Smart Meters

Options

Comments

• zeupater
    zeupater Posts: 5,355 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    sevenhills wrote: »
    I dont have a problem with reading my meters, I had a smart meter fitted a year ago.
    Hi

Is that reading using the (one off free supply, customer pays replacement at a much higher price than a standard energy monitor when necessary) IHD? .... or the meter itself ?

HTH
    Z
    "We are what we repeatedly do, excellence then is not an act, but a habit. " ...... Aristotle
    B)
  • House_Martin
    House_Martin Posts: 1,462 Forumite
    Options
    zeupater wrote: »
    Hi

Is that reading using the (one off free supply, customer pays replacement at a much higher price than a standard energy monitor when necessary) IHD? .... or the meter itself ?

HTH
    Z
    Badmemory is talking about the Secure Liberty smart meter I guess.
    You need to see one in a poor position in the depths of the larder or stairs cupboard and just try and get a simple 5 digit reading off the damn thing.
    They re an insult to anyone struggling with eyesight or mobility but Eon are nt interested in that, just how much they cost. .£35 ish ! depending on how sterling is doing against the Indian Rupee
  • sevenhills
    sevenhills Posts: 5,902 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You need to see one in a poor position in the depths of the larder or stairs cupboard and just try and get a simple 5 digit reading off the damn thing.
    They re an insult to anyone struggling with eyesight or mobility but Eon are nt interested in that, just how much they cost. .£35 ish ! depending on how sterling is doing against the Indian Rupee

I took the readings from the meters themselves; they are low to the floor. I have to get almost on my stomach, just the same as the old meters, but its a very simple thing for me to do.
  • zeupater
    Options
    Hi

I don't really follow exactly how that applies to the question being asked of 'sevenhills', which referred to how the meter was being read without 'problem', on the IHD, or the meter itself ?

It may be the case that reading the meter is currently easy because the IHD is being used, in which case it may not always be so easy (during the whole lifespan of the smart-meter) due to loss of access to a registered IHD unit & not wanting to pay for the privilege of having the supplier provide & configure an expensive replacement unit, possibly multiple times within a single meter's lifespan! ...

HTH
    Z
    "We are what we repeatedly do, excellence then is not an act, but a habit. " ...... Aristotle
    B)
  • zeupater
    Options
    sevenhills wrote: »
    I took the readings from the meters themselves; they are low to the floor. I have to get almost on my stomach, just the same as the old meters, but its a very simple thing for me to do.
    Hi

If you have smart-meters why are you reading them manually? ... even if you have changed suppliers & the comms don't work, shouldn't you have an IHD which allows remote readings to be taken without lying on your stomach to take a reading ? ... :idea:

HTH
    Z
    B)
  • badmemory
    badmemory Posts: 7,835 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 17 March 2018 at 1:53AM
    Options
    Many IHDs don't seem to give the gas meter reading though, just the Kwhs usage, which is about as much use as a chocolate fireguard to an energy supplier. Also many (most?) IHDs cease working when you change suppliers. They only seem to work for the guaranteed year too, which must be a major pain if you have come to rely on it. Then you would need to buy your own replacement.
  • Nick_C
    Nick_C Posts: 7,459 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    I got an Ovo smart meter less than six months ago. The IHD doesn't show the meter readings. But it's now in its box in a cupboard anyway.
  • pineapple
    pineapple Posts: 6,931 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Nick_C wrote: »
    I got an Ovo smart meter less than six months ago. The IHD doesn't show the meter readings. But it's now in its box in a cupboard anyway.
    Isn't one of the selling points of smart meters that it is easier to monitor your usage? :think:
  • Nick_C
    Nick_C Posts: 7,459 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    pineapple wrote: »
    Isn't one of the selling points of smart meters that it is easier to monitor your usage? :think:

The IHD does show usage - in KWh. It doesn't show meter readings though.

The Ovo app is good for showing usage.

Unless your are completely clueless about how much power your appliances use, I don't think a smart meter is going to save you any money. But the "gaz and leccy" adverts seem to be aimed at chavs, and maybe they will benefit.

I do like the convenience of accurate monthly statements though, and I am able to monitor my consumption better than before.
  • HMJB
    HMJB Posts: 1 Newbie
    Options
    Don't get a smart meter! According to our smart meter our electricity usage increased fourfold over night after getting one installed by British Gas.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback