Saving for my very own place...

Options
124»

Comments

• Skint_yet_Again
    Options
    Good luck with the flat blue_mango hope it all goes smoothly for you !
    0% credit card £1360 & 0% Car Loan £7500 ~ paid in full JAN 2020 = NOW DEBT FREE 🤗
    House sale OCT 2022 = NOW MORTGAGE FREE 🤗
    House purchase completed FEB 2023 🥳🍾 Left work. 🤗

Retired at 55 & now living off the equity £10k a year (until pensions start at 60 & 67).

Previous Savings diary https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/5597938/get-a-grip/p1

Living off savings diary
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6429003/escape-to-the-country-living-off-savings/p1
  • nyc_451
    nyc_451 Posts: 502 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Looks like it's all going well - offer accepted, mortgage application accepted, now waiting for the solicitors to do their bit. Hoping to get my keys before xmas. :)

My friends were really surprised I was purchasing a flat, I think they didn't expect me to have that much savings!
  • Skint_yet_Again
    Options
    Wow that's all happening quickly. Have you had the results of your survey back yet ? Would be nice to be in by Christmas
    0% credit card £1360 & 0% Car Loan £7500 ~ paid in full JAN 2020 = NOW DEBT FREE 🤗
    House sale OCT 2022 = NOW MORTGAGE FREE 🤗
    House purchase completed FEB 2023 🥳🍾 Left work. 🤗

Retired at 55 & now living off the equity £10k a year (until pensions start at 60 & 67).

Previous Savings diary https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/5597938/get-a-grip/p1

Living off savings diary
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6429003/escape-to-the-country-living-off-savings/p1
  • nyc_451
    Options
    Wow that's all happening quickly. Have you had the results of your survey back yet ? Would be nice to be in by Christmas

The survey will take place in a few days, so hopefully everything will go well.

I wasn't planning to purchase a place so soon, sometimes I wonder whether I've made the right decision... I will just have to make the best out of it. :)
  • savingwannabe
    savingwannabe Posts: 16,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    OMG. It's brilliant. Hopefully you will be in by xmas???? ~But it's something great to look forward to. We need some good news.
    Aiming for a minimal spend 2022
  • nyc_451
    Options
    So I am finally settling in my own place. Buying process took a bit longer than expected, approximately 5 months, but on the positive note it gave me more time to put some money aside.

I now live a small apartment, slowly making it look like home - changing carpets, painting, buying furniture etc, all of this takes a lot of time and money. People keep telling me to get second hand furniture and do other money saving things, but I know what I want and what's best for me. Someone got shocked that I bought new carpets - why didn't I deep clean the old ones?! Well, because I didn't want to...money is not everything.

So overall I am very happy, and very grateful for being able to save up a deposit and finding a place I like so quickly. Living on my own is having a great effect on my mental health too.

Good luck to all the others who are planning to get on a property ladder!! :)
  • atrixa
    atrixa Posts: 549 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    Congratulations! Out of interest what caused the main delays in the buying process?

I think I would replace all the carpets too unless they looked brand new and I would get some second hand furniture to even out the cost.
  • nyc_451
    Options
    atrixa wrote: »
    Congratulations! Out of interest what caused the main delays in the buying process?

I think I would replace all the carpets too unless they looked brand new and I would get some second hand furniture to even out the cost.

Thank you! It was the solicitors from both sides. It would have taken even longer if the sales agent didnt intercept... obviously the solicitor knew I was a clueless first time buyer so didn't rush too much.:mad:

They won't be doing it to me again!
  • atrixa
    atrixa Posts: 549 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    What a nuisance! The main bit of advice i've gotten from home owners so far is to constantly chase people. I'll try to keep on top of it when I come to buy :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure