Small Business Gas & Electricity Discussion Area

Options

Comments

• runmichellerun
    Options
    Hi. Can anyone tell me what a 1,000 sq ft office may cost in terms of bills on an annual basis please? We are taking on new offices with a fixed rent including bills, and I would like to know if we are getting a bargain or being undercharged.
    LBM February 2008. DFD March 2013 19 August 2011
    Debt at LBM £14,395.48. Debt Now £0
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,030 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I fear it's a 'piece of string' question: how many hours are the premises heated for, is there heat generating equipment running within the premises (computers can throw off a fair bit of heat!), will there be doors open all the time, how well insulated are the buildings ... I hope someone might be along who knows how to start guessing!
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • ruby6kids
    Options
    Hi
    a friend has recently taken over a small business and is so confused by the calls she keeps getting from gas and electric companies
    she was contacted by opus energy who have said that she does not have a valid supplier until she agrees a contract with them
    she has been told by the previous owners that they were direct with brit gas, and had supplied bg with closing meter readings plus new owner info.
    could someone please advise in clear terms what the correct system is
    thanks
    :T Thanks to all lovely MSE'rs - you are great friends :T
  • srb_2
    srb_2 Posts: 11 Forumite
    Options
    Savvy_Sue wrote: »
    Welcome.

Can't help much, but I will pass on one tip I was once given - give notice on a contract as soon as you take it out!

I know this is an old post but this method doesn;t necessarily work anymore. Some suppliers have 'windows' for serving termination notice, so if you serve it too early it will be declared null and void.
  • srb_2
    srb_2 Posts: 11 Forumite
    Options
    ruby6kids wrote: »
    Hi
    a friend has recently taken over a small business and is so confused by the calls she keeps getting from gas and electric companies
    she was contacted by opus energy who have said that she does not have a valid supplier until she agrees a contract with them
    she has been told by the previous owners that they were direct with brit gas, and had supplied bg with closing meter readings plus new owner info.
    could someone please advise in clear terms what the correct system is
    thanks

I think the term 'valid supplier' Opus used was very misleading. There would always be a 'registered supplier' which is the energy company that supplies the property as far as the national system recognises. In this case the registered supplier would be British Gas.

However - this does not mean she has a contract with British Gas, and as such BG could charge whatever rates they like until she either a) contracts with them, or b) transfers to another supplier.

I know previous threads have slated consultants, but there are really many good ones out there that can really help and know what to do. Unfortunately it's an industry where the few bad ones taint the market.
  • persianharry
    Options
    Hi

I would like to suggest Switching Business .com (sorry, I can't submit links) to compare business gas and electricity and you can get £15 cashback via Quidco and TopCashBack.
  • Wywth
    Wywth Posts: 5,079 Forumite
    Options
    Hi

I would like to suggest Switching Business .com (sorry, I can't submit links) to compare business gas and electricity and you can get £15 cashback via Quidco and TopCashBack.

I've just tried that site to see if I could obtain an electricity quote.

No matter what parameters I select, I always seem to get the same output
    Sorry, but we could not find any tariffs matching your criteria. Try changing the parameters above, or go back and check that your MPAN number is correct.
    I'm glad I didn't give them my real contact details ... or input our MPAN (it said it was only necessary if I decided I wanted to go ahead with a switch)
  • MrOverheads
    Options
    srb wrote: »
    I know previous threads have slated consultants, but there are really many good ones out there that can really help and know what to do. Unfortunately it's an industry where the few bad ones taint the market.

Being a consultant in this area I wholeheartedly agree. You should ensure that if using a consultant they are members of the UIA (Utilities Intermediarys Association) for a start.
    I'll try and answer people's questions on lot's of threads with no expectation of any business to try and disprove that consultants are bad.
  • ssdmdak
    Options
    I hate how company's call you when you have just quoted. I run a small business and used many comparison websites and only BEO have been one that id recommend, might take a leaf out of their books and start a site up. Found the cheapest supplier and was great to deal with. I will share a link for anyone who can not find them. Facebook . com / Businessenergyonline they will find you the best deals with no hassle. Has anybody found a cheap business phone deals at all because I am struggling? Thank you
  • scoot1on1
    scoot1on1 Posts: 295 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 31 March 2013 at 12:23PM
    Options
    I know there are a lot of bad brokers out there but one we found to be of great help is http://www.fuel4business.co.uk they don't just find a cheaper price they also remind when readings should be given so the business doesn't get overcharged and they also take care of the termination letters etc. so all in all very happy with the service, I know its not for everyone but the peace of mind knowing we are not going to get rolled onto out of contract rates or be overcharged each quarter is worth it.
    These are the Good 'ol Days just wait and see!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback