Budget Wars - A New Hope (with apologies to George Lucas)

Options

Comments

• Bobarella
    Bobarella Posts: 10,824 Forumite
    Savvy Shopper! I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 21 December 2016 at 3:47PM
    Options
    Afternoon All

OH is officially off sick today. He has been struggling on all week whilst WFH but he didn't get much sleep so he's called in sick. I had to do a job first thing so cycled over early and sorted that out, was back by 9. DD and I went out for supplies, leaving OH to nap and DS to pottering.
    It was heaving in Mr S, the atmosphere seems to be really ramping up now. Lots of people looking miserable with trollies piled high. I did appreciate the member of staff who came and spoke to us and waggled her festive headwear at DD. I know they've been briefed to do it but she seemed genuine.
    We came out with 5 birthday cards at 49p each, which covers all the late December, whole of January birthdays we have. Pizza for tea, lazy but easy I think the saying goes. Some canned soup, one with 5p off due to a dent. Tinned basics peaches for DS who loves them, frozen raspberries too, he eats them like sweets. Loaf of bread, milk, bag of chips. Oh and own brand cream crackers. We go through those like no one's business too.

Came home, DD napped on the way back. Found 2p roadkill. OH decided to come down and get in his sleeping bag to watch a movie. Did the 3 of us soup and toast, with toast and cucumber for DD. Since then have pottered about hanging out the washing, packing away the dry clothes, washing up and sticking the DW on.

I managed to wrap three gifts whilst DD napped. I am very stingy with wrapping paper. Apart from the presents from Santa which have to look nice, all of the family gifts are wrapped in reused paper saved from DS's birthday and some from last Xmas. DD is just going to rip it all off anyway so so no point in having anything nice. And it always seems so sad that the lovely 'new' paper goes straight into landfill. So I use and reuse as many times as possible. Likewise with gift tags.
    DS big present arrived yesterday and is stashed under the stairs.....

I asked the guys last night what they want for pudding on Christmas day and they said mince pies and ice cream. Well I have still got a jar of 10p YS mince meat in the cupboard from last year, and half a jar in the fridge. So once my pastry is made all I need is the ice cream. Will do the same Xmas day menu as usual I suspect.

Breakfast
    Bagels with garlic and onion cream cheese for DS/ Smoked salmon and light cream cheese for us. Coffee/OJ

Christmas Lunch
    Prawns in Marie rose sauce with bread and buttter or salmon mousse, with brown bread and butter for all
    Roast Turkey, with sausage meat balls, pigs in blankets, roast potatoes, oven roasted veggies (parsnips, carrots,onions) then kale and peas

Pudding as mentioned

Christmas dinner
    Stilton, Good cheddar (probably Keens or Quickes) & a semi soft, like Cornish Yarg.
    Salads
    Cold meats, we need another ham!
    Lots of nibbly bits, I do like a pork pie, mini gherkins, potato salad etc
    Fizz!

I will be looking for any YS items on my menu in the next few days. It's good to make a saving that way.

Feeling quite christmassy now :)

Bob
    " Your vibe attracts your tribe":D

Debt neutral :) 27/03/17 from £40k:eek: in the hole 2012.
    Roadkill 17 £56.58 2016-£62.28 2015- £84.20)
    RYSAW17 £1900 2016 £2,535.16 2015 £1027.20
  • hugglemonster
    Options
    Hope dh feels better soon, nothing worse than feeling unwell over Xmas.

I'm dreading the supermarket shop, I hate it at the best of times but Xmas is worse. I need to look up what time the stores are open Thursday and Friday.

Your Xmas food plans sound delicious!

I reuse Xmas cards to make gift tags, have done for year - got funny looks when I first started but now it's just part of the routine, I haven't saved wrapping paper before as you say it usually gets ripped off.

H x
  • f0xh0les
    f0xh0les Posts: 6,878 Forumite
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    Oh no to poorly DH. My DH is coming down with a cold, he claims.

I have a 15p stash of R0berts0ns for my mice pies too(we went somewhere or other and the menu had a spelling mistake, so I make mice pies now, with pastry tails).
    4/10/22One Year Mortgage Free Yay!
    NSTurtle # 55 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢🐢🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 No Turtle gets left behind.[/b]
    ******PROUD MEMBER OF THE TOFU EATING COALITION OF CHAOS !!!******
  • Bobarella
    Options
    Hope dh feels better soon, nothing worse than feeling unwell over Xmas.

I'm dreading the supermarket shop, I hate it at the best of times but Xmas is worse. I need to look up what time the stores are open Thursday and Friday.

Your Xmas food plans sound delicious!

I reuse Xmas cards to make gift tags, have done for year - got funny looks when I first started but now it's just part of the routine, I haven't saved wrapping paper before as you say it usually gets ripped off.

H x

Thank you Huggle. I hope the fact there is still 3 days left and he is now off work anyway will help. We've all had it in stages so inevitable really.
    The wrapping paper thing, once you start trying to save it it is possible, adults can be more careful than kids etc, depends how welded on it is etc too.
    My advice for the supers would be go very early or very late for the rest of the week. Or do an online delivery.?
    f0xh0les wrote: »
    Oh no to poorly DH. My DH is coming down with a cold, he claims.

I have a 15p stash of R0berts0ns for my mice pies too(we went somewhere or other and the menu had a spelling mistake, so I make mice pies now, with pastry tails).

I hope your husband is ok. I'm convinced half of it is the weather, which has been freezing, then mild, then wet and miserable. Not cold enough to really kill off the germs yet is it.

Mice pies! :rotfl::T

• Bobarella
    Options
    Hi All

OH is better and was up for coming shopping today so we did. My little and often approach is paying dividends. Today I got all my Xmas veg for 90p. Covers carrots, brocoli, parsnips just need Potatoes now!
    There were SO many YS christmas desserts already. Anyone wanting posh puddings needs to get down to Mr S tonight, you will save ££.

I need to get started on my main 2017 goals soon. Now DH is on holiday I should have a lot more time to plan. Things feel more optimistic than last year anyway.

Have a good Thursday all.

Bob

• f0xh0les
    Options
    Optimism is so cool!

You just reminded me to sign up to all those threads and challenges for 2017, but I am going to get distracted by a sparkly bauble, and then someone is going to ask for a sandwich, and I will only remember again once I am doing the washing up (happens often!).
    NSTurtle # 55 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢🐢🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 No Turtle gets left behind.[/b]
  • Ratison
    Ratison Posts: 263 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Hi Bob, hope you're going to have a few quiet days over Christmas. It's exhausting just reading your thread and seeing how busy you are!
  • Bobarella
    Options
    Ratison wrote: »
    Hi Bob, hope you're going to have a few quiet days over Christmas. It's exhausting just reading your thread and seeing how busy you are!

I am Ratison! One more day to go and I'm done for a long old stint. I haven't had any time off since last Christmas, not properly. So :j:j:beer:

• Bobarella
    Options
    f0xh0les wrote: »
    Optimism is so cool!

You just reminded me to sign up to all those threads and challenges for 2017, but I am going to get distracted by a sparkly bauble, and then someone is going to ask for a sandwich, and I will only remember again once I am doing the washing up (happens often!).

Thank you! I do that all the time. notebook and pen on my bedside table is my friend on that one.

• f0xh0les
    Options
    House full of kids and an academic, like my pen stays where I put it!:rotfl: Every birthday and Xmas they all get pens and pencils and they rob mine at every opportunity so I have to ask to borrow one of theirs and then they look at me like I am the disorganised one. :mad:

She's making a list, she's checking it twice, it doesn't matter if you're naughty or nice cos you've nicked her pen.

Happy Christmas Eve Eve :j:j:j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport