Report Bank Charges successes and failures

Options

Comments

• shazzafly
    Options
    Hi all

Contacted MBNA about 2 weeks ago following advice on this site and today they offered me £1059 !!!! Woo Hoo. I should have it in 28 days and just in time as my house is falling apart. Thanks to all the wonderful people on this site and their advice.
  • crazyterrier2000
    Options
    First Direct have paid out a total of £10,000 (£1500 to Ex), first time of asking but only succeeded by studying the forums on here, & making sure the form Martin supplied was right first time. No middlemen required.
    No longer posting on freebies or comps
  • Tommo2012
    Options
    SueMumof3 wrote: »
    I have just received a refund of £531 from Santander. I'm over the moon! I wrote to them last November but was told a refund was a no no. I put a short post on here at the beginning of Jan and had a reply from Little Mo 70 who basically gave me the swift kick I needed and told me to go straight to the top, which I did. With renewed vigour, I sent an Email and letter to the CEO. Within a day or so there was a flurry of activity and I was introduced to Julie Savage from the Corporate Complaints Team. What a super lady she was. A real live normal human being. She rang and emailed me to keep me up to date. She said the bank had made mistakes. She was able to track every transaction (I'd been spot on with my letter). I'm so relieved it's finally sorted. Thanks Little Mo 70. You're a star. :A

Hello do you have an email address?!
  • gingertabby
    Options
    Bank: Santander (previously Alliance & Leicester)
    Amount: £3479

Fit into all three categories of the ombudsman's criteria. Had cancer during which I couldn't work and couldn't pay my bills, got caught in a cicle of debt, etc. Went all the way to the ombudsman and this afternoon got a letter from them rejecting my claim, saying that the charges were perfectly reasonable. They recommended I get in touch with CCCS for debt counselling.

What a let down.
  • sammitchell05
    Options
    Hi,

Just wanted to let you know that i had over £600 pounds in charges repaid and £50 given, from Halifax, to say sorry. I used the letter template and sent the letter yesterday. I missed 3 calls from the bank this afternoon and had 2 text messages sent to call them. They were very keen to give me my money back which makes me think if i had taken it further i could have received more. But i was just happy to get what i was owed.

Do it, but give evidence. Bank statements ect. If you have online banking you can print back statements from there to save the fees.

Hope this helps.

Kylie :j

Hi Kylie
    I wrote to halifax in August/september requestingbank charge reimbursement etc.. They generously credited my account with £10 and said that was the end of it.
    On Friday morning I wrote an email to the new CEO of Halifax again requesting bank charges to be returned. I have worked it out, and since 2007 I have had £1256.
    However, my main arguement was that in Jan 2010, because I had gone overdrawn due to a returned direct debit etc, from Jan 7th- 30th Jan they charged me £20 in 9 consecutive days, resulting in a charge at the end of the month of £180! this didnt only happen once.
    After I sent an email, I received a text on Friday evening at 5;30pm asking me to contact a number and a specific person to deal with my enquiry. He was very helpful and ploite, however he was clearly trying to persuade me to accept 3 months backpayments, and for them to put a freeze on my account to stop further charges.
    I explained that although this was a good offer, it isnt really giving me anything back. The snowballing of fees resulted in regular chunks of my pay being eaten up. He agreed and said that they probably wouldnt be able to refund the past 6 years, I suggested that I call him back on Tuesday morning after I have reviewed my statements again and suggest a figure that I think is appropriate.
    Now, I have looked at the past 18months and this is £700 (jan 2010 - June 2011) and i am going to look online at thepast 6 months and add it together. Do you think I should request the last 2 years, as this is where I have been hit the most? I think it will come to approximately £900,but I would be happy with £600 if they wont give me that.
    What does everyone think? it seems very positive, but I dont want them to offer me a stupid amount, as I made it clear I would go to the FOS.

Hope someone can advise...
    thanks xx
  • Little_Mo_70
    Options
    Tommo2012 wrote: »
    Hello do you have an email address?!

Tommo
    Have sent you a PM but it doesn't show as having been sent. Did you get it?
  • STEVEN19666691
    Options
    Hello everyone,
    Just been offered total of £666 from Lloyds TSB. Was asking for over £2500, claiming under the hardship criteria. If i accept that amount, can i still go back and say that i think i deserve more (after banking the £666)or is that the end of it? I phoned and they said they paid me for a period between Aug 2007-July 2008, because i was unemployed at that time. I need every penny i can get at the moment, which is why i have accepted and i'm worried if i push further they will retract the offer. Any advice appreciated.
  • Duncan99
    Options
    I took out a loan from my bank about 6 years ago, i thought of going to a so called clams expert but decided to try money saving expert first, and am i glad i did, i sent of the claim form 2 letters and 2 weeks latter i have a cheque for £5600. Thank you Money saving expert yes thank you. :rotfl:
  • Little_Mo_70
    Options
    Hello everyone,
    Just been offered total of £666 from Lloyds TSB. Was asking for over £2500, claiming under the hardship criteria. If i accept that amount, can i still go back and say that i think i deserve more (after banking the £666)or is that the end of it? I phoned and they said they paid me for a period between Aug 2007-July 2008, because i was unemployed at that time. I need every penny i can get at the moment, which is why i have accepted and i'm worried if i push further they will retract the offer. Any advice appreciated.

You began your post by saying 'If you accept' and then finish by saying 'which is why I have accepted' so I am assuming you have accepted.

You've accepted. You can't be expected to go back on your word any more than you would expect the bank to. Quit while you're ahead I say. £666 is better than £000. They aren't obliged to give
    you anything at the end of the day and they gave a specific reason for refunding money for a particular timescale. If it were me I wouldn't persue them for more just in case it backfires on you.
  • sammitchell05
    Options
    Hi everyone

I just had a lengthy phone call with a guy from Halifax. I had contacted them regarding bank charges on Friday, I had a text asking me to call them. Anyway, after looking at my charges they total £1420 in 5 years, with £915 of that being in jan 2010- now.
    I noticed that i had gone over my overdraft by a £6 payment, and this resulted in them taking £240 out at the end of that month!!? surely this is an error? The guy said that I wouldnt get all of it back, and said he would refund the last few fees and send me a 'final response'
    He said Halifax aim to "meet the demands iof the customer", how is that meeting the demands when surely they have made an error that snowballed into me paying £915 in 2 years.
    I explained that I am in collections with Natwest, HOuse of Fraser and struggle with other payments. I have a student overdraft that is up for review in June and this offer is not sufficient to help.

What do people think? I am now in employment, but as a result of being at Uni and these charges, they have affected my credit rating/financial status and resulted in me being in debt with various companies to the point of being 'default'

I have wrote another email, saying that although I appreciate the offer, it is not satisfactory and will not help me out of the situation they have put me in... etc.

Any ideas anyone please??
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure