NatWest customers seeing money and wages "disappear"

Options
NatWest customers have been left seething after a glitch at the bank saw money disappear, and that's if they're even able to log on.

Outraged Britons flooded online to take the bank to task as wages went missing, money vanished and even heading to branches wasn't enough to find out where it had gone.

“We are aware that some customers are currently experiencing issues with our mobile app and online banking running slowly," NatWest told Mirror Money.

"Some customers are also seeing issues completing transfers on accounts. We are working hard to resolve this and apologise for the inconvenience caused."

Can't post a link but it's on the Daily Mirror

Nice way to start the bank holiday weekend, anyone had any problems?

Comments

• Robbie64
    Robbie64 Posts: 1,944 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Yes, although it was nowhere near as bad as some people have been experiencing based on the Daily Mirror article (link below). Half an hour ago I transferred some money from one NatWest account to another and instead of it appearing in the other account instantaneously it took about 20 minutes to appear. Online banking has also been very slow at times today, possibly due to server overload.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/money/natwest-online-banking-down-what-7438405
  • fairy_lights
    fairy_lights Posts: 9,220 Forumite
    Options
    Yep, I transferred some money from my NatWest current account in to a Natwest savings account this morning, it left my current account and then vanished. 6 hours later, it has finally shown up in my savings account.
    Not a big deal really, I knew it would come back eventually but for people who needed to access their money instantly for bills etc it could have been a real problem.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Ah, so that explains what happened with my banking this morning. I'd just been paid, so i moved a few hundred quid into a couple of accounts - it went out but never went back into the other accounts.

I've checked and it's there now. I didn't think of worrying though!
  • TheShape
    TheShape Posts: 1,780 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Outraged Britons flooded online

Thereby making the problem worse.

This will happen occasionally so it is important not to rely on only one bank account.
  • SnowTiger
    SnowTiger Posts: 4,461 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 28 April 2017 at 5:45PM
    Options
    TheShape wrote: »
    Thereby making the problem worse.

This will happen occasionally so it is important not to rely on only one bank account.

This is a particularly bad time for it to happen. Many people will have expected to receive their salary today and we have a bank holiday weekend coming up.

I guess it demonstrates people still live hand to mouth, without having a financial safety net to fall back on.

Edit to add: only transfers made with the app are affected, apparently.
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,327 Forumite
    Options
    SnowTiger wrote: »
    This is a particularly bad time for it to happen. Many people will have expected to receive their salary today and we have a bank holiday weekend coming up.
    ....which could of course be related to why it's happened, albeit that's complete speculation! The last working day of the month being Friday 28th ahead of a bank holiday weekend is going to be a busy day for bank systems (LBG issues have also been reported today), although obviously they should all have sufficient capacity to handle it.
    SnowTiger wrote: »
    I guess it demonstrates people still live hand to mouth, without having a financial safety net to fall back on.
    Not convinced it demonstrates that at all - the only comments I see just signify that people are concerned if they can't access their money, I don't see anyone claiming crises and hardship as a result!
  • brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,514 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Quite funny tho' - I had a letter this a.m from NatWest,imploring me to install their new ,improved app:rotfl:
  • SnowTiger
    SnowTiger Posts: 4,461 Forumite
    Options
    brewerdave wrote: »
    Quite funny tho' - I had a letter this a.m from NatWest,imploring me to install their new ,improved app:rotfl:

It's won an award. Best banking app 2017. :rotfl:

http://www.britishbankawards.co.uk/previous-winners
  • Cash-Strapped.T32
    Options
    What I'm gutted about is that when it refused to let me log-in this morning, I assumed my old version of the android app had been superseded by newer versions to the point where it was not supported any more, so I went & updated to the current "improved" version. :(

Now I'm stuck with the current version of the app, which is slower & more untidy with no way to rill-back to the older version I was using before - annoying.
  • EssexExile
    EssexExile Posts: 6,151 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    So the money hasn't "disappeared" it's just taking a little longer to get wherever it's going? Oh dear.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure