !
  • t14cy_t
    t14cy_t Posts: 1,318 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    last night I was too hot to sleep so got up put a quick wash on and promptly slept in my nightie wet from the washing machine!!! best sleep for the last week!! x
  • Upsidedown_Bear
    Upsidedown_Bear Posts: 18,264 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Not very Old Style I know but the best thing we ever did to keep us cool at home was to get these.

Whoosh ceiling fan/light

One in the lounge, one in the bedroom :)

If they ever reduce them enough I'm buying one for every room :D And the garden :p
  • elona
    elona Posts: 11,806 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I met a dd this afternoon and tried on some cotton dresses which were so comfortable I bought one and wore it home.

Just been online shopping and found two long cotton nighties after
    finding the nightie I wore last night stuck to me and I could hardly struggle out of it this morning. :eek:

May try to live under a cool shower if possible.
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    :) I've been charging around this evening (just back home from the lottie) and I can testify that the strawbs are half-cooked on the plants.

Will have a cool shower half an hour or so before bedtime to bring my temperature down. Our office hit 30 c by 9 am this morning and I had a few moments at my desk about midday when I felt woozy, it's like my brain is overheating.

I did manage to sleep last night, star-fished out on a cotton sheet, bliss.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • Frith
    Frith Posts: 8,156 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    The one bonus with living in a tiny, very damp Victorian cottage is that the downstairs is always like a fridge! Quarry tiled floors too.

Unfortunately, the walls upstairs go vertically for about 1m 40 then slant upwards and the sun goes straight through the slanted part so it's roasting. :-/

Windows are shut downstairs to stop the heat getting in (!). Open upstairs with a fan in each bedroom.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback