Majorca car hire firm has not refunded my card

Options
Hi

I am hoping someone can help me with some advice.
I recently hired a car in Majorca from the car hire firm, RecordGo.

At the start of the hire they took 100 euros from my credit card. Part of which was a prepayment for fuel to be refunded upon return of the car if refilled. The terms were provided in writing and were quite specific that the returned car must be refueled at the exorbitant airport garage and a receipt retained.

I complied with this but my credit card statement now shows that that they've only refunded a partial amount.

I've emailed the hire company, opened a support ticket and sent a copy of the fuel receipt but they've just ignored me,

What can else can I do?

Thanks

Comments

• Alan_Bowen
    Alan_Bowen Posts: 4,850 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Make a formal complaint to your redit card company on the basis that the rental company appears to be in breach of contract in refusing the full refund and failing to respond to correspondence. Once they get contacted by their own bank, I expect they will suddenly find a reason not to offer a refund but at least it will get things moving
  • NiftyDigits
    NiftyDigits Posts: 10,459 Forumite
    Options
    The customer will have to choose one of our fuel options: “Basic Service” or “Premium Service”
    The amount to reimburse will be calculated based on the amount of fuel left. The unit of measure will be every 1/8 of a tank in the vehicle's gauge. In case clients decide to return the vehicle full of fuel, as a requisite we will need that they provide us with the receipt of the gas station adjacent to the airport. If the customer does not provide us with the gas station receipt, our automated refueling system will check the amount of fuel left in the vehicle.

This indicates you were on the "Basic Service"
    The “Basic Service” rate includes a non-refundable 24-euro handling fee (TAX included).
  • bikeman
    bikeman Posts: 318 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    NiftyDigits - I think you make an incorrect assumption regarding the hire agreement.

I have carefully checked my agreement and the 24Euro fee you refer to is covered by sect 3.1.1 when the fuel policy is full-used.

However my agreement clearly states the fuel policy as full-full, sect 3.1.1. states that the car is to be returned full, that I will not have to pay the handling fee but will have to provide a fuel receipt from the airport gas station, which I did.

In any case that RecordGo just ignore my correspondence is unacceptable.
  • NiftyDigits
    Options
    bikeman wrote: »
    NiftyDigits - I think you make an incorrect assumption regarding the hire agreement.

I have carefully checked my agreement and the 24Euro fee you refer to is covered by sect 3.1.1 when the fuel policy is full-used.

However my agreement clearly states the fuel policy as full-full, sect 3.1.1. states that the car is to be returned full, that I will not have to pay the handling fee but will have to provide a fuel receipt from the airport gas station, which I did.

In any case that RecordGo just ignore my correspondence is unacceptable.

I don't do incorrect assumptions, I just understand what I read.
    FUEL POLICY

The client will be provided with the vehicle full of fuel and it is not necessary to refuel it, allowing the client to avoid all the hassle and worry of having to find a gas station while on their way to the airport. Furthermore, once they return the vehicle they will not have to wait to have the vehicle fuel level checked as this will be done automatically at our logistics facilities. The unused amounts of fuel left will be reimbursed.

As with the current policy, the full tank of fuel will be charged to the client at pick up. Do take into account that the amount charged depends on the vehicle model received as well as on the price of fuel in the market on the pick-up date and will include the handling and logistics fee of 24 Euros (taxes included).

The amount to reimburse will be calculated based on the amount of fuel left. The unit of measure will be every 1/8 of a tank in the vehicle's gauge. The handling and logistics fee is not reimbursable.

Please take into account that this policy will be applicable to bookings with all durations (from 1-28+days). In case of upgrade the fuel price will be the one of the model provided.

In case clients decide to return the vehicle full of fuel, as a requisite we will need that they provide us with the receipt of the airport’s gas station. The handling and logistics fee will not be reimbursable in this case either. Should clients not provide us with the receipt, we will reimburse the corresponding amount. Please be aware that in these cases the average to reimburse is approximately 7/8 of a tank.

So even if you return with a full tank and comply fully, you get back, at the most, 76€...unless you select 'Premium Service'.

I can't see your agreement. I can only see their current T&C here

If you have a differing agreement from RecordGo, contact your bank and present them with the evidence.

They have only two fuel policies. Basic Service and Premium Service. The first has the 24€ charge, the second does not.

Perhaps you can take a picture of the whole section of the agreement to which you refer and post it here for our perusal.
  • bikeman
    Options
    I must admit that your reply has annoyed my until I realised that the t&cs you refer to are not the same as the agreement I was provided with.

What I have quite clearly states that My agreement was fuel policy full-full and states 'your vehicle will be provided with a full tank of fuel. we will reimburse you unused fuel...you will not have to pay for the handling fee'.
  • bikeman
    Options
    I was charged both a daily charge plus 40E for a go pack - total 96E
  • NiftyDigits
    Options
    I must admit that your reply has annoyed my until I realised that the t&cs you refer to are not the same as the agreement I was provided with.

What I have quite clearly states that My agreement was fuel policy full-full and states 'your vehicle will be provided with a full tank of fuel. we will reimburse you unused fuel...you will not have to pay for the handling fee'.

The Premium Service has a daily charge x the length of your rental. The Basic Service has a fixed 24€ charge.
    You can take a look at your original booking records to ascertain which policy you are on. It's quite possible that the excerpt you quote pertains to the Premium Service...to which you did not subscribe,
    You don't appear to understand that Full-Full applies to both of their Fuel policies....but you have to pay for their Full-Full policy. Either 24€ (Basic Service)or a charge per day times the length of your rental in days(Premium Service).

The difference between the two policies?

Basic, you have to use the station close to the airport and get charged 24€.
    Premium, you can use any station that you like and you get a 3 litre 'grace margin'.

But you pay for either of these policies. Either 24€ or a fixed amount times the length of your rental in days.

I hope the policy is more clear to you now.

If you have a daily charge, you chose the Premium Service. So the charge is the daily charge for the Premium Service.

This is the problem with these 'low cost model' rental companies. Too confusing for many.
  • bikeman
    edited 18 November 2015 at 11:37PM
    Options
    It's not clear from my booking sheet which policy is in effect - it doesn't say either basic or premium on it.

It says:

Renting rates:
    daily cost: 1.86
    prepaid amount:0
    excess: 0
    total charges: 40
    total with tax: 87.88 - how is this arrived at since 1.86x7days is only 13.02
    payment against total: 96.21 - that's 8.33 more than the total with tax
  • NiftyDigits
    Options
    It's not clear from my booking sheet which policy is in effect - it doesn't say either basic or premium on it.

It says:

Renting rates:
    daily cost: 1.86
    prepaid amount:0
    excess: 0
    total charges: 40
    total with tax: 87.88 - how is this arrived at since 1.86x7days is only 13.02
    payment against total: 96.21 - that's 8.33 more than the total with tax

The 40€ is possibly the cost including the Basic/Premium Service ot the Go Pack.

I really have no idea. Would be easier if one could see the actual invoice.
    Either way, what has occurred to you is not uncommon. Read the reviews.
    I mean, who really thinks they are going to pay 1.86€ per day for car rental?
    The 40€ 'Go Pack' is apparently for the privilege of just leaving the keys and going. I mean...really?
  • SW17
    SW17 Posts: 858 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I mean, who really thinks they are going to pay 1.86€ per day for car rental?
    The 40€ 'Go Pack' is apparently for the privilege of just leaving the keys and going. I mean...really?

Indeed, but but based on the queues I see at the RecordGo desk in Palma airport (and Goldcar's...), the sales tactic seems to work. In fairness, sometimes you will end up with a better deal than you'd get with the more transparent companies, but I can't be bothered trying to calculate it all out in advance.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure