The Travelling Fund; £10,000 in 10 months!!!

Options

Comments

• TiptoesDB
    TiptoesDB Posts: 232 Forumite
    Options
    Good luck Kat I will be reading with interest... what an amazing plan. You have been inspirational to us in our towards DF journey so far.

I went travelling when I finished Uni (15 years ago now - eek!) and loved every second of it. I went to off the beaten track places and worked for my food and lodgings all the way round (I had £1,000 in the bank when I left and was away for a year). I went to Nepal, Thailand, South Korea, Oz and NZ. It was one of the best things I have done.

I am excited for you!
    x
    LBM Aug 2013 - DEBTS AS OF THEN £25,150 :eek: now: £0 :j

Deposit savings pot: £0
  • Woodyrocks
    Woodyrocks Posts: 1,913 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Wow! What an energising post to open :) What an exciting year, and beyond, ahead of you. I would say good luck but have a feeling that as long as breath is in you, nothing will stop you succeeding at this.

I would add Central America and Africa to the growing list for sure.

Live for us all Kat!
    DEBT FREE AND LOVING LIFE
  • NinjaSavingKat
    Options
    WoodyRocks... funny you should say that! I was determined not to add to much of a stiff itinerary to my travels and was going to leave the years after Oz to chance... but the more I read now (Currently on Take Me With You by Brad Newman) the more I want to add Africa to the list...

Peru is on my wish list so might have to squeeze in a bit more - anywhere you would recommend I would love to hear about it!

TipToesDB
    - WOW! What a list! Did you go on your own? Favourite countries? Any tips?
    “Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent".
  • PurpleJay
    PurpleJay Posts: 526 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi Kat, your trip sounds awesome! Good luck with your savings plan, I am sure you will do it. I will follow with interest.

PJ x
    'Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain'
  • clippy_girl
    clippy_girl Posts: 2,283 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    NSK- Peru is fantastic so you will def have to squeeze in. I also went to Bolivia, Chile, Argentina and Brazil (did 2 trips). I absolutely love south america- its my favourite continent :D

I am hoping to go to India this year as well (woohoo its the new year so its now this year!). Have you thought about that?

Perhaps you could attempt to go every single country in the world! 5 years is a very long time to just stick to a few places ;)
    :j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j
  • NinjaSavingKat
    Options
    Hello Clippy...Yes I have thought about India. I will be on my own for most of my travelling and have to plan carefully around current affairs. I also have to take into consideration that I have never travelled for longer than a month on my own and need to adjust slowly - hence the tourist riddled sections of South East Asia is a safe start zone.

India is on my list yes - as is every inch of the world. I intend to try everywhere if it feels right.

But my mind is where it should be, I am an expert researcher and nothing is out of reach now...
    “Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent".
  • NinjaSavingKat
    Options
    Oh thank goodness - just found my passport pictures to renew my British passport! Nothing like a good spring clean!
  • DreamerHelen
    DreamerHelen Posts: 2,629 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Hey Kat....Thank you for welcoming me to your Diary....I hope to keep up with it and encourage you along the way....

No, nothing to stop me really....just my own insecurities and fears I think....

I'm currently Studying so it's proving hard to become Debt Free...but I hope to get there eventually....and certainly once I've finished Studying...

Good Luck...and Congrats on the first rung on the Ladder to getting where you want to be!!

Also...what about the Middle East? Jordan is particularly beautiful....Egypt is also INCREDIBLE (although technically North Africa as opposed to the Middle East)...and Tunisia is wonderful (also North Africa)....if you get the chance to go out into the Desert with the Bedouins and spend time with them then do...they are wonderful people....
  • TiptoesDB
    TiptoesDB Posts: 232 Forumite
    Options
    Oh wow, reading everyone's suggestions makes me want to go away travelling again!!

nsk Nepal was amazing, as was South Korea. I worked in a school in both countries and for an NGO in Nepal also. Fabulous people and stunning and fascinating country. SK was really friendly and interesting. I forgot Japan off my list of travels, which was amazing also! I worked on Organic Farms in Japan, NZ and Oz, which is a great way to travel for free and meet lovely people. I just lazed on a beach in Thailand for a month. The only place I spent my saving really.

But, reading the posts has reminded me how I wanted to go to South America and was planning to do this when I got back home and saved more money but then life takes over blah blah and before you know it you are 36 (just), married and realised you kind of got caught up in everything you said you wouldn't (although I am not a slave to a mortgage or a job I hate!).

Go you though, how fabulous and brave and exciting! Can't wait to hear it become reality...
    LBM Aug 2013 - DEBTS AS OF THEN £25,150 :eek: now: £0 :j

Deposit savings pot: £0
  • apple_muncher
    apple_muncher Posts: 14,731 Forumite
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    WOOF!

tiptoesDB made me think of it - Working On an Organic Farm. My sister did this in Spain with her dd and loved it! Think google may have info on it.
    NST March lion #8; NSD ; MFW9/3/23 Whoop Whoop!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure