Worth upgrading from xbox 360 to xbox one yet?

Options
My son has started suggesting an xbox One for Christmas. I'm not keen as I think they are still pretty pricey and the games are expensive as well. Plus he has an xbox 360 and plenty of games for it - and most of his friends have the 360 as well.

However, I am not a gamer and could do with a more objective viewpoint. Is it worth getting the xbox one at the moment or would we be better to wait until his birthday next year perhaps?
"Harry, I'm going to let you in on a little secret. Every day, once a day, give yourself a present. Don't plan it. Don't wait for it. Just let it happen. It could be a new shirt at the men's store, a catnap in your office chair, or two cups of good, hot black coffee."

Comments

• Marvel1
    Marvel1 Posts: 7,172 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    There are not many games out there that are exclusive for the Xbox One/PS4 as there are games coming out for 360/PS3 (for me anyway).

I plan on moving June 2nd for Arkham Knight.
  • bluenoseam
    bluenoseam Posts: 4,612 Forumite
    Options
    The simplest way to decide that is to ask other parents - if the rest of them are going to upgrade now then it's worthwhile, if not then there's still a bit of legroom to play with 360.

Last thing you want is your Son to be the billy no mates playing one while everyone else is playing the other!
    Retired member - fed up with the general tone of the place.
  • captainhindsight_2
    Options
    I bought the xbox one the day it came out, it is great!

Like you say there is not a huge number of games, it would depend what king of games he plays.

If you let me know, I could give a better recommendation of whether it is worth it or not.

If he just plays something like FIFA prob not worth it, but games like battlefield, titanfall, Need for speed they are so much better on the one.
    "talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish" - Euripides
  • ifstar
    ifstar Posts: 487 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    To take full advantage, then he needs to have a full HD 1080P television to play it on. Personally, I think the xbox one is great and has improved massively over the last year as MS have been doing monthly updates on it. The price of games isn't vastly different between both, especially if he can wait a few weeks.

One major plus is digital game sharing, which would allow him and a friend to share their digital download games between both consoles. You will find out how if you google that but very easy to setup.
  • PenguinJim
    Options
    No, the Xbox One only has a couple of decent racing games as exclusives at present. There are cheaper options for all other new-gen games and the 360->One leap from 720P to 900P isn't particularly great.

As this is MSE, it's also worth considering the long-term costs of paying £30-40 for new games and £30 every year for playing online. There are significant savings to be made by either sticking with the 360 or leapfrogging the Xbox One entirely with a better system today.
    Q: What kind of discussions aren't allowed?
    A: It goes without saying that this site's about MoneySaving.

Q: Why are some Board Guides sometimes unpleasant?
    A: We very much hope this isn't the case. But if it is, please make sure you report this, as you would any other forum user's posts, to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
  • bluenoseam
    bluenoseam Posts: 4,612 Forumite
    Options
    I'm struggling to get this, but saving £30 a year is not going to happen if you stick with 360 as you'll still need to spend that £30 a year to play online surely? You'll save short term with the games (well, some of them!) but ultimately the only saving you'll make will be from the initial cost of the system, which at this point in time is actually fairly reasonable. (Going by the fact if I was to buy one today I'd go with a bundle in Game with FIFA, Forza 5 & GTA for under £350 according to their poster)

Not saying you don't have a point about the money implications, but ultimately you've raised a bit of a non-point with regards to paying to play online. Even if the barb at the end was a precurser to Playstation it wouldn't make any sense as it too holds a subscription cost of £30-40 depending on where you go annually.
    Retired member - fed up with the general tone of the place.
  • PenguinJim
    Options
    I'm sorry, I don't see what's difficult to understand. I suggested being aware of the longer-term costs of console gaming and paying to play online.

I went on to say that there are significant savings to be made by either sticking to 360 (which obviously saves £300+ on new hardware) or moving to a system where you don't pay £30-40 per game and £30 just to play online (which obviously saves money in the long term (and equally obviously cannot be the PS4)).

I'm sorry if it wasn't obvious enough! Although if it doesn't make sense to you that £300 is a saving... could you spare £300, please? I'll put it to good use. :)
    Q: What kind of discussions aren't allowed?
    A: It goes without saying that this site's about MoneySaving.

Q: Why are some Board Guides sometimes unpleasant?
    A: We very much hope this isn't the case. But if it is, please make sure you report this, as you would any other forum user's posts, to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
  • kitty_kins
    Options
    ASDA are doing a Black Friday deal on the Xbox One on Saturday (first come, first served sort of thing). Don't know how much they would be but worth considering :)

http://www.asda.com/blackfriday/index.html?cmpid=emc-ad-_-ahc-_-campaign-_-black_friday2-_-AD00000212#fridayProducts
  • SeduLOUs
    SeduLOUs Posts: 2,171 Forumite
    edited 26 November 2014 at 4:09PM
    Options
    ifstar wrote: »
    One major plus is digital game sharing, which would allow him and a friend to share their digital download games between both consoles. You will find out how if you google that but very easy to setup.

That involves setting your 'home' console as a console that isn't in your home, and is completely against Microsoft's Terms of Service. If found out, both the accounts and the consoles involved could be banned (i.e. accounts losing any digital purchases ever made, and the consoles losing the ability to connect to Xbox Live with ANY gamertag).

The only time this is OK is when both consoles are in the same household (i.e. I 'share' my games with my partner who lives with me).
    PenguinJim wrote: »
    No, the Xbox One only has a couple of decent racing games as exclusives at present.
    Didn't realise that the Halo Collection and Sunset Overdrive were racers ;)
  • szam_
    szam_ Posts: 642 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    SeduLOUs wrote: »
    Didn't realise that the Halo Collection and Sunset Overdrive were racers ;)

Forza 5 and Forza Horizon 2?
    Professional Data Monkey

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family