Glasses Buying Cost Cutting Plan Article Discussion Area

Options

Comments

• jicms
    jicms Posts: 482 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Steve_xx wrote: »
    You may say that varifocals costs are excessive, but I know an optician who pays:

1. £38k per annum rental and rates of £22k
    2. Fuel costs
    3. Staff costs
    4. Equipment costs

Therefore, if he charges an average of £20 for an eye test then he would have to perform 3000 eye tests alone just to pay for item 1 above. That equals 31.25 weeks of work per annum assuming that an average eye test might take some 25 minutes and there are 40 hours in a working week.

So it's not all as rosy for opticans as you may think at first glance.

I have just been quoted £384 for a pair of varifocal glasses!! No wonder the store was empty. Do they really expect to keep afloat charging these prices in a credit crisis? This was for the cheapest, reasonably fashionable, designer frame I found. Can't imagine the stress involved if I lost them! They did offer insurance but this only covered damage, not loss.

I will take a chance and order online. Has anyone successfully ordered their first pair of varifocals online?

As far as the store running costs, Primark also have large expensive stores to run!!
  • Steve_xx
    Steve_xx Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    jicms wrote: »
    I have just been quoted £384 for a pair of varifocal glasses!! No wonder the store was empty. Do they really expect to keep afloat charging these prices in a credit crisis? This was for the cheapest, reasonably fashionable, designer frame I found. Can't imagine the stress involved if I lost them! They did offer insurance but this only covered damage, not loss.

I will take a chance and order online. Has anyone successfully ordered their first pair of varifocals online?

As far as the store running costs, Primark also have large expensive stores to run!!
    I would suggest that you try Primark for your spectacles. I'm sure you will be suitably impressed with their range.
  • jicms
    jicms Posts: 482 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I think you missed the point!
  • Steve_xx
    Steve_xx Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Perhaps you would care to elaborate further?
  • nico26
    nico26 Posts: 823 Forumite
    edited 6 June 2009 at 6:49AM
    Options
    Your spouting rubbish .Primark are a world wide company how can you compare to your local high street optician. £384 is normal for a good quality pair of varifocals with designer frames. In Malaysia you can get a pair of glasses for £30 but with varifocals its different they are roughly the same as uk. You can get them cheaper but with a cheap lens, but with a good quality lens its the same price.
  • bigzippy
    bigzippy Posts: 4,034 Forumite
    Options
    Haven't read anything back, but does anyone know where I can get cheap prescription sunglasses??
    "I am indelibly stained by hope and longing" - Nuts in May
  • meanmum
    meanmum Posts: 610 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    For cheap prescription sunglasses, as simple single vision tinted lenses in a huge range of frames, try Zenni optical. There are a number of posts about them on this thread if you just search the thread.
    Complete glasses start at $8, the tint is another $5, postage to the UK is $9.
    To choose a frame, I'd recommend you start with some you have already & measure them to match the measurements on the Zenni site.
  • iceburn
    iceburn Posts: 680 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    nico26 wrote: »
    Your spouting rubbish .Primark are a world wide company how can you compare to your local high street optician. £384 is normal for a good quality pair of varifocals with designer frames. In Malaysia you can get a pair of glasses for £30 but with varifocals its different they are roughly the same as uk. You can get them cheaper but with a cheap lens, but with a good quality lens its the same price.

Also if Primark the store I am thinking of dont they sell clothes? So you are like comparing Apples with Oranges. They are completely different. (I know Nico you not comparing the two.) But reason quoting u is cause what you said about Malaysia, in Italy glasses are very expensive cost like £200 just for the frame. Wife mum can spend between £500 - £1000 glasses. When she come over here to UK that is the first thing she does is get new glasses. It pays for the flight ;-)
  • nedmundo
    nedmundo Posts: 1,160 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    jicms wrote: »

Without roughly knowing your prescription and exactly what lenses and frame were involved (i.e. varifocal design, index, transitions, coating etc) I couldn't possibly comment. From the price you mention, I can only assume top end frames and lenses are involved.

Post more details on and I'll point you in the right direction.
    Beware the character seeking personal gain masquerading as a moral crusader.
    :beer:
  • coolio_2
    coolio_2 Posts: 1,408 Forumite
    Options
    Has anyone used www.london-eyewear.co.uk ? Looking to get some frames from them but wondered if anyone has used them before
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback