Options

Comments

• DawnW
    DawnW Posts: 7,440 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 13 July 2017 at 8:33AM
    Options
    Morning all :)
    Lots to do today, so I am starting with a good list to make sure I get through all of it!
    General tidy up!
    Peg out washing and do more
    Drs appointment again this morning
    Make potato, spinach and chickpea curry, using HG spinach and potatoes
    Make braised steak for dinner
    Use some HG French beans with dinner and freeze the rest, as we are going away again this weekend :)
    Make a list of what we need to take with us for the weekend, I will need to do a bit of shopping, but am aiming to keep this to a minimum
    Water anything in the garden that needs it
    Dog walk later

There will be more, so I will be back later to update!
  • Lottebear
    Lottebear Posts: 794 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hello All,

This month has resulted in many unbudgeted expenses and has left things tight until the end of the month.

Mostly DD birthday parties and gifts for family birthday and retirement have wiped me out.

I did a large ship yesterday as I had a £12 off coupon, so the fridge, freezer and cupboards are well stocked so I am hoping I can get to the end of the month without another large shop.

Cashed in Survey points for Amazon credit, the plan is to have a cheap Christmas! £25 so worth it.

Relisted the lego cards on ebay, the market has dropped off but there are still people buying.

Day at home so some tidying up and sorting out, there are a couple of bits to list on Ebay

I need to pop to the shops but will stick to the list.
  • PurpleFairy26
    PurpleFairy26 Posts: 3,903 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Dawn can you post the recipe to your curry please,, I was just contemplating to have for tea and I have all those things (and not much else!) sounds lovely.
  • Happy_Kitties
    Happy_Kitties Posts: 1,615 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    purps I was just about to ask the same, whether Dawn could post her curry recipe. DD is vegetarian, but it is a meal both of us would enjoy

katy_ann at least you have recognised what you are doing now, and are trying to do something about it before eating into any more of your savings. It's a shame that they are closing everywhere but see what your local library has to offer. The activities that my DD and niece used to do there were great, and they would have story time and music sessions for the little ones, just needed to get your name down quick but some were open sessions.

I have an awards ceremony I have to attend tonight but I'm not sure what today holds. I fancy doing a tip run, we desperately need to do one but have been waiting for the weather to become nicer
    I also slept in today. Just about to start cat cleaning and I need to do some paperwork.
    Filled the oven while cooking tea last night including braising the turkey steaks. I only caught missing kitty now home going after a steak later while they were cooling down:eek:......that kitty has definately become more feisty and braver:rotfl::rotfl:
    They are all boxed up now. Going to have a late lunch with one and have 3 for meals to go into the freezer.
    FVD I know what you mean about not going out and making small talk. I'm exactly the same, I would much rather be at home with my own company with the cats doing what I want to do. Life is definately way too short. Good luck for your son today

Have a good day everyone x
    Decluttering challenge 2023🏅⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ 
    Decluttering challenge 2024 🏅⭐️
  • FatVonD
    FatVonD Posts: 5,315 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Morning all, hopefully all your good wishes have paid off as DS thinks his interview went well. At the close they said they will be in touch next week about hours which sounds really positive :)

I had a HM strawberry muffin for breakfast and am just on my way into work now (I will make the time up tomorrow.)

Lunch will be soup again and dinner tonight will be spaghetti Bol from the freezer, just need to cook some spaghetti to go with it.

I've watered the veggies and anything else that needed it, I will give everything a good soak tonight.

I need to package and drop off my WBB trade tonight, those little amounts all push me a little further away from the overdraft limit.

DS's smart shirts are all a little tight so I will need to get him a new one, I will put the old ones on the bay of e as they are all Burtons ones and nice quality.

Have a good day all :)
    Make £25 a day in April £0/£750 (March £584, February £602, January £883.66)

December £361.54, November £322.28, October £288.52, September £374.30, August £223.95, July £71.45, June £251.22, May£119.33, April £236.24, March £106.74, Feb £40.99, Jan £98.54) Total for 2017 - £2,495.10
  • DawnW
    DawnW Posts: 7,440 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Potato, chick pea and spinach curry:
    400 g potatoes (new ones are best as they don't disintegrate) cut into chunks
    I bag spinach (or whatever is ready in the garden, in my case), washed and chopped up a bit
    1 medium sized onion or a couple of shallots, sliced
    2 or 3 cloves of garlic, chopped
    I tin chickpeas, drained and rinsed
    I tin chopped tomatoes
    A couple of teaspoons of oil
    2 teaspoons ground cumin (or whole seeds, bashed up a bit)
    1teaspoon ground ginger
    1 teaspoon turmeric
    1 teaspoon chilli powder
    salt and pepper
    Some coriander to scatter if you like

Soften the onion and garlic in the oil over a gentle heat for a few minutes, then add the spices and potatoes and stir to coat the veg. Cook for a few more minutes to toast the spices.
    Add the chopped tomatoes and 200 ml water, cover and cook over a gentle heat till the potatoes are nearly soft. This can take 60 mins or more on a really low heat. The idea is to keep the potatoes in chunks.
    Add the chick peas and cook for another 20-30 minutes, leave the lid off the pan if it looks a bit runny, otherwise leave it on.
    Just before serving, add the spinach and stir till it starts to melt into the sauce. Season to taste. Add chopped coriander to serve, if you like.
    This one is best served in bowls, with a warm naan bread :)
  • Nagme
    Nagme Posts: 377 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 13 July 2017 at 11:30AM
    Options
    Cooking On A Bootstrap, cheap recipes ( Link) -- this link doesn't work for me!

My trusty fitflops are breaking, so I am going to look in the shoe box for a flat shoelace to try and mend the breaking toe thing piece. I've only had them 3 years. Gaffer tape didn't work.

We ran out of carpet machine cleaner and the house is on the market, so I used warm water mixed with vinegar and dishwashing liquid. I sprinkled baking powder on any marks on the carpet. It worked very well! If anyone else tries this I recommend opening windows to stop nasal hairs burning from vinegar fumes.

The washing up bowl is in the sink collecting water for the garden. We have no money to spruce up the garden but a hoe and weed has freshened up the beds.

Not using the car today as it has a drink problem (poor mpg) so I will walk to the shops for cereal for DS.
  • little_pink_purse
    Options
    Morning every one

its been a long hard week I've managed to get man flu grr
    been working then bed starting to feel better

managed to do 2 nsds
    today

Check banking
    bills
    hoover
    bins out
    shopping check shops

chase letting agent been a nightmare I had to tell them the rent was not paid unsure how good they are as a company feel like they get there money for nothing xxx

better get my finger out have a great day xx
    debt total £71k AGE 47 TRY TO BE DEBT FREE BY 50
  • Peabody_2
    Peabody_2 Posts: 276 Forumite
    Options
    Getting back into the MSE way :money:

- Eating out the freezer (honestly had food for 2 whole weeks!) :o
    - Been through the finances, know where I am over spending, where I can cut back.
    - looked at the debts, worked out interest rates and formed plan of attack.
    - Been told by my lovely fianc! he'll love me no matter what :D:o

Right off to get a diary going again!
    Total at 9th Feb 12 - £17,500 :eek: Now - £6,851.05
    Loan - £6022.05, [STRIKE]Card 1 - £3293.85,[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]Card 2 - £2287.04[/STRIKE], Sofa - £825.00
    Wedding Pot - £0.00 :o
  • foxgloves
    foxgloves Posts: 11,118 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Hello Frugalistas,
    On today's Not Spending It list:
    *Made tomorrow's packed lunch & work snacks.
    *Big pile of ironing but only did what needed it & switched iron off for last garment & just used residual heat.
    *No new jeans required. I now fit back properly into a lovely pair which I temporarily outgrew (too much baking!) & am wearing them today.
    *Water & feed veg garden.
    *Pick home-grown french beans for adding to a stir-fry tonight.
    *Bake sourdough loaf. That's in progress. Also remembered to feed jar ready for the next one.
    *Knit more Christmas present.
    *Pick more sweetpeas - pretty & free natural room fragrance.
    *Do meal plans for next week.
    *May go for a walk if the rain holds off......could do with popping by nearest bus stop to jot down bus times as I can never remember them.
    *Started 2 new library books.
    Ok, time to go & see how much that dough has risen. Love to all,
    F x
    "For each of our actions there are only consequences" (James Lovelock)"For in the true nature of things......every green tree is far more glorious than if it were made of gold & silver" (Martin Luther King Jnr)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure