22 Foxhole East

Comments

• greent
    greent Posts: 10,670 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    I feel your pain - after having an engineer out around 6/7 times for a washer-dryer within first 15 months I was told that the problems were my own fault for a- not using the dryer often enough(!) and b - having too big a family (I was told that 'normal' washing machines aren't built to cope with a family of 6....) :eek:
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • f0xh0les
    f0xh0les Posts: 6,861 Forumite
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Photogenic Name Dropper
    £5 Amazon voucher for silly football question once a week. Easy £20 a year. sometimes more. Starting to think about the 'C word, which is daft as DS2's birthday is next week, DH's birthday is the week after, DS1's birthday is the week after that and then DS4's birthday is Christmas Eve eve. So really I should be thinking about that first.

Neighbour gave me a hedge trimmer he found in the street. It is a bit rusty but still looks better than the one I am struggling with. Will clean it up and give it a go. Then he sidles up to me and says 'personal question. What exactly is it that you do for money?' Now am sorely tempted to put a big sign in the window saying SAILORS HALF PRICE ON WEDNESDAYS.

In other news, there is an exhaust from a car which gambled and lost on the speedbump outside my house. People are going to have to get used to not speeding on this road. All the side roads were bumped down to 20s over the summer, and ours got left at 30, although the other end of the road under the railway bridge is a 20. I can't see us staying at 30 for much longer.

The double glazing really cancels out the noise, so much so that I can no longer hear the traffic tempo change on the nearby main road at around 6am, so I slept in til 6.30 this morning. Will have to start setting the alarm clock!

So now it is officially autumn, and I am wearing short skirts and tights. I have a huge collection of tights I am trying to work my way through. Laddered a pair today and was so happy. I actually have tights which are older than my children. I am talking 9 years old. Not buying any more until this lot are gone. Even the red ones, and that pair of green ones that makes me laugh.

Scaffolders came and took the scaffold away, so I trimmed the privet bush on the front and swept up all the bits and pieces and weeded. Wonder if Mr F0x will notice?
    4/10/22One Year Mortgage Free Yay!
    NSTurtle # 55 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢🐢🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 No Turtle gets left behind.[/b]
    ******PROUD MEMBER OF THE TOFU EATING COALITION OF CHAOS !!!******
  • f0xh0les
    Up to £13.50 on YouGov, £6 on Tesco and £6 on Amazon. Need to get on with earning more. Or winning more.

Waiting on payday before I can overpay anything off the mortgage, one week to go until I know where I am. DS2 has a birthday next week, so need to sort a suitable present off his ransom list. Which I can't find.

S-i-L sent two T Shirts from N3xt. Have wrapped and labelled. He will be delighted.

DS1 needs to do work experience. He has no idea what he wants to do. I have asked S-i-L in Switzerland if she fancies having him over for a week and he can work shadow her, or be her office boy, or whatever. Might come to nothing, might come to something, who knows. Working abroad is never wasted.

House is quieter and toastier already. Sitting here in a short sleeved Tee Shirt and warm and snug.

Sent DS3 & 4 off to bed with hot water bottles, so they should stay in their own beds now. Properly autumnal weather this morning. Loving the change of seasons.

Have a great evening.
    NSTurtle # 55 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢🐢🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 No Turtle gets left behind.[/b]
  • I love autumn. Crispy mornings, beautiful colours and gorgeous sun, when it does shine.
    I do not like the fact it takes us an age to walk anywhere now as small has to pick up every.single.leaf.
    Outstanding mortgage: £23,181 (December 19)
    MFW 2020 Challenge Member #10 0/£2318
  • f0xh0les
    Leaves are most important! Have you seen the leaf bowls you can make with a balloon and pva glue? They are amazing!! Have a google

Sitting here with my candles blazing, Mr F0x just wandered in and said 'ooh it's nice and warm in here. Is the heating on?' Nope just 9 tea lights in a long stand I got from a charity shop for £2.50 while he was away. No heating needed.

Took a totally useless annoying door off its hinges this morning. It is now residing in the yard. It is one of those horrible 1970s frosted glass creations with a big crack down the entire length, so not safety glass either.

I know there was once a building reg that said you could not have a bathroom directly off the kitchen, so there had to be a meter of space between the bathroom and the kitchen, usually where they stuck the back door. Y'know where I mean? That is why it is there. But really it is just wasted space. So I have taken it away, and will make a door curtain for the back door, and not have a stupid glass door intruding into my tiny cooking space.

Suddenly the room is actually working, it is easier to work in, and you don't find yourself pushing the stupid thing open and closed, wherever you were working it was just... in... the.... way!!! well not anymore. Gone.

The bonus is I can't close the door on the pile of laundry next to the washer, so I did it all and bunged it on the line. Bonus!

Hamsters cages all cleaned out and new chewy sticks for them. They were most ungrateful. They think I am the poo stealer. They whisper about me.

Mr F0x did not snore last night. He has had a terrible cold for a fortnight that he was keeping at bay with Lems1p every 4 hours. Hopefully this means it is going away as I told him last night if he snored I would be found on the sofa, and not to be offended. I might have just been so comatose I slept through it though. Tonight will tell.

Tomorrow will be a trip to the gym, a baking session, a scrumping session, a trip to the park with DS 3 & 4 and a million other bits and bobs on the list.
  • f0xh0les
    Didn't make it to the gym.

I should be take out and shot for crimes against scones. They were truly awful. Dreadful. Did not rise at all. More like a miniature shotput. I think I must have forgotten to use any baking powder - I was using up plain flour, I remembered for the chocolate cake and that was fine so I can't even blame it on the flour being cheap and nasty.

Had a lovely hour and a half with DS3 and 4 in the local country park, they played together and with other kids and scrumped apples in the community orchard and then came home, had lunch and did their homework without snot or tears. No tantrums, no drama, just sat down and did it. Maybe they are finally getting the message. It has to be done, so just do it.

Mr F0x did not snore much last night either. Huzzah!

All food from stores and no extra curricular spending. DS3 tried it on while we were out, country park has a cafe, but I deliberately left my bag at home and so no way to buy anything. But they got an Eve's pudding out of it, they have an iced chocolate cake with tayberry filling for tomorrow, and will probably end up with a crumble by end of play (bedtime) as well. They won't starve. I don't feel bad about it.

Granola made and in a jar in the pantry.
    They want porridge for breakfast now the mornings are darker so that should be a saving on the cereal front. Unless I have to take out a bank loan to keep them in golden syrup.

Another weekend over, but this one was quite a nice one.

Will see what the new week brings.
  • Someone , many years ago gave me the following information about scone making.
    Once you have the dough mixed together take out and pat into a shape with your hands. Roll out minimally and I mean minimally. If possible do not use rolling pin just hands. Once you have cut out a scone or two re shape the dough the same way. This keeps all the air in the mixture and your scones will be big and light.
    Give it a try, it does work.
  • f0xh0les
    Thanks, I make scones nearly every week and for the first time in years it simply didn't work.

Today was a spendy day. DS 3 & 4 asked for fluffy blankets like their big brothers had (the last house was cold in their bedrooms so they got fluffy throws) and Mr Ald1 had some nice ones for £7.99. So this morning after dropping them at school I went off and bought a dark blue one and a duck egg one, then went to the gym, 20km on the bike (500cals) and came home for a nice hot bath. Of course the phone rang as soon as I got in, so had to hop out just in case it was one of the schools.

It wasn't, step-gran just wanted to witter on for a bit, she is to be without electricity between 11 - 8pm tomorrow. So wanted to chat about how much water she should have in a thermos, how many thermos' she should fill, to make sure she had a battery lamp and a torch, what she was going to have for her supper. It is a long time for her to be without power, but needs must. Hopefully the power will come on long before that. She will be bored out of her brain by lunchtime.

Tomorrow will be spendy too, I need some fizzy caterpillars (Colins) from M&S for DS2s birthday cake. He wants a mud pie. So, a choc biscuit base, chocolate ganache middle, 'soil' from blitzed oreos and marshmallow mushrooms and worms (colin). It is disgusting, a proper mudslide mess but the kids love a mudcake and as he is going to be 13 I assume he will grow up at some point.

DS1 does not like chocolate, so I will have to have another Eve's pudding or something up my sleeve or he will sulk. Even though it is not his birthday.
    Anyway, DS3 decided to give me his ransom demand birthday list, finally, this morning (his birthday is on Wednesday) and he wants a replacement 3DS for his broken one. So I am off to all the robbers's shops for a second hand console and a few bits and bobs. With not having family in the country, his grandparents tend to send money, and his great-aunt sends money, and my step- gran always sends him £20-£30, so he ends up with masses of money plus whatever I get him, and he can easily finish the day with £100+ as well as whatever it was he actually wanted. I have to be really careful or he will be properly spoilt, and the more money he has to wave about, the worse his behaviour becomes. On the plus side, there are two games coming out soon he really wants, so he should hopefully not spend it all on pringles and doritos, and will save it or pre-order the games.
    He also wants to go to P1zza 3xpre55. I only have £4 of Tesco vouchers I can boost, so I think it is going to have to be on the credit card, as I am getting a refund of £135 in the next week or so, and I don't want to be sitting on a large credit that I can't touch.

Right, off to put kids to bed.
  • 4 days and I've read your entire diary!!!! So readable!

I'm in awe at how much you get done! Must try harder ��

Xxxx
    Started my MFW journey in August 14 : £103,650
    2019 : £77,900
  • greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,119 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Some progress here.... greenhouse base is in (must reply to him and pay for it) and electrician arrives tomorrow to sort out the internet/phone cabling. It's all going to be surface-mounted for the moment as the ground floor will be taken apart at some point so no point in making more mess than necessary... but first discussion tomorrow will be about where he is going to make mess, what I need to move, and where I need to put down dust sheets. Worst of it should be tomorrow, when handily I'm out for the day and therefore don't need internet access. The rest will be on Thursday when I have a half day to try to get it all up and running again!

Then I have to chase the builder who has left the snagging half done and remind him that he needs to do that and price up the flooring before i'll even consider packing up ready for him to start in October.

I guess at least the longer I wait the more money I've saved...
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback