PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking A Gammon Joint in the Slow Cooker

Options

Comments

• Ticklemouse
    Ticklemouse Posts: 5,030 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Liz19 wrote:
    How many tins of fruit do you use? or how much apple juice? How long do you cook the gammon for? Do you have to do anything to the gammon before putting it in the slow cooker? I am sorry if these seem like silly questions but I am a bit of a slow cooker novice!:)

Oooh, it's the how long is a piece of string question :D

Last piece of ham I did was 5kg+, so filled even the 6.5L MR slow cooker and I added enough apple juice so it was standing in about 1 - 1 1/2 inches of it. There's always a lot of juice comes out of meat so the level will rise. For an average family sized piece, I would probably use 1 large tin of apricot halves and top up the juice with either water or more apple juice, to about 1 inch. There's nothing stopping you using more fruit - if you want you can skewer the fruit to the meat with cocktail sticks so it doesn't fall off.

Cloves are an aquired taste so use as many as you want. I'm not that keen on them TBH.
  • Ticklemouse
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    ET03 wrote:
    yes me too

always cooked on hob from scratch, but you all seem to love slow cooker so much I treated myself,
    wanted to try gammon as have a few joints in freezer bought cheap after christmas,
    does it stay salty in slow cooker??

I would always soak a ham first. Even a lightly salted one will have quite a lot in, I would think.

Thing about a slow cooker is that as everything is done slowly (obviously :D) and the juices infuse, you often don't need a lot of salt. I'm talking about all sorts of dishes here, not just hams. I have loads of veg and a lamb shoulder in mine and the only salt has come from the tins of tomatoes I have added.
  • Liz19
    Liz19 Posts: 673 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks ticklemouse. Do you rub it with honey as well as putting it in with the tinned fruit or instead of?
  • Ticklemouse
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Liz19 - you can if you want. I personally don't, but try it different ways and see which one you prefer.
  • Liz19
    Liz19 Posts: 673 Forumite
    Options
    Many thanks ticklemouse. I will now give those ideas a try, not all at the same time though :)
  • borgman
    borgman Posts: 188 Forumite
    Options
    can anyone help Mrs Borgman for me , she has just bought a 3.5 litre slow cooker and wants to know if you can use those jars of cooking sauces in them , I think she wants to bung in some chicken and a lemon chicken sauce ???
  • moggins
    moggins Posts: 5,190 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Yes, I wouldn't use them with the big MR one but they're great to use if you're short of time with a smaller cooker, you can just throw in the meat with a jar of sauce and come home to a cooked meal.
    Organised people are just too lazy to look for things

F U Fund currently at £250
  • wayne
    wayne Posts: 317 Forumite
    Options
    hi,just read the thread for cooking joints of meat in the sc.can i do a gammon joint in the same way?
  • Ticklemouse
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Gammon is lovely done in the SC.

I do mine in apple juice,but others add herbs/seasonings of their choice and/or rub the joint with honey. I've used honey before.aslo apricots and their juice go nicely with gammon.

If it needs soaking first, then do as the butcher recommends, or if you are unsure (ie supermarket joint) then soak overnight and change the water a few times. Then I just place the joint in the SC and add about 1 inch or so of chosen liquid and leave it on slow all day, or even overnight. It will depend on how big your joint is.

HTH
    TM
  • Sarahsaver
    Sarahsaver Posts: 8,390 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    It will be lovely, one of my favourites, and the kids;)
    Member no.1 of the 'I'm not in a clique' group :rotfl:
    I have done reading too!
    To avoid all evil, to do good,
    to purify the mind- that is the
    teaching of the Buddhas.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts