John Lewis won't reissue £300 gift card

Options
Hi
I tried selling a £300 gift card on eBay and anyway the guy that brought it tried to scam me. As soon as he brought it and I sent through the details he put a payment reversal through PayPal saying he didn't recognise transaction.
Anyway I quickly rang John Lewis and the person who I spoke to was really helpful. He told me that there was a pending transaction of £289 on there and advised that he could freeze the gift card for me. I thought great thanks yes please! He also advised that if I could provide proof that the gift card was issued to me then they would issue the gift card.
I actually had proof as this was sent to me via a special promotions from a well known retailer. I scanned through all the document and then emailed this to them.
Now John Lewis saying that they can't help me and that I have lost the money. Basically John Lewis has gained money from this as they have froze the gift card and plus the order didn't go through to the other eBay person so they haven't lost out anything.
I know I shouldn't have sold the card on eBay but we really needed the money and I actually tried selling in good faith.
Is there anything else I can do or have I really lost out. £300 is not really a small amount as well so I am really furious.

Comments

• elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,866 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    What reason have they given you for not reissuing it?
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • mariahussain
    Options
    As I tried selling on eBay and it's my fault.
  • daytona0
    daytona0 Posts: 2,358 Forumite
    Options
    This part:
    I actually had proof as this was sent to me via a special promotions from a well known retailer.

What does that mean?

Who issued the gift card?
  • mariahussain
    Options
    It was issued from Neff. Basically I brought a qualifying oven and they sent me the gift card as part of the promotion
  • nannytone_2
    nannytone_2 Posts: 12,951 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    someone on Ebay was willing to pay you £300 for a £300 gift card?

why would they do that when they could just pay themselves for goods unto that amount directly?

that should have rung alarm bells to you.
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,866 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    As I tried selling on eBay and it's my fault.

Is there anything in the gift card terms and conditions about selling cards on?
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • mariahussain
    Options
    nannytone wrote: »

why would they do that when they could just pay themselves for goods unto that amount directly?

I sold it minus £10 as it usually attracts buyers to buy it for a cheaper price.
  • waamo
    waamo Posts: 10,298 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    elsien wrote: »
    Is there anything in the gift card terms and conditions about selling cards on?

This may cover it in their t&c's

I’ve lost my gift card

Please protect your card and treat it as cash; we cannot replace lost, stolen or damaged cards.
  • meer53
    meer53 Posts: 10,217 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Aren't you disputing this with Paypal ?
  • malkie76
    malkie76 Posts: 6,170 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    nannytone wrote: »

People will commonly pay face value for gift cards (occasionally more). It's a common form of money laundering apparently.
    Legal team on standby
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport