Electric cars

Options

Comments

• silverwhistle
    silverwhistle Posts: 3,791 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    AdrianC wrote: »
    And that's what makes trunk route HGVs totally the wrong end to start from, even ignoring the massive differences between the US and European markets.

Hurrah, we agree on some things! Thanks for your long reply.
    But they make nice headlines for St Elon, continuing to sucker the fanbois.

But then you had to go and spoil it! I don't think you appreciate it how you come over with your style of posting.

My old company had electric jointers' vans years ago, as they didn't do much mileage. They still kept the solderer's gas ring even when they moved to cold jointing techniques, as not everything modern is better for staff welfare. :-)

But those were really trial vehicles and the technology has come on so much since then. I really think we're at a tipping point.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    Options
    I really think we're at a tipping point.
    So do I.

But denial of the very real drawbacks, and denial of the reality in favour of being suckered in by glossy marketing of the future from a snake-oil salesman...? That helps nobody.
  • Martyn1981
    Martyn1981 Posts: 14,764 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    For anyone interested, this you-tube item has footage of a Tesla semi on the highway. It's worth a quick peak at the 2:15 mark to see just how short the cabover truck actually is, (similar to Euro cabovers) and how much of the truck side is actually the rear fairings for aerodynamics.

Dual Motor Tesla Model 3 Spotted
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW). Two A2A units for cleaner heating.

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • almillar
    almillar Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    a snake-oil salesman...

That would suggest that there's no such thing as Tesla cars, rockets, battery plants etc.
    Over promising sometimes doesn't make a snake oil salesman.
  • Herzlos
    Herzlos Posts: 14,688 Forumite
    Options
    AdrianC wrote: »
    But denial of the very real drawbacks.

I haven't seen any denial of drawbacks - lots of comments on how they aren't actually that bad or are being worked around.

EV's have plenty of serious drawbacks (I can list a few not mentioned already), and aren't suitable for prime-time for everyone yet. The drawbacks are being worked on via either improved technology in the vehicles and improved support infrastructure.

Most of the drawbacks will be lessened in effect with every generation of vehicle until the number of people they don't suit hits a minimum point. For those handful of people, they can stick to ICE, and take advantage of the fact that demand for oil (and thus how long the supply will remain) will be vastly reduced.

I'm pretty confident that in my lifetime (and possibly by the time my kids learn to drive), internal combustion will be the sole preserve of track days, weekend drives and a few stubborn drivers.
    We'll probably go electric/hybrid in next car, or the one after, once the prices come down for something big enough.
  • Martyn1981
    Martyn1981 Posts: 14,764 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    almillar wrote: »
    That would suggest that there's no such thing as Tesla cars, rockets, battery plants etc.
    Over promising sometimes doesn't make a snake oil salesman.

I've just finished a book on Elon Musk, figured if I'm gonna be labelled a fanboi I might as well learn about him. Very interesting.

But ..... the crucial thing, and for all of his companies, has been the difference between his promises and actual deliveries. A good example related to the development of new kit for space launches, NASA suggested 15yrs, Elon suggested 1yr, and SpaceX delivered in 3yrs, so of course it was reported that Elon missed the promised deadlines. Funny ole world.

Now we have SpaceX winning government contracts away from NASA because the launch savings are so huge, those alone can sometimes pay for the satellite!

When Tesla first suggested they would be a 500,000 car production company by 2020, they were laughed at. Now they are being criticised for not having done it already. :rotfl:
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW). Two A2A units for cleaner heating.

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • RichardD1970
    RichardD1970 Posts: 3,795 Forumite
    Options
    Jag i-Pace launch today, (up to) 298 miles range.

https://www.jaguar.co.uk/jaguar-range/i-pace/index.html
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Jag i-Pace launch today, (up to) 298 miles range.

https://www.jaguar.co.uk/jaguar-range/i-pace/index.html

Nice.

Too pricey for me though... and you still can't tow with it.
  • zeupater
    zeupater Posts: 5,355 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Nice.

Too pricey for me though... and you still can't tow with it.
    Hi

Apparently that's because of nothing other than the effect on range and nothing to do with a physical inability to tow or any other technical reason ... according to Jaguar's Director of Design (Ian Callum) that is, so I expect he'd have a better clue than most! ... :)

HTH
    Z
    "We are what we repeatedly do, excellence then is not an act, but a habit. " ...... Aristotle
    B)
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 1 March 2018 at 9:23PM
    Options
    zeupater wrote: »
    Hi

Apparently that's because of nothing other than the effect on range and nothing to do with a physical inability to tow or any other technical reason ... according to Jaguar's Director of Design (Ian Callum) that is, so I expect he'd have a better clue than most! ... :)

HTH
    Z

Yes. I saw his tweet...

tweet.jpg

It looks like towing drastically reduces the range of current EVs...

rnage-tow-750x362.jpg

Source
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport