New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: Stay up to date with the latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
Stay updated with our guides: Coronavirus Help & Your Rights * Coronavirus Travel Rights
NEWSFLASH 27/03
MARTINS VIDEO FOR SELF-EMPLOYED * DELAY HOUSE MOVES * EUROSTAR UPDATE

The Great 'Ways to keep cool' Hunt

68 replies 30.9K views
MSE_MartinMSE_Martin Money Saving ExpertMoneySaving Expert
8.3K posts
✭✭✭✭
As we've already had a taste of summer, I thought it worth tapping MoneySavers knowledge for ways to keep cool if and when it gets hot this year. If you leave it until the sun is sweltering, prices shoot up. So what can you do now to keep the house cool for less?

To add your ideas, please click reply and post below.

Martin
threadbanner.gif
Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.
Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.
Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000

Replies

• CanuckleheadCanucklehead Forumite
    6.3K posts
    Good afternoon: The Energy Saving Trust has produced a guide to reducing overheating in the home http://www.energysavingtrust.org.uk/uploads/documents/housingbuildings/CE129%20-%20reducing%20overheating%20a%20designers%20guide.pdf

..perhaps a bit technical but a start!

HTH

Canucklehead
    Ask to see CIPHE (Chartered Institute of Plumbing & Heating Engineering)
  • ems2ems2 Forumite
    662 posts
    Really cant be a worse time for posting ths as i am sitting in a jumper with my heating on however....Put a wet towel in the freezer and put it on your feet when you go to bed. This is for when it is really hot and so most excess will evaporate and not wet the bed too much
  • Woby_TideWoby_Tide Forumite
    5.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    freeze a 2 litre bottle filled with water, then stand it on a plate in front of a fan in a room you want to 'air condition' (but make sure the water won't get near the fan)

only lasts a while but for a short term quick fix to cool a kids room for bedtime was ideal for us last year
    threadbanner.gif
  • teebteeb Forumite
    392 posts
    Cheap ice lollies

Either buy the moulds from supermarkets and fill with diluting juice, or use the slimmest (plastic) glasses you can find in your house, fill with juice, add a stick (cocktail stick / chopstick / old washed lolly stick) and use elastic bands to keep the stick in place if needed, and then freeze overnight.

And voila, ice lollies that only cost as much as the diluting juice involved. And you can obviously reuse the molds over and over again.

Warning - if you use a big glass you might not be able to fit the whole thing in your mouth! I accidently made a huge one the other week and it took me an hour to finish off...
  • liz313liz313 Forumite
    81 posts
    I feel ill when it is really hot so I fill a plant spray bottle with cold water and put it in the fridge and go back and forth and keep spraying myself and others with it.
  • Chris25Chris25 Forumite
    12.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    keep your cleanser, toner and moisturiser in the fridge too.
  • mjr600mjr600 Forumite
    760 posts
    Put you clothes in a sealed plastic bag then put them in the fridge the night before you need them, or for a real chill use the freezer.

Is this VIZ or MSE ?

Or get an air conditioner.
  • cb11_3cb11_3 Forumite
    2 posts
    I wish I'd read these tips before buying an airconditioner! he he

I've just bought an Airwell aircon unit for our small office, it cost £470 and I need to stick a hose out of the window. Our office is about 260sq.ft and it doesn't cool it! So I was searching for another unit when I came across this on Google for £455.

http://www.cool-rooms.co.uk/howtobuy/april_promo.html

I phoned them up to ask if they'd still do that price, they said that even though it's last months promotion, they'd still honour the price if bought through the web site.

I'm now waiting for delivery.
  • Kernow_KidKernow_Kid Forumite
    96 posts
    A simple idea, easily explained.
    Open both a downstairs window and an upstairs window.
    As heat rises, it will escape through the upper window, thus drawing in cooler air through the downstairs, even causing a slight draught on still nights.
    This does work, I've been doing it for years.
    Just make sure your windows are secure!
    Be Pure, Be Vigilant, Behave!:A
  • KTee_2KTee_2 Forumite
    12 posts
    Last year I bought a battery powered 'personal' fan from local petrol station it cost all of £1.50, the difference was that it incorporated a water atomiser in the centre of the impeller.
    I used it whilst walking in the Alps in midsummer. Our mountain guides were ecstatic about it it was so effective. I foolishly gave it away to one of them and haven't been able to replace it. If you see one, buy it!