Go Compare's Insurance feedback

Options

Comments

• Money_Saving_Dude
    Options
    FWIW, here is how I use all these comparison websites (and the Internet in general, come to that).

First off, I *always* start from this site. Never mind "simples, because it is only a fur wound" -- because of the links to many comparison websites, this site is the best single point of contact to them all.

Then, when completing the pages *never* put any information in that can identify you. My initial aim is to get a ballpark figure, and to do that you don't need to expose all your personal details.

When looking for car insurance you can describe the car's make, model and year without giving registration details (just tick car not yet bought). When looking for home insurance again you can put in details that give an equivalent description of your home, without identifying it. So when it asks for a postcode nip to maps.google.co.uk, enter your post code: AB1 2CD, and then enter alternatives that are near (so AB1 2CC will be near). Use that, and they won't know where you live, but the insurance quote will be very similar to what you really want.

My name is normally Mr An Other; my DoB is normally 01/01/1970 (I wish I was that young!), and all other details will not normally uniquely identify me.

Only once you are happy with the quote you have got can you either go back to the comparison site and enter your proper data, or -- probably better -- go directly to the lowest two providers and get them to fight it out for your business.

A note about email addresses. I *never* give them my normal email address, until I know I have the provider I need. Up to that point do a search for "temporary email" -- easy if you use Firefox, no idea how easy it is with IE as I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole (and anyway I use Linux, so it won't work! :-). Then choose one of the temporary email providers (eg 10minutemail.com) to give you an email address you can use.

If you are still nervous about what the comparison sites have on you go to your browser's cookie settings and delete all cookies relating to the comparison sites you have used. That way, the next time you go to them they won't pick up that it was you who was there last time (yes, they will have your IP address, but it could have been dished out to another BT user or whoever your ISP is -- they don't know that).

Anyway, for what it's worth this is my guide to keeping your data safe.

Hope it helps.

Money Saving Dude.
  • paulh2008
    Options
    Huh! Just entered all my personal info into Go Compare ... and waited ... and waited ... and waited ... and 45 minutes later it is still searching. Useless, and no doubt I will soon be flooded with spam.
  • bibbz
    Options
    fimonkey wrote: »
    I'm having trouble with all the sites at the moment. My vehicle is a vauxhall combo van registered 1997. No site is recognising vauxhall combo's from pre 2000 and if I put the registration number in it comes up as a 5 door corsa! ... Had no trouble using these sites last year however... Any ideas?
    Your Van is probably an imported model and was re-registered by DVLA. I would give them a call and they should tell you what steps to take
  • Go Compare does not recognise the existance of Toyota Hilux double cabs. I've driving one for 12 years and always get this problem.
  • JayTee2005
    Options
    Am I the only one to get irritated with these sites? Even after filling all the details they ask for, including my chosen level of Voluntary Excess, the "cheapest" quote they come up with uses a much higher level of excess. Do they think I'm dumb? All that happens is they lose the business. Who's dumb now?
  • bb2
    bb2 Posts: 17 Forumite
    Options
    Quote details on moneysupermarket.com easier to complete than on gocompare.com therefore process quicker. Cheapest quote for me from this site was £448 (Privilege), however; cheapest quote on gocompare was £390 (RAC) - but the star quote was from direct insurer Aviva - at £264, a full £126 cheaper than RAC, the keenest competitor. Aviva also advertise 15% discount on multi-car policies and automatic discounts on other insurances for the same household. We'll certainly try them first next time!:T
  • pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,393 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 12 December 2011 at 11:26PM
    Options
    Just tried moneysupermarket and gocompare!

Gocompare prices started at twice those on moneysupermarket.

This was given as down to value of car - we took that figure from moneysupermarket's price.

EDIT: I declared a no-fault, no cost to my insurance company on both sites. However, the gocompare site required me to input a cost.

Maybe that caused the hughe difference. stupid - it cost my company nothing.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • detroy
    detroy Posts: 21 Forumite
    Options
    have just used moneysupermarket first then go compare but quotes on go compare higher eg churchill £121 moneysupermarket and £162 on go compare?:(
  • tryingtoretire
    Options
    I used GoCompare for a car quote. The RIAS quote was £680 but on their own website the quote was £490. All the details were identical, even the excess amounts. Someone's making a fortune out of these comparison websites. My lesson would be to take the quote you like off a comparison website and then go direct to Insurance Co. website.
  • LLGBargainhunter
    Options
    May seem a small thing, but when entering details to get a car ins quote on the Go Compare site, the only options under "Employment" are FT or under 16hrs pw, and my PT job doesn't fit into either. Concerned that any insurer could quibble over this info later if I had to make a claim. No free text box there either to explain any variations.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure