PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Storecupboard Essentials

Options

Comments

• Ken68
    Ken68 Posts: 6,825 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Energy Saving Champion Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    You can't beat natural ingredients, home grown, steamed or pressure/slow cooked and with nothing added,except the protein.
    An oven is an expensive way to cook.
  • newlywed
    newlywed Posts: 8,255 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    My essentials are milk, flour, eggs, sugar, choc chips (for cakes and biccies), tinned tomatoes or passata, onions, basil and oregano, stock cubes, oil (I hardly use any anyway).

With some extra veg and meat you can use these things to make pasta sauce, shepherds pie, risotto, omlette, soup, lasagna and cakes/biscuits. :D

Worcs sauce is a bonus but not necessary as it adds flavour to s/pie, pasta sauce, lasagna, soup.
    working on clearing the clutterDo I want the stuff or the space?
  • Alfietinker
    Alfietinker Posts: 562 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Another vote for the tinned tomatoes!

I always have loads of fresh veg around and base meals on these - ie pasta sauces with added veg, veggie stirfry, risotto etc. Also soy sauce, garlic, vinegar etc to add to said stirfries etc.

Flour, butter, milk always for making a white sauce etc.
    New year, no debt! Debt free date - 02/01/07 :j :j :j :D
  • meerkatgirl
    meerkatgirl Posts: 140 Forumite
    Options
    Stock cubes and garlic - then when you have any veg that's looking a little past it's best, add some garlic and stock, blend it up and you get great soup.

The other thing I like to have to hand is red lentils - good for bulking out meat dishes like shepherd's pie or curry, but there's loads of things you can do with them on their own - dhal, soup, bakes, pate... And they're fantasically cheap!
  • organic_wanabe
    Options
    Perhaps you should think about a slowcooker. Tesco Deal of the Day has one for 60% off at £13.97 ("You Are What You Eat" slowcooker).
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi imoral angel,

These older threads might help:

Help!! Basic shopping list needed

Your fully comprehensive storecupboard

Pink
  • immoral_angeluk
    immoral_angeluk Posts: 24,506 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I would have no idea how to use a slowcooker.. :confused:
    Total 'Failed Business' Debt £29,043
    Que sera, sera. <3
  • DawnW
    DawnW Posts: 7,440 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    tins of tomatoes as before, tomato puree, soy sauce, worcestershire sauce, flour (if you keep it in a sealed plastic container it won't get thingies in it), margarine and/or butter, stock cubes, eggs, tins tuna (for sandwiches, jacket potato fillings, pasta sauce), tins of anchovies, lots of fresh veg, garlic, depends on what you want to make really. Don't feel you need to buy lots of stuff all at once that you might not use, look at the meal planning threads on here, and have a go at that. This way, you buy only what you need. Otherwise you end up having to do regular 'store cupboard challenges' and 'use up months' like the rest of us!

Well done on the toad in the hole. If you can cook that, you can do lots of other things as well. Check out some of the recipes on here, or look for good recipe books in charity shops or ebay, or ask for one for a birthday or Christmas present. Delia, Jamie Oliver, Nigel Slater and Hugh Fearnley Whittingstall are the ones I like, and their recipes always work, but others may have different preferences.

Oh, and welcome to the OS board!!
  • immoral_angeluk
    immoral_angeluk Posts: 24,506 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    What would you use stock cubes for then? Have never used them but heard bits about them... I always just use gravy in cottage pies etc?

Sorry just realised how completely rubbish I sound... I'm 21 for gods sake and should be able to cook by now! Argh!
    Total 'Failed Business' Debt £29,043
    Que sera, sera. <3
  • liz105
    liz105 Posts: 378 Forumite
    Options
    ...Angel, thank you so much, for making me laugh for the first time today....an image of a grown man infested with Wombles! That is the best thing I've read on the internet for ages! :j :rotfl:
    Mummy to two girls, 4 & 1, been at home for four years, struggling to contend with the terrifying thought of returning to work.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure