PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

How long does fresh yeast last ?

Options

Comments

• danz0l
    danz0l Posts: 343 Forumite
    Options
    Just to follow up the first batch came out fine and the second looks set to be the same. Seems that although we activated the yeast for the second batch it was unnecessary as it came out about the same size as the first.

Oh and they taste fantastic too :)
    A male chef of 4. My restaurant is always full and i don't need to tout for business.
    OK OK
    I'm a house husband but it did sound better my way :beer:
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    weezl74 wrote: »
    hi, sorry to hijack the conversation, but I've read before about getting free fresh yeast from supermarkets. Is that what you did, and how did you do it? Like, who do you ask etc...

Ta muchly,

Weezl

That's not hijacking - it's asking a question relevant to the topic at hand.

Something we encourage on Old Style :)
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    danz0l wrote: »
    Back on topic and we have the rolls proofing and they are, SLOWLY as squeeky pointed out, rising. I'm making some more and this time activated the yeast in 20ml of warm water and 1tsp sugar and its alive :) its caused a great deal of interest in the house and the wife has now adopted two bubbles as her own LOL :)

I suppose she named them too?

Bubble and Squeak?

:)
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • danz0l
    danz0l Posts: 343 Forumite
    Options
    squeaky wrote: »
    I suppose she named them too?

Bubble and Squeak?

:)

LOL i wouldn't put it passed her :) She stood there for ages watching her little babies (bubbles to you and me) rise to the surface, fascinated she was too :)
    A male chef of 4. My restaurant is always full and i don't need to tout for business.
    OK OK
    I'm a house husband but it did sound better my way :beer:
  • Andy_Hamilton
    Options
    I crumble fresh yeast into the pan first letting it ferment long could make a massive loaf. I never have any problems and no yeast taste.

Fresh yeast should last a few weeks in the fridge and months in the freezer.
    I too just go to the bakery section and ask.
    Lets get this straight. Say my house is worth £100K, it drops £20K and I complain but I should not complain when I actually pay £200K via a mortgage:rolleyes:
  • JailhouseBabe
    JailhouseBabe Posts: 1,590 Forumite
    Options
    I'll be going to Tesco on way home from work to stock up on flour (in anticipation of new BM & price hikes :o) and thought I'd try getting some fresh yeast.

Can anyone tell me how long I can expect it to last for? And how is best to store it?

Thanks,
    JB x
    some people grin and bear it, others smile and do it :)
  • MRSMCAWBER
    MRSMCAWBER Posts: 5,442 Forumite
    Options
    Hi there

I tend to break mine into the size chunks i use and freeze them....it doesn't take long to defrost at all...
    -6 -8 -3 -1.5 -2.5 -3 -1.5-3.5
  • There_Goes_Trouble
    Options
    I've tried searching for this answer but can't find it, so sorry if I'm repeating an old question.

What's the best way to store fresh yeast in the fridge? I know I can freeze what I don't need to save it for another time, but sometimes I buy it a day or so before I want to use it and sometimes it dries out. Can I keep it in an airtight container or does it need to breathe?

Thanks for any help.
  • arkonite_babe
    Options
    I have recently started baking with fresh yeast and I store mine in a lock & lock in the fridge. I just pop it in one of the shelves on the fridge door out of the way.

HTH
  • stiltwalker
    stiltwalker Posts: 1,319 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I just keep mine wrapped in cling film in the fridge and find it will do fine for a week or two though as I make bread every day it doesn't often last that long.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure