PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Make do, Mend and Minimise in 2017

Options

Comments

• pandamonium
    Options
    Not posted for ages. Everyone seems to be doing so well.

Still minimising the freezer. A couple of things I didn't fancy actually turned out much better than I expected. Still need to deal with a couple of trout that have been there longer than I care to remember. Not sure if they will even be edible.

Having to make a major effort to minimise the storage unit of doom. I've just realised how much it has cost me :eek:, the upshot being that I gave notice on it and need to have it emptied by next Wednesday. I work well under pressure, but this is some challenge :D. I'll post more on this at a less ungodly hour. It really has been an eye opener and lessons are being learned.

Keep MMMing onwards everyone.

Panda x
  • LizzieR
    Options
    Athome1 wrote: »
    I didn't know that Frudd .. I'll be downloading an app pronto:T

I've been using 'Map my walk' for the last year or so - I love it, although you do have to remember to start it when you go for a stroll. They also send you a weekly e-mail to show you how far you've walked each week. It uses the phone's GPS to measure the distance you've gone and saves a little map of it, it can also give an indication of how many calories you've used and how many steps you've walked. I like to look at the split times for each km too as it shows where I was dawdling or really going for it. Came into its own when I did a 40+km charity walk last year - I got quicker towards the end....!

In terms of MMMing - last night I finally sewed the sleeves of a dress which I cut off over a year ago and just couldn't work out how to finish - just pinning them took over an hour! V pleased with it though, and am planning to do the second dress I cut the sleeves off at the same time this evening. Only problem now is the dresses are probably a bit big due to weight loss (all that walking ;) ) and may be unwearable by the summer....! Why do we put these things off eh?!!

Hope everyone is OK and no ill effects from Doris.
  • Athome1
    Athome1 Posts: 345 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    LizzieR wrote: »
    Hope everyone is OK and no ill effects from Doris.

One of my 'slot in fence panels' got blown out and ended up smashed in my neighnours garden:eek:
    Got a pal coming today to sort it out .. I hope!

Could have been worse I suppose. X
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Good day today did some more of my charity blanket this morning and when I went to History club this afternoon, my friends husband gave me a big pot of tile grout/ adeshive so I haven't got to buy any as I only have two tiles to stick back in the bathroom Bless him I shall make him a cake next week as a thank you, I saw them at quiz night on Tuesday and he said don't buy any I have a big pot you can borrow :) So tomorrow morning I shall be sticking the tiles back on properly :):):) another job sorted out of the way. Am at DDs tonight as its DGS Jack's 17th birthday so we are having a family meal. Jack's chosen as I thought Pizza for dinner :)
  • YorksLass
    YorksLass Posts: 1,712 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    :hello:misstara – Hope it went well with the car hire today and that you got rid of lots of unwanted stuff at CS/tip. I bet when you unpack there’ll be lots of lovely things you’d forgotten about!

Well, Doris came and went yesterday but, tbh, where we are we didn’t really see much difference as it’s been wet and very windy all week – empty dustbins and UFOs flying up and down the road! But (((hugs))) to those of you who were affected. Today is bright and sunny but with a chilly wind.

Not much MMMing chez nous since Tues thanks to a dratted urinary infection. Woke on Tues am feeling fine, but by pm not fine. Little and often is sometimes a good adage, but not when it means so many visits to the loo for so little!

Drank lots of water but after 3 sleepless nights had to give in and at 8.30am today rang for a GP appointment. Didn’t expect to get one but was sat in front of GP (not mine, although by this stage I didn’t care who it was) at 10 am and 5 mins later came out clutching a script for 3 days of antibiotics. Collected from pharmacy (in Medical Centre), back home and had a quick bowl of cereal so I could take first dose. Then crashed on sofa with a pillow and throw and managed to get a couple of hours’ sleep (I’m not a happy bunny if I don’t get my quota). So, today and the weekend’s MMMing will mostly be minimising the pain and mending me.

More minimising of items out of freezer/fridge: dinner on Wed was fish pie + broccoli and Thurs was pork steak braised with onion, mushroom and apple + mash + cabbage. I normally use cod or haddock for fish pie but had bought coley to try as it was a bit cheaper. It was OK but I don’t think I will get that again as it was ... well, fishy but not in a good way. The sauce helped though as I added a teaspoon of English mustard so it had a bit of “bite”. Tonight is nice and easy – battered fish from fish shop + hm mushy peas.

I filled the vol-au-vents I baked the other day with a mixture of mayo, cream cheese and chopped hardboiled egg and we had those for lunch yesterday plus an apple each.

This weekend I will be setting up a new spreadsheet for 2017/2018 ready for when all the bills for the year ahead start to come in next month. We already know what our pension increase will be (got the letters yesterday) but somehow I don’t think there’ll be much left post-bills. So what’s new? Still, anything – even if just a little – is most welcome.

Have a good weekend all and successful MMMing to everyone. X :wave:
    Be kind to others and to yourself too.
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,091 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Make do - too wet & wild to venture out so did an 200 extra "pedals" on my mini-bike
    Mend- me: rehab exercises increased by one
    Minimise - started a long over due clear up of one of my email accounts
  • Lynplatinum
    Options
    Evening All

Wow hasnt everyone been busy!

caronc and Lizzie - isnt it funny how satisfying shredding is. :D That great big fat bag to put out for the bin men!!! You just feel so virtuous!

Well done, whoever it was that lost 2 pounds - it is so hard to loose weight! I have lost half a stone since December - mostly due to being unable to drive and having to walk everywhere I think! :o

Well done Jackie O with your budgeting - I am doing quite well with mine - given the temptations of living with DS1 + his GF. Have got them to agree to go out only one day a week for a treat but they like to eat a meal when they are out which can be expensive (well for me £10ish is expensive!). Today we had to go out to Penzance but persuaded them to get a drink from the co-op supermarket rather than go to a coffee shop ;) Looks as if I am going to make it with an underspend of about £20!!

So:
    Mend: nowt much
    Make do: - starting my new book of large stash which will then be sent to chazzer; we are sticking to meal plan that we made and have so far got 2 meals (i.e. 8 individual meals) out of one chicken and I still have stock which will become soup - not sure of what yet!!!
    Minimise: bag of old blankets to local animal rescue ( a plus while we were there my son was able to pick up a form for working at the animal rescue in a paid role - it is only a mile away - whereas other jobs he has applied for are an hour away by bus). Also minimised stuff from mum's loft and have got more ready to ebay. Also went through my wardrobe and was even more ruthless and got rid of another 2 items of clothing which I hadnt worn for a year :eek: which I liked but had something slight about them which had stopped me wearing them (for example a short sleeved knitted jumper ??? Why ??? :) )

DS1 and GF and GDD are going to stay with my ex for the weekend - I love em but the peace and quiet will be nice (although I will still have the dogs - he lives in a flat - conveniently - can therefore not have both dogs (although one has visited before!!) Intend to put feet up and watch loads of TV I have recorded which GF doesnt like and tends to talk all the way through. I do intend tho to go through my Mum's written stuff (she got several sort stories published) and throw out copies of stuff - not an easy job - emotionally and in terms of space - need to be able to lay stuff out and not need to move it for a while. Also intend to soil myself in terms of food and not cook at lot! :rotfl:

anyway - well done all
    Frugal onwards !:A
    Aim for Sept 17: 20/30 days to be NSDs :cool: NSDs July 23/31 (aim 22) :j
    NSDs 2015:185/330 (allowing for hols etc)
    LBM: started Jan 2012 - still learning!
    Life gives us only lessons and gifts - learn the lesson and it becomes a gift.' from the Bohdavista :j
  • misstara
    misstara Posts: 3,880 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    YorksLass wrote: »
    :hello:misstara – Hope it went well with the car hire today and that you got rid of lots of unwanted stuff at CS/tip. I bet when you unpack there’ll be lots of lovely things you’d forgotten about!

Thanks YorksLass - a carload of stuff was minimised from the flat today, mostly to the CS and some to the tip. Still haven't finished unpacking, just doing a little each evening.

Have borrowed a larger plane from a friend so finally started doing the doors properly today. We now have a bedroom door again :D only 5 more doors to go so guess what we shall be doing over the weekend.

Tea tonight was sausage casserole, wedges, neeps and parsnips, all from the freezer so a nice easy tea. Meal plan has worked really well this week, must get into the habit of doing this every week.
    Debt Dec 2022 - £2972.68. Current debt - £0 (100% paid). Flat deposit - £10552.61/£15000 (70.4% saved). Emergency fund - £1437.01/£1500 (95.8% saved).
  • dND
    dND Posts: 655 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    JackieO wrote: »
    Good day today did some more of my charity blanket this morning and when I went to History club this afternoon, my friends husband gave me a big pot of tile grout/ adeshive so I haven't got to buy any as I only have two tiles to stick back in the bathroom Bless him I shall make him a cake next week as a thank you, I saw them at quiz night on Tuesday and he said don't buy any I have a big pot you can borrow :) So tomorrow morning I shall be sticking the tiles back on properly :):):) another job sorted out of the way.

I think there is a lot of 'society' in your post Jackie, plus proof of the saying, "what goes round, comes round". The 'society' bit is going out and talking face-to-face with people plus I think if you are a giver type of person somehow it comes back and people give to you. And the best bit is it makes the world a much lovelier place. :D

Happy MMMing to all, I'm hoping to have the brain power and the enthusiasm to post an update before too long. Thankfully winter is more or less over and I am trying to get things moving here. :beer:
    Save
    SaveSave
    2023 DECLUTTERING CAMPAIGN 1🏅+ 4 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
    2024 DECLUTTERING CAMPAIGN 🏅💐⭐️
    2024 FASHION ON THE RATION 9/66coupons
  • Prinzessilein
    Options
    Afternoon all!

I am having a very quiet day today...a big pile of magazines to be sorted (a nice job I can do whilst sitting in my comfy chair with a whet bag tucked against my back)....I am amassing a pile of recipes that I don't know if I will ever cook, and patterns that I am not sure I will ever knit/sew....but I like to look at my book of clippings!

I WAS planning to go to the charity shop today...but the weather and my aches have combined to make me put that off until Monday. I have a number of small kitchen items to take there....I have a pair of purple joggers that I have shrunk out of (YAY!) and have put yet another new elastic in them to keep them 'decent' while I wear them around the house - when this elastic goes then I think the joggers will have to go to the charity shop too!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure