outside stopcock issue

Options
khal327
khal327 Posts: 682 Forumite
Just wondering if someone can help me. I have just moved in to a house and i remember them saying that the stopcock tap indoors had seized up but there is one outside which can be used to turn the water off. I have located it but there is no tap near the meter. There is a hexagon shape hole with a screw in it. Just wondering if this is it and if so does anyone know how to operate it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• deanos
    deanos Posts: 11,223 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Uniform Washer
    Options
    you should have a plastic key to turn it off , fits in the hexagon shape might be in bottom of chamber

if you dont you can use a screwdriver as long as it fits the hole, or ask the water company to send a key out

th_water004.jpg
  • khal327
    Options
    deanos wrote: »
    you should have a plastic key to turn it off , fits in the hexagon shape might be in bottom of chamber

if you dont you can use a screwdriver as long as it fits the hole, or ask the water company to send a key out

th_water004.jpg

Thanks so much, i don't have a key for it. I suppose the universal ones at b&q wont work then. Also do you know if the water company charges you for the key.
    I wonder if some pliers do it. So am i right in saying its the hexagon part that i need to adjust , not the screw inside. Sorry for so many questions.
  • khal327
    Options
    All sorted i actually found the key part right at the bottom, had to use a torch and it was under some rubble. I had already called my water company and they did say they can provide it free of charge and would come out same day but cancelled it in the end. Just thought i would add this if anyone has the same problem as me. Thank for all your help.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure