Monarch Airlines stops trading - latest info and your rights

Options

Comments

• skyestar
    Options
    I booked 4 return flight only tickets from Monarch on 3/2/17 total cost £835.20 to fly to Alicante on 14/10/17. I paid for these via my pay pal account which deducted the money from my Lloyds Bank Debit Card.

I spoke to Paypal on 2/10/17 and was informed it was outside of their 180dy policy and to contact my Debit Card company which I have but they took my details and said they would be in touch within 10dys to 6 wks!

I appreciate it is chaos currently but are Lloyds who provide my debit card likely to refuse on the grounds I paid via PayPal rather than direct with the card to Monarch?

Any advice would be appreciated
  • DFSDelboy
    Options
    Everything is branded as Monarch but the credit card payment is branded on the statement as Cosmos. Will this create issues when trying to claim a CC refund?
  • N4t4lie
    N4t4lie Posts: 197 Forumite
    Options
    skyestar wrote: »
    I booked 4 return flight only tickets from Monarch on 3/2/17 total cost £835.20 to fly to Alicante on 14/10/17. I paid for these via my pay pal account which deducted the money from my Lloyds Bank Debit Card.

I spoke to Paypal on 2/10/17 and was informed it was outside of their 180dy policy and to contact my Debit Card company which I have but they took my details and said they would be in touch within 10dys to 6 wks!

I appreciate it is chaos currently but are Lloyds who provide my debit card likely to refuse on the grounds I paid via PayPal rather than direct with the card to Monarch?

Any advice would be appreciated

Intermediary rules only apply to Section 75 claims.

As you are not covered by Paypal's 180 day rule then Lloyds should be able to do a chargeback for you. Have a look at the chargeback page and maybe put your evidence pack together as this is not straightforward, send it recorded delivery and if they have given you a refernce number already don't forget to quote it. Plenty of people got refunds this way when Low Cost went under, but it may take a little longer to process. Hope that helps.
  • N4t4lie
    Options
    DFSdelboy wrote: »
    Everything is branded as Monarch but the credit card payment is branded on the statement as Cosmos. Will this create issues when trying to claim a CC refund?

Shouldn't if you get all your evidence together. Sounds like Cosmos was acting as an intermediary to sell a Monarch holiday.
  • Candy_lady
    Options
    Hi, I had a package holiday booked with Monarch in December. Luckily we paid for the holiday on credit card so should be OK under section 75. We booked extra leg room seats for both flughts costing £108.00 all together, but paid for these on debit card.
    Do I claim this back with the credit card company as it was part of the holiday or have I just lost it?
    Thanks for any advice.
  • 123corrie
    123corrie Posts: 7 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 4 October 2017 at 7:58PM
    Options
    My apologies if this question has already arisen and been answered.

I booked a one way flight with Monarch for myself and my partner, using our Credit Card in July - I am the main Card Holder. The amount was £151.60.

Santander asked me who were the tickets for and I explained they were for myself and my partner. They told me that as there were 2 tickets bought the cost has to be split between myself and my Partner and it is then under £100 and I have no claim. I explained it was out of our joint account and he was the Second Card Holder and he said that made no difference, I am the main Card Holder and I would only be entitled to get back my part of the ticket (if it was over £100). My Partner would have no Claim. As it happens, I paid via PayPal and they are going to refund the WHOLE of the monies. Well done PayPal, I will pay everything by PayPal whenever possible.

I cannot understand this, who ever buys separate tickets when booking a flight together with separate Credit Cards? What if you are a couple with 2 children? Only the Card Holder would be entitled to get back a quarter of the cost of the flights?

Does anyone know if the above is correct? Santander Credit Card insisted this was correct. Although I will get my money back from PayPal, I really would like to know if Santander are correct. I would have thought if you buy tickets and they are over £100, then you would have a claim. Not have to split the cost between whoever is travelling with you.

Thanks for any help here.
    It seems for us Santander Debit card holders are at the mercy of the banks as they dont have to give us our money back, but I thought credit card holders have better rights?. It's a cop out & a crafty way of giving you your money back.i think because they are inundated by claims they are worried about the bill. Maybe Martin can gently " inforce " or "pursued" the banks to pay the full cost of all the tickets paid for and just not the card holders ticket?
  • N4t4lie
    Options
    utigers wrote: »
    Any news on Last Minutes stance? Got one Easy jet flight and one Monarch, would like to switch out of these for different flights but I cannot get through!

People have said Lastminute are going through them in order to sort people who are due to go soonest. Sadly till you can talk to someone though it's hard to say, but when people do get through it seems they are getting results.

The statement on their web page seems to imply you'll get a refund for the Monarch flight within 60 days, looks like your Easyjet flight is still valid and usable and probably non refundable:

"Flight Only Customers not yet departed, departing or returning with another airline

Should you have a flight with any other airline, this remains confirmed. If you wish to cancel this flight, please contact us and any refund will be requested, subject to the terms and conditions of the airline."
  • N4t4lie
    Options
    Candy_lady wrote: »
    Hi, I had a package holiday booked with Monarch in December. Luckily we paid for the holiday on credit card so should be OK under section 75. We booked extra leg room seats for both flughts costing £108.00 all together, but paid for these on debit card.
    Do I claim this back with the credit card company as it was part of the holiday or have I just lost it?
    Thanks for any advice.

Claim it separately using chargeback is probably your best bet. See main website for full details of chargeback and template letters to use.
  • bradders1983
    bradders1983 Posts: 5,684 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    DFSdelboy wrote: »

I paid in instalments and my first few are down as Cosmos but from the 10th July onwards this changed to Monarch. The CAA don't seem to have clarified this at any point.

As an aside I see they have added a "negative response letter" to their website this evening for those people (like me) who are getting a brick wall from their banks. So more phone calls to be made in the morning now!
  • N4t4lie
    Options
    Further to 'bradders1983' here is the full letter, at least it has now been clarified for all those who were in limbo:

"Consumer and Markets Group
    ATOL Crisis Management
    FAILURE OF MONARCH HOLIDAYS LTD
    Date of Failure – 2 October 2017
    Monarch Holidays Ltd has ceased operating. It was licensed under the Air Travel Organisers’
    Licensing (ATOL) scheme managed by the Civil Aviation Authority (CAA). If you had a flight
    inclusive package booking with Monarch Holidays Ltd, you may be able to claim a refund of
    the money you paid subject to the Air Travel Trust’s Payment Policy which is available to read
    in full on the ATOL website.
    However, for consumers that paid Monarch Holidays Ltd directly by credit card the CAA are
    unable to authorise payment.
    When assessing claims the CAA acts as an agent of the Air Travel Trust (ATT). The ATT has
    an agreement with the main credit card acquirer who acted on behalf of the above named
    failed ATOL holder.
    Under the terms of this agreement you should instead apply to your credit card issuer for a
    refund of the payment you made by credit card.
    ATOL Crisis Management"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport