MSE News: Was your car affected by the VW emissions scandal? You could claim £1,000s

Options

Comments

• neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    mac.d wrote: »
    I never said it wasn't?

I'm only concerned if the car has any issues after the 'fix', or if the car's resale/trade-in value is affected by all of this.

I've not read too much about either of those potential issues up until now, but it is a concern. For me, apart from it being very reliable and a good car to drive, one of the main reason's to buy a VW was because it holds its value well.

Therefore, if I as a VW owner, am now a little bit circumspect about buying another VW, then its not a huge leap to think that less people will be interested in buying them used, which will mean the value will fall.

So if the only way to make sure I don't lose out because of VW's wrongdoings is to consider joining some kind of legal action, is that wrong? I'm not keen to do it and quite possibly won't as I don't like the compensation culture nowadays. I'll probably end up being the one to lose out it though. :huh:
    Well you did say you purchased your car on the belief that it was the "greener option" and I was merely showing that it was as advertised.

TBH, I have no objection to anyone seeking compensation if they have, and most importantly, can prove they've suffered a quantifiable loss. However I do find it odd that the first thing a lot of owners are doing is jumping on the old "I've been missold, it's not as greener as I was led to believe" bandwagon when in reality there's been no such evidence of this.

Good luck with your claim. :)
  • mac.d
    mac.d Posts: 1,345 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Yes and I explained why I went for a diesel VW as it was supposedly greener than a petrol car.

I know your replies have been all tinged by the people who are going to claim just because they see £££'s and will use any excuse they can find to justify it. ;)

I'm just peeved with VW. As much as I like my car, I'd probably just be better selling it right away and getting something else. If only I could be bothered with the hassle! I'll no doubt keep it, get the 'fix' done and just look on forlornly as other people grab £1000 compensation. As like you say, for what exactly (apart from my possible loss of trade-in/sale value - of course!) :mad:
  • TickersPlaysPop
    Options
    mac.d wrote: »
    Yes and I explained why I went for a diesel VW as it was supposedly greener than a petrol car.

I know your replies have been all tinged by the people who are going to claim just because they see £££'s and will use any excuse they can find to justify it. ;)

I'm just peeved with VW. As much as I like my car, I'd probably just be better selling it right away and getting something else. If only I could be bothered with the hassle! I'll no doubt keep it, get the 'fix' done and just look on forlornly as other people grab £1000 compensation. As like you say, for what exactly (apart from my possible loss of trade-in/sale value - of course!) :mad:

Many people are reporting car problems immediately after the fix, so please carefully consider it. Especially since VW have refused to reverse the fix for many people. Lower economy, lower power, particulate filter problems...

Harcus Sinclair group FAQ page Q49: ".... have commissioned independent tests to try and reach a conclusion on this issue."
    Peace.
  • kmb500
    kmb500 Posts: 656 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You shouldn't need to justify your loss, these scummy companies should be sued to oblivion and lose everything they have. They need to learn that they cannot get away with cheating and lying.
  • samwardill
    Options
    Many people are reporting car problems immediately after the fix, so please carefully consider it. Especially since VW have refused to reverse the fix for many people. Lower economy, lower power, particulate filter problems...

Harcus Sinclair group FAQ page Q49: ".... have commissioned independent tests to try and reach a conclusion on this issue."

Thanks TickersPlaysPop. If you were an owner of a affected VW would you:
    - avoid the fix for now
    - join the Harcus Sinclair group?

I'm not sure what to do.
  • TickersPlaysPop
    TickersPlaysPop Posts: 753 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 27 January 2017 at 9:45PM
    Options
    samwardill wrote: »
    Thanks TickersPlaysPop. If you were an owner of a affected VW would you:
    - avoid the fix for now
    - join the Harcus Sinclair group?

I'm not sure what to do.

I'm an owner of a 2010 1.6 diesil golf purchased in 2011 and received a letter from VW saying the fix is ready and absolutely do not consider myself an expert on all this. I've read a lot and haven't found anything to make me fully decide.

I'm holding back from the fix, but remember that the fix is different for different cars. Mine is a hardware and software change. I was told by a administrator at VW mot service, that it was a compulsory fix!

I am going to keep a very close eye on the law firms taking action, there are 3 groups as far as I can see. There is a good summary on mse written on 10th Jan. So I don't think there are hard deadlines with joining the actions at this point. But is worth registering with them all to help them influence this initial stage. They need a significant number of people for VW to take them seriously. The only official VW response to the harcus action mentions 75 people ! In reality they will, have 10000's.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/reclaim/2017/01/was-your-car-affected-by-the-vw-emissions-scandal-you-could-claim-1000s-by-joining-group-lawsuit

Hope this helps
    Peace
    Peace.
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,131 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Please can you post the Facebook group name in full? I've tried searching for it but can't find one that has lots of people reporting car problems after the fix.

Cheers
    sorry, just seen this

The Volkswagen diesel customer forum (Emissions scandal)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/955027937948541/
  • TickersPlaysPop
    Options
    This is proof some of the car 'fixes' cause breakdowns and unreliability....

http://www.hypermiler.co.uk/dieselgate/the-volkswagon-group-is-systematically-refunding-owners-for-egr-failures-after-the-emissions-fix

VW provide free replacement of car parts that failed soon after fix was applied...
    Peace.
  • bigboots
    Options
    Hi all had mine back from fix over a week ago. did over 300miles motorway driving. oh boy it now likes to have a drink.. mpg is now shocking around 45mpg if i am lucky and its only 1.6. it used to be around 59+mpg... on the same trip. i have called them to collect it and double check it was all done. also the letter says i may be charged. anyone else got this issue?....
  • Aylesbury_Duck
    Aylesbury_Duck Posts: 14,003 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    bigboots wrote: »
    Hi all had mine back from fix over a week ago. did over 300miles motorway driving. oh boy it now likes to have a drink.. mpg is now shocking around 45mpg if i am lucky and its only 1.6. it used to be around 59+mpg... on the same trip. i have called them to collect it and double check it was all done. also the letter says i may be charged. anyone else got this issue?....
    Are the "before and after" figures real mpg or as shown by the trip computer? If the latter, don't rely on them. Unless you've properly measured mpg before and after the fix, you won't know if it has really dropped. My car's trip computer overstates the mpg by about 10%.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure