Unlock your ZTE 627 Mobile Broadband Dongle (the free one from MicroP) for FREE!

Options

Comments

• comdw
    comdw Posts: 245 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Someone mentioned that when you run the unlocker you lose the original (3Connect) software that was included on the dongle. What wasn't mentioned is that this also means you lose the drivers (don't believe they are on the dongle at all after the re-flash). If you want to install the dongle on another PC you need to get hold of the 3Connect software or some standalone drivers (someone already posted a link to the former which should have that).

Now my question: the Telstra connection manager will not run on my PC - I get access violation exceptions when I try to run it. Are there any alternative 3G connection managers out there that will work. I can still connect to 3's network using standard windows dial-up connection dialling *99***1#, but I've no idea how I can set the apn and other settings from here??
  • alanwsg
    alanwsg Posts: 765 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    comdw wrote: »
    What wasn't mentioned is that this also means you lose the drivers (don't believe they are on the dongle at all after the re-flash). If you want to install the dongle on another PC you need to get hold of the 3Connect software or some standalone drivers
    That's not true. I unlocked the dongle as described here and then tried it on another laptop (Running XP/SP3) for the first time. It installed all it's drivers as normal.
    What it did not do is install a connection manager: you need the telstra one out of the unlock .rar file (Or some other one you may have).
  • comdw
    Options
    alanwsg wrote: »
    That's not true. I unlocked the dongle as described here and then tried it on another laptop (Running XP/SP3) for the first time. It installed all it's drivers as normal.
    What it did not do is install a connection manager: you need the telstra one out of the unlock .rar file (Or some other one you may have).

Thats strange because I'm pretty sure there are no drivers on the dongle itself once you have flashed it. Are you sure it showed up as a modem before you ran the 3Connect installer (assuming you were using that)?

Or it could be that the re-flashed version of the dongle is recognised by XP SP3 and the drivers are already part of windows, but this certainly wasn't the case on my EEEPC.

By the way I found out a way of setting APN and other settings manually on the modem if you don't want to/can't use the Connection Manager. Its a bit fiddly mind:
    http://www.infoferenda.eu/index.php?option=com_fireboard&func=view&id=87&catid=1&Itemid=7
  • alanwsg
    alanwsg Posts: 765 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I don't think the 3Connect installer was involved.
    I just plugged in the unlocked dongle and XP did all the "bing-bong-new h/w found-bong-bing-blah-blah-installing-blah-your new h/w is ready to use" stuff.
    Then I installed the Telstra thingy, setup the parameters inside that and it worked.
  • comdw
    Options
    alanwsg wrote: »
    I don't think the 3Connect installer was involved.
    I just plugged in the unlocked dongle and XP did all the "bing-bong-new h/w found-bong-bing-blah-blah-installing-blah-your new h/w is ready to use" stuff.
    Then I installed the Telstra thingy, setup the parameters inside that and it worked.

Must have just been that the drivers available in your windows version. In mine it pops up with the "found new hardware" wizard which can't find the drivers.
  • caz567
    caz567 Posts: 27 Forumite
    Options
    I've been using the free 3 dongle both on 3 sim (when available) and my T-mobile phone sim when I've not been able to get on 3 for the past few weeks.

My iPhone 02 PAYG sim has now arrived, I rang up the 0845 number and put £10 credit on it, and within 24 hours I should be able to use the credit for 12 months... but 24 hours has passed and I can't connect.

When the dongle is inserted I can see that it can pick up GPRS as the graph is showing on three bars, it also recognises that it's an O2 sim on the Telstra manager. However when I try to connect it just shows "connecting" for a long time and eventually times out and says "The remote computer did not respond. For further assistance, click More info or search Help and Support Center for this error number". If anyone knows what I need to do to get this working I'll be really grateful. I've tried changing the APN and deleting and adding usernames and IP addresses, but nothing works :-(

The other strange thing is that I've had a text delivered to the sim but I can't retrieve it!

Any help gratefully received!
    Thanks
    Carol
  • d123
    d123 Posts: 8,624 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    caz567 wrote: »

My iPhone 02 PAYG sim has now arrived, I rang up the 0845 number and put £10 credit on it, and within 24 hours I should be able to use the credit for 12 months... but 24 hours has passed and I can't connect.

The other strange thing is that I've had a text delivered to the sim but I can't retrieve it!

Any help gratefully received!
    Thanks
    Carol

You will get a text from o2 when the web/wifi bolt on is activated. I think mine took a little longer than 24 hours to activate.

The sim is supposed to be used in an iPhone and so you will probably need to put the sim into a phone to get the text messages.
    ====
  • caz567
    caz567 Posts: 27 Forumite
    Options
    d123 wrote: »
    You will get a text from o2 when the web/wifi bolt on is activated. I think mine took a little longer than 24 hours to activate.

The sim is supposed to be used in an iPhone and so you will probably need to put the sim into a phone to get the text messages.

Thanks for your reply. Soon after I posted I realised I could retrieve my texts from o2 by clicking on the SMS icon when the dongle wasn't trying to connect (as soon as I tried to connect the icon was greyed out)

Once I got into the SMS, I found that I had actually received about 6 texts from o2! One of them confirmed that the web/wifi bolt on was activated. So I don't think that that's the problem.

It would be really useful to know all the settings that you used, if you don't want to post them on here, could you PM me?

Many thanks
    Carol
  • d123
    d123 Posts: 8,624 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I sent you a PM, but the details are pretty easy
    APN is "payandgo.o2.co.uk"
    User is "payandgo"
    password is "password"

Tested and working in my ZTE dongle with the Turbo Connection Manager.
    ====
  • Hustle
    Hustle Posts: 59 Forumite
    Options
    The 50p a day, £2.50 per week, £5 per month is 'fair use', and so limited in terms of bandwidth, and is not avaliable with the sim that came with the modem.

If anyone wants to know what fair use is, its could be around 2 to 5 Gb a month, or much much less. How longs a piece of string.

Just don't register a credit card. This would automatically allow them to bill you if you start to exceed the arbitrary 'fair use' limit.

The only way to get the above is to buy a topup in a shop, put the simcard in a compatible phone (my voda n96 was unlocked) and topup, once it has been confirmed as on the account, plug the sim back into the dongle and then select 'add addon' in my3.

3 know I use a dongle (through account settings), I'm currently paying £5 pcm, and on my £5 deliv free dongle now

It is recommended you search ebay for the sims which let you do the £5 per month deal, no guarantee of any sim that can't be checked allowing this. At least the ebay sellers can check it for you.

BTW
    If you add credit to your account, there is no time delay to use it. If you need internet for a day, just choose the 50p option, and it would charge it to the credit you topped up on your phone. Then what is left over is saved till the next time you need access. So if you need it for 2 days a year, it would cost £1, but you still paid for your topup, so the whole £10 or so is sitting in 3's current account earning them money, but it wont disappear (My My3 account shows my credit has unlimited validity).

Nothing is guaranteed anyway, but even less if 3 get bought (which might actually be amazingly likely shortly, and probably by T-Mobile).

Linux just requires the right drivers, search google for something like 'linux 3g modem'.

do you really think three will be sold off shortly?, are they in debt or something?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure