PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

My home is a mess

Options

Comments

• Cat501
    Cat501 Posts: 1,195 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi Messies - welcome mmummy and Devon-girl thriftwizard! :)

There has been a lovely sound in my kitchen yesterday and today. A washing machine! It's wonderful after 8 months without! Only on my third load, as I don't have a drier yet, but it's great!! Dishes situation not too bad for a change, hall tidy, just living room/DS's room and my room that are total disaster areas!

Hugs to all :) xxx
  • jpscloud
    jpscloud Posts: 1,465 Forumite
    Options
    Cat I didn't realise you'd been living without a washing machine - that was dim of me. My goodness you deserve a medal for that - no wonder you've been feeling low! I managed about two weeks without one once, and that was enough to make me understand how different our lives are from people who lived the real OS first time round. I'm really glad you've got a machine now!

Well I've been playing with my patchwork and made a nice cushion cover out of old t-shirt pieces - it looks really nice and I'll try and take a photo when I can. I just need to finish making it into a cushion cover now.
    I believe in the freedom of spinach and the right to arm bears.

Weight loss journey started January 2015
    -32lbs
  • kittywight
    kittywight Posts: 590 Forumite
    edited 18 February 2012 at 5:19PM
    Options
    hello everyone!!

im so sorry i havent been on :) youll never guess what my house is sparkling

had a mamoth 8 hour cleaning spree yesterday :)

livinroom:
    organised rubbish and threw away
    tidied livingroom
    hoovered livingroom
    sorted out all the junk behind the sofa and put it in bin or into proper places
    moved the clothes airers out of here
    sorted the magazine rack
    cleared and cleaned coffee table
    sorted sofa throw out
    cleaned top of fireplace
    cleared a part of the cabinet
    sorted out dvds and music into the rack and boxes

bedroom:
    sorted out more charity shop bags and rubbish,
    wiped down and bleached all damp on wardrobe (yes wardrobe!) the chest , the walls and all of the window
    hoovered
    put clothes on clothes rail, and into the pyjama box,
    lined shoes up on rack
    made bed

bathroom:
    wiped down and bleached bath, sink and toilet :)
    put the smelly bath mats in washing machine
    scraped wax of sink (although i cant seem to get it all off)

kitchen:
    sorted rubbish and threw away
    sweeped floor
    did dishes
    and 3/4 loads of washing and tumbly drying
    put random sauces back in fridge
    and stray tins went back into the food cupboard
    folded all of the clean clothes
    wiped down cooker/washing machine/freezer and all of the drawers/cupboards
    wiped down the surfaces
    wiped down windowsill and put the spongebob cookie holder there :)

ds room:
    made bed
    wiped down and bleached the wall and window
    ds tidied his toys into the boxes

so yeah :) ive done a lot :) place looks nice.... has a visitor last night ... and think hes given me a touch of the lurve bug :heartpuls:kisses2::smileyhea

thats what inspired my mad cleaning spree

having a relaxing day today
    done jacket potato, cheese and beans for me and ds for tea :)
    and ive got one sink of dishes to do and am going to have a bath and a quiet night

:)

welcome to our new member and hugs for all needing them :)

xx

p.s oh- and also yesterday i went to the job centre and a few shops with ds ...

not too bad for someone who didnt get home from the pub until 4am :D had to leave at 8 for the jobcentre:T
  • jpscloud
    Options
    Wow kitty! Well done there! You're right, there's nothing like a bit of romance to get you cleaning up the house ;)

-32lbs
  • bearcub
    bearcub Posts: 1,023 Forumite
    Options
    Afternoon messies,

Wow, Kitty! :eek: You put us all to shame, but well done! :T I take it, from the fact that you've mentioned tea, that ds is around somewhere, and not packed away in a box? ;) All the best for the budding romance.

Cat, it must have been very difficult not having a WM, especially with a young male around. It must make you feel abit more in control, and I'm pleased for you.

Emms, your garden sounds wonderful, and much like ours. Lucky you to have a male bullfinch visit. We had some visit for a couple of winters, but not for the last two years. I know they're not far away, though. It's lovely to hear your enthusiasm for your job. :):)

Jps, the cushion sounds like a great idea. DD1 gave me an owl (I have a huge collection of owl-related stuff), 2 years ago, made out of a t-shirt. It was made by a student at the uni where she works.

I've spent a couple of hours making up an A4 sized card retirement card. Someone asked me if I could make a Dr Who card for a hospital chaplain who's retiring next month. Great fun, but a bit of a construction job, really. Hopefully, I can start to clear my card-making stash away now.
  • Fruball
    Fruball Posts: 5,739 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 18 February 2012 at 6:23PM
    Options
    jpscloud wrote: »
    Thanks bearcub... yes it has worn me out, I feel a bit crap again now but glad I did it, as it's now drizzling and horrible.

Cat, I bought this house because of the garden... I tried living without one, once... it nearly finished me off. I'm a pathalogical gardener but true to my messy gene, I'm a wildlife gardener, and that's "wildlife" as in "can't be bothered to clear all that scruffy stuff up, hope something makes use of it for a home for the winter", not as in "not a blade of grass out of place"!

I'm yawning for England now.

Hello Messies :wave:

I am back from a lovely holiday where my apartment was nice and tidy! Walked back into this dump and despair at myself.

We have tooooooo much stuff for this little house :cool:

Needless to say, nothing got done yesterday and nothing is likely to get done today :o because I have caught the aircraft virus - I hate that. Everytime we fly, I come back with a nasty cold or something - this time its my sinuses - it feels horrible so I am relaxing in my pit of a living room instead of getting laundry done :D

I am a wildlife gardener too :D I try to make the garden lovely, and it IS lovely to me but it is a messy garden of lots of lovely flowers, a few weeds and too many empty pots that I hoard :rotfl:

Would love to see my garden looking how it does in my head! Going to grow veggies again this year and want to put in a few nut bushes too. I have a cherry tree but the blossom is pitiful and the birds get any cherries before they ripen.

I will try to sort the living room tomorrow but if not, the kids are back to school on Monday and I will do it then. Probably ;)
  • laurel7172
    laurel7172 Posts: 2,071 Forumite
    Options
    :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
    No washing machine!!!! Cat, my landing is disappearing under the laundry backlog because I've had dust sheets over the front of the machine for *two days*. Oh, that must have been so hard...

Yay Kitty....;)...does he have a brother? Probably quite a bit older than he is... ;)

Hope you enjoyed your sewing, jps, the pub, Emm, and hugs to anyone else I've missed-got to collect dd from work.

Second-coated ceilings in kitchen, utility and downstairs loo, and the new kitchen and utility lights are fitted :T. As long as I never cook again, there will be at least one part of my kitchen that's clean.:rotfl:Hacked back the lavender in the front garden-there are about 20 plants-it's a sort of a low hedge...some of them are getting really woody because I always leave the heads on over winter for the finches. I'll be pleased if they regenerate from the butchering I've just given them, but I'm not counting on it.:o
    import this
  • bearcub
    bearcub Posts: 1,023 Forumite
    Options
    Hello Frugal. Where did you go on holiday? Was it somewhere warm? I really dislike flying anyway, but the bugs are just awful, aren't they?

Laurel, are you now able to stand back, and apprecaite the difference the decorating etc is making?
  • jpscloud
    Options
    Welcome home Frugal, that must have been nice to get away from miserable old blighty for a bit even if the weather wasn't scorching.

-32lbs
  • Emm-in-a-pickle
    Options
    Hello again - been to pub with OH (who is now disco-napping), got home & made a fire, took Daftie-dog out for `shufflies` (she doesn`t do `walkies` these days poor old thing. She barked at a couple of lamp-posts as they loomed into her field of vision, then sort of growled under her breath as if to warn them not to follow as we went by...sniffed and grunted at every gatepost there & back, and then pood & piddled as soon as we got back inside our own gate!), also I`ve put a wash on, and am smelling the lump of pork shoulder I stuffed in the oven just before we went out....
    Had a lovely afternoon, it`s getting really cold here now so fire doing nicely, but the lovely thing is it`s gone 5pm and still light! Definite feel-good factor, and that`s NOT cos I`ve just rolled in from the pub!
    DS`s mate has just turned up, probably smelled the pork roasting - well, it`s HUGE (3.7Kilos -£9.25, so couldn`t leave it there!) so will do them pork & stuffing sarnies later, have bread that needs using and they aren`t into veg! Got some cold steaqmed baby potatoes, red & green peppers & courgettes & mushrooms to use up, so will do a sort of veggie-bake with them when I take the pork out of oven soon.
    I`m just enjoying a cup of tea, and catching up on Iplayer with the Archers!

Kitty- well done you! Eight hours is a full normal working day, (mine are normally 13 & a half) and at work we all just HAVE to keep at it - the work gets done and we mostly get on and just DO it, motivated or not, tired or not. At home it`s so different because we have the option to STOP, get distracted, etc...
    Anyway, well done you, and all FlyMessies who have been busy doing stuff.
    Cat - you`ve been a hero managing without a WM, Bless you, I remember times without one, it was grim! And when DD`s WM was out of action, that was grim too! Enjoy your laundrying hun, but don`t over-fill the thing in your eagerness, it`s easy to get carried away! I don`t have a `tumbly-drier` either,
    never bothered with one so never missed it.

Adela - thanks for the PM, that was really sweet. Hope you enjoyed your day too.

Re gardens again - we`ve watched the `Bees, Butterflies & Blooms` progs on Beeb I-player. Just feeling a bit inspired but thinking that merely having a wild messy garden is not enough, so thinking of getting a bit more pro-active out there and actually PLANTING nectar-rich plants, `weeds` is such a silly word, IMO!
    I`m not a gardener, nor are the menfolk, and time is another issue...takes me all my time to just keep up (or not!) with the indoors, plus work, but the idea of `selective weed-growing` appeals to all of us, so I might just get some help!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure