Leaving BT early

Options
I've decided to get shut of BT, and make a switch to EE for my broadband and landline.

I was just wondering how this all works? Anyone gone through this before?

EE are paying me £100 towards switching, but that goes through as credit on my EE account, and I've figured out it's going to cost me around £150 to leave BT. Do I have to pay this all at once, or can I pay it over a few months?

And that £100 that EE are going to credit me with, can that be used to pay the upfront line rental?
October 2014 challenge: £111.44/310
November 2014 challenge: £106.62/300
Missing December out - see you all in January

Comments

• macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    No, your BT bill will become due at the time of final billing.
    But I'm curious as to why you would leave the UK's second worst provider for the UK's very worst provider-and lose £50 in an ETC to do so?
    I hope you got that offer of a £100 golden hello in writing, because these deals have a habit of disappearing into thin air once you have been contracted?
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Options
    Can't anyone leave BT just now without penalty because of the recently announced price increases?
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    When I joined Sky, I had a £50 credit, but could not use this to pay for line rental saver, as the latter was paid on 'sign up' and the credit was to be added a few days later.
  • Insomniscene
    Options
    Yeah, I've just checked and thats the case.

Also I can just leave BT due to the recent price hike - although I need to wait for them to "personally inform" me.

Thanks for the help.
    October 2014 challenge: £111.44/310
    November 2014 challenge: £106.62/300
    Missing December out - see you all in January
  • pennybichon
    Options
    I have recently paid BT 1 years line rent upfront but fancy Martins Sky deal on Friday does anyone think I could get some of this back?
  • cajef
    cajef Posts: 6,266 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 3 September 2014 at 4:37PM
    Options
    I have recently paid BT 1 years line rent upfront but fancy Martins Sky deal on Friday does anyone think I could get some of this back?

Deleted as updated by Quentin.
  • Quentin
    edited 3 September 2014 at 4:33PM
    Options
    You can safely ignore what the ts and cs say about it not being refunded.

As long as you are affected by the price increases you can leave without penalty and that includes not forfeiting advance line rental
  • pennybichon
    Options
    Thanks Quentin I hope you are right but having paid upfront bt are presumably not putting my line rental up until next year will I be on thin ice here?
  • Pincher
    Pincher Posts: 6,552 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Spoke to BT on 150, and I am not affected by the price rise, because I paid Line Rental Saver in advance till April 2015.
    I CAN leave, but they will not refund the line rental.

The 40GB limit on Infinity doesn't change, I simply start paying £18 a month normal price when the contract ends, which is not considered a price rise.

No excuses to leave early penalty free.
  • Quentin
    Options
    Thanks Quentin I hope you are right but having paid upfront bt are presumably not putting my line rental up until next year will I be on thin ice here?
    Nevertheless you face an increase.

Be firm with them! They will try to put you off. Escalate to the CEO's office if you have any issues.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure