Avios Points Boosting guide discussion

Options

Comments

• Nick_C
    Nick_C Posts: 7,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    carolW wrote: »
    I have about 190,000 Avios points

Thats a very healthy balance.

If you can get it up to 200,000 then you have enough for two return Club World tickets to NY or Chicago. You must have some friends who would appreciate a couple of business class tickets, and show their appreciation appropriately?
  • steve1500
    steve1500 Posts: 1,438 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 16 January 2018 at 5:00PM
    Options
    £45 of CC points would do the trick.

In case you don't know Avios seats are made available 355 days in advance.

We book our Summer holiday flights soon as they become available
    Private Parking Tickets - Make sure you put your Subject Access Request in after 25th May 2018 - It's free & ask for everything, don't forget the DVLA :D
  • Chalks999
    Options
    Hi,

A quick question re Avios and collecting points by a credit card.

I (like many others) have been informed that Avios is moving across to BA Executive Club.

Are there any other options to collect Avios on credit cards APART from American Express (as in the BA option) ?

I use my Lloyds Mastercard for most of my purchases and this is the main source of how I collect points (as well as Tesco and Shell) but find that American Express is not accepted in many establishments due to their high charges (to the retailer)

Does anyone have any suggestions of another type of credit card I can use which is NOT American Express which allows me to collect Avios ?

many thanks in advance,

Chalks999
  • Nick_C
    edited 13 June 2018 at 10:13AM
    Options
    Not currently, no. Lloyd's had an excellent Amex/MC offer but it's not available to new customers.

I find most retailers accept Amex. Even Aldi now takes it. B&Q don't take Amex, but you can use your Amex to buy B&Q gift cards in Wilko.

Some web sites which don't take Amex take PayPal, and you can use your Amex card that way.

Very rarely do I have to use my mastercard.

Amex have great sign up bonuses. 22000 on the gold card if you spend £2000 in the first three months. PM me if you would like a referral.

And check out https://www.headforpoints.com - the best source of information on collecting Avios.

For online shopping, avios earned through https://www.shopping.ba.com are sometimes worth more than you would get from a cashback site
  • jimarnold_2
    Options
    Once again I suggest you check headforpoints but basically EU rules governing the amount that can be charged has caused change in the market As suggested there an Amex Gold card (free for the first year so pick up the bonus then cancel combined with a free Tesco Mastercard (sign up offer now on) would appear to be the best choice for most people

In particular AMEX has had to reduce its fees to retailers so less to pass on - but i would expect more retailers to start accepting AMEX (its no coincidence that Aldi do now)
  • joshtbh
    joshtbh Posts: 1,410 Forumite
    Options
    hi guys are you all still keen on collecting Avios even with the fact it's changing to BA Exec Club?
  • Nick_C
    Options
    Tesco Wine by the Case looks attractive at 10 Avios to the pound instead of 5, especially if you pay with a Tesco Debit Card. £100 of wine comes with 1313 Avios.
    (100/1.2*10) + (100 * 2 * 2.4)

Others worth mentioning include Holland and Barrett 20/£, Groupon 16/£, AllBeauty.com and ChemistDirect 12/£, Asos 8/£, B&Q 6/£, Argos and John Lewis 4/£

Avios calculated on ex Vat amounts.
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,321 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    carolW wrote: »
    Does anyone know how you can sell points.
    i have many and will not be able to use them for either flights or hotel bookings.
    I know there are companies which offer to buy points but are they legit?

I have bought Avios before now, using Ebay.

It was something like, I needed to add the seller to my household account and then the points were transferred across. Everything worked smoothly, and I was happy to pay his price.
  • dazse10
    Options
    Could anyone let me know if i can buy travel money and collect Avios points ? Wanted to use my amex card but this seems impossible as nobody accepts them. If i used the avios e store and went to John lewis to buy travel money would i still get the 4 avios for £1 spent ?
  • budgetflyer
    budgetflyer Posts: 5,949 Forumite
    Options
    dazse10 wrote: »
    Could anyone let me know if i can buy travel money and collect Avios points ? Wanted to use my amex card but this seems impossible as nobody accepts them. If i used the avios e store and went to John lewis to buy travel money would i still get the 4 avios for £1 spent ?

https://www.headforpoints.com/2018/07/10/earning-avios-miles-ordering-foreign-currency/
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure