PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

New Build not as per plan

Options
We are in the process of buying a new house, a new build 4 bed, we have exchanged contracts and expect to move in at the end of October 2017.
We went to visit it last weekend, the first time we have been able to get inside it, and found that there isn't a window in the main bedroom (not that main large window, but there should be a smaller 2nd window on the side/outside wall - thats the one thats missing).
We were not told that this window wouldn't be put in, for whatever reason, we have the plans for the house given to us when we exchanged - they show that there should be a window, and also, there are two other houses of the same design on our road, and they both have this 2nd window.
Whilst it isn't the end of the world - I am a bit annoyed that the £350k house we have committed to buy isn't the same as the plans? We have had no communication that this will be different to the plans, or that there was some kind of problem meaning the window can't be fitted etc.
Do we have any right to compensation in this circumstance?
We haven't yet discussed this with the house builder as wanted to get some more facts behind us before we go.
Would appreciate any advice :)

Comments

• davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    What does your contract say about the specification of the house?
  • ProDave
    ProDave Posts: 3,721 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    The brochure almost certainly says for guidance only not part of contract etc.

Is there a planning / overlooking reason why this window may have been missed out?

Talk to the developer, what do they say? I would be saying you have saved £x00 by not fitting it, I want that off the price.
  • pinkshoes
    pinkshoes Posts: 20,089 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Start by asking why it wasn't put in?

What was the view from the window? South facing and let lots of sun in?

You will need to negotiate or ask to pull out if you feel it is detrimental to the design.
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
  • aneary
    aneary Posts: 921 Forumite
    Options
    pinkshoes wrote: »
    Start by asking why it wasn't put in?

What was the view from the window? South facing and let lots of sun in?

You will need to negotiate or ask to pull out if you feel it is detrimental to the design.

They have exchanged they can't pull out without losing £1000s.
  • BBSB
    BBSB Posts: 12 Forumite
    Options
    It says that changes may be made, but that they need to inform us in writing. Which they have not done.
  • BBSB
    Options
    Yes our solicitor has informed us that the builders are able to change the house from the plans, but if it affects the appearance or function etc that they need to inform us in writing.
    I can't see a sensible reason why they would have missed it out, there is a house of the same design 4 doors down, facing the same direction and that has the window in. It only overlooks our driveway and the front of the street, nothing more than any other window at the front of the house.
    To be honest I think they've genuinely overlooked it.
  • BBSB
    Options
    Yes its south west facing.
    Not in a position to pull out now, and really we wouldn't over a small window anyway. I think its the principle :(
  • Contessa
    Contessa Posts: 1,131 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    My reply is based on not having seen a plan of your house so I don't fully understand the layout.

Having said that, all the bedrooms I've lived in had only one large window (even detached houses)

Although there would be more light with another window, the lack of one may mean a long unobstructed wall and no need for the expense of curtains/blinds.

But I'd still be annoyed and want an explanation/apology/rectification/compensation ( delete as appropriate)
  • BBSB
    Options
    Yes that exactly it really. It's the principle of getting what you have paid for.
  • ComicGeek
    ComicGeek Posts: 1,539 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    If you're honest with yourself, I doubt that you wouldn't have originally bought the house just because it didn't have the second small window. Don't get so caught up with the principle that you don't enjoy the house,

It's very common for the same house-type on an estate to have small variations (it's the bane of my working life as I have to identify and account for these minor variations), just so that there is some visual differences and not just the same box everywhere.

Yes, ask the question why it hasn't been incorporated and why you haven't been formally notified, but don't let it ruin the experience, especially when you wouldn't have missed it if you didn't know about it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure