Cheap Parcel Delivery - official discussion

Options

Comments

• theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    thoatswold wrote: »
    I have just read through the Cheap Parcel Delivery page for help with sending an 8kg package within the UK using drop-off and deliver. While the general advice and links are still valid and helpful, I found that the specific advice is out of date and no longer useful. I found the cheapest deal was DPD via Parcel2Go (£5.89 inc VAT), The second best was UPS via ParcelsPlease (£7.98). The featured company ParcelHero was £8.96 (or £8.25 for first-time users with the 8% MSE discount). Given the difficulty in keeping price information updated, I think it would be more helpful simply to list the companies likely to give best value, with working links, and let the users check them out for ourselves.

If you sold it on eBay you can use Shutl which is UPS 24 hour with £60 compensation for £5.75 for up to 10kg. If you have sold something in the last 90 days you can still use it to reprint a label for the address you now need.
  • europa
    europa Posts: 85 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    As per post #1075, for 5-15kg packages DPD via Parcel2Go is the cheapest at the moment. But myHermes is next cheapest i think.
  • Lara
    Lara Posts: 2,880 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I want to send a parcel weighing just under 3kg preferably with next day delivery and a value of £125.
    I have used MyHermes many times and never had any problem but never for something this expensive.

I’ve looked on Parcel2Go and with extra compensation the cost amounts to £14 postage with either Dpd or UPS. Both places to drop off are a good 30mins drive.

I have never used Collect+ despite it being within walking distance for me.
    Has anyone used them and not had any problems please? Many thanks.
  • mrcol1000
    mrcol1000 Posts: 4,791 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Given the choice I would use DPD. If you give them the recipient's e-mail address and/or phone number, they get a time slot for deliver and can change the delivery date/location if it is more suitable for them.

Collect+ are good but use Yodel who are not so good. If the item is not likely to be broken then you will be okay. If it can be broken and do not package it to survive a nuclear blast then its likely to arrive broken.

I'd also try Parcel Force. If you go direct they offer higher compensation than going through parcel broker and its normally the same price.
  • Lara
    Lara Posts: 2,880 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks mrcol1000. Unfortunately I needed to post first thing this morning. Took out the extra insurance required for cost and plumped for Connect+, next day delivery. Wasn’t totally happy but as I was out for the rest of the day at a funeral I couldn’t get to Dpd as well out of the way of travelling. So fingers crossed but if I had known it was Yodel then I wouldn’t have used. It can’t be broken and is packed really well so shall wait with baited breath tomorrow but shan’t use them again as never liked Yodel. ☹️����

I did have to give an email address and phone number of the recipient to Connect+ as apparently they text and email them to expect the parcel.............
  • wolfy013
    Options
    I'm similarly confused by the prices to Australia. I've just found Parcel2Go are offering £9.99 to Aus, but no mention of this on MSE - does anyone have any experience of using this service, it seems to be cheapest by miles.
  • mizfiesta
    mizfiesta Posts: 480 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi folks, I'm probably asking too much much...but I don't suppose there's some sort of price comparison site to work out who is giving the best deal to post a parcel based on weight, size, location etc etc ?
    "...and in the end, the love you take, is equal to the love you make".
  • theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    mizfiesta wrote: »
    Hi folks, I'm probably asking too much much...but I don't suppose there's some sort of price comparison site to work out who is giving the best deal to post a parcel based on weight, size, location etc etc ?

Not that I know of, purely because it doesn't work as simply as that. There's pick up or collection, destination (mainland or not), exclusions in cover etc etc.

What is the item type, value and size along with weight, destination country/delivery country (inc offshore).
  • martindow
    martindow Posts: 10,218 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    wolfy013 wrote: »
    I'm similarly confused by the prices to Australia. I've just found Parcel2Go are offering £9.99 to Aus, but no mention of this on MSE - does anyone have any experience of using this service, it seems to be cheapest by miles.
    What is the weight and size? Royal Mail will send more cheaply than this for very small items. - starting below £5.
  • MoneyMate
    MoneyMate Posts: 3,225 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Caution using DPD tried to deliver to right number house but wrong road, unable to contact on phone (Only email or text).
    NOT RECOMMENDED AT ALL AFTER LAST FAILURE
    There are more questions than answers :shhh: :silenced:
    WARNING ! May go silent for unfriendly replies
    Please excuse me Spell it MOST times :o
    :)
    :A UK Resident :A
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts