I want to stop drowning

Options

Comments

• enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,635 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    debtaghh wrote: »
    Thank you both for replying. Those dump meals sound good! I am going to def get more focused when I get back as I always get annoyed with myself that I set targets to lose weight but never do it, well not this time-it's on my signature so I have to do it!

That is spot on enthusasticsaver, I think my children especially the younger two as I have a typical teenager who thinks money grows on trees will prefer a happy less stessful mummy then materialistic goods.

I will cash the month's money out and make sure I stick to it. I have to or I will be having to start using the credit cards again soon which is not going to happen:eek: The debt has started to very very slowly decrease, it's been hard as we previosuly did money transfers to survive but my cc seemed to have stopped them which is probably a blessing in disguise. Money is going too fast on this trip and mainly on food:mad:

Actually my advice would be to take cash out weekly rather than monthly. That means that if you run out you are not tempted to turn to cards if it is quite early in the month. Psychologically most people find it easy to last a few days without spending much but faced with two or three weeks with no money can break the resolve to avoid using a credit card.

Good that the debt decreasing rather than increasing.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • debtaghh
    debtaghh Posts: 1,794 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Actually my advice would be to take cash out weekly rather than monthly. That means that if you run out you are not tempted to turn to cards if it is quite early in the month. Psychologically most people find it easy to last a few days without spending much but faced with two or three weeks with no money can break the resolve to avoid using a credit card.

Good that the debt decreasing rather than increasing.

Good point, I will cash out every Monday as like you said it will be easier to manage, thanks x
  • debtaghh
    Options
    Today we leave our last trip for this summer. At the beginning of this trip I was feeling down and worried about money but I then decided sod it, I'm on holiday! I have had a lovely time, enjoyed this the most out the three and so did the chn but..... I have spent loads, budget has been non existent. I do have the money but it means moving money from savings that were allocated for something else but I will just have to resave them and fast! I made a small payment to the capital one but every penny helps. This holiday has made me realise that I want to come here again next year and although it's expensive etc as long as it's our one treat of the year and we save for it, that's ok? It also made me think that throughout the year no takeaways, meals out apart from using Tesco points and then when we go away it's a real treat and it doesn't matter if we do splash out. I know some people will disagree especially with the amount of debt we have and the cost of the break but I really like to have things to look forward to , if not my depression gets worse. As long as we still clear debt and save for it I feel that's ok.
  • MrsSave
    MrsSave Posts: 1,817 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    That sounds like a good plan. We've been away each year since starting to pay off our debt, we just make sure we save for it. We use our Tesco vouchers for eating out and days out so are saving money there instead.
    Starting a new debt free journey
    Starting Debt: £5,250
    Current Debt: £4,995.50
    Amount Paid: £254.50 Percentage Paid: 4.84%
    Emergency Fund: £350
  • Aamberle
    Aamberle Posts: 559 Forumite
    Options
    `sounds like you have a plan, and glad you finally managed to relax.
    I agree having something to look forward to definitely helps. Safe trip back and look forward to seeing your plan of action for debt clearing .
    2012 The year I started dealing with my debts.
    2017. Lets start this again shall we?

Debt 1 Cleared 2/1/17 £480 Gone forever :j
    Debt 2 100/598
  • kerron7
    kerron7 Posts: 196 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi, just subscribed :)

I definitely agree you need something to look forward too :)
    Emergency Fund - £50/£500
  • bellevie
    bellevie Posts: 874 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Hiya, I'm glad to read that you are enjoying the final trip :)

If the debt is decreasing month by month, you are already on the right track.

I get the frustration with renting, I rent privately too. I hope that you dont have to move soon. If you do have to, and stick to the same agency fees could you negotiate admin fees?

I think you made the right choice re your car. I stopped getting newer cars in 2010, and the past 6 years have been a mission! It can be done, just need a big dose of luck, which seemed to pass me by!!
    MFW
    Starting debt :£287,410 -11/2020

2022 Closing balance £271,402.45 

2023 closing balance £263140

Original end 11/2045 
    New end date :....... 

Overpayments to date £514.4 (1/24)

• debtaghh
    Options
    Thank you all for replying and I am glad people don't think I'm silly for wanting another holiday next year considering I have debt.

I'm back home and truly depressed already, over the past three weeks I have managed to put on half a stone :eek::mad: I'm so annoyed as it took me so long to lose but yet so easy to gain!

Money is rubbish as have sales been and I got another job rejection for a job that I didn't want but not even an interview!
  • debtaghh
    Options
    Morning,

Well I have woken up accepting the fact that I'm fat and poor and there is no point moaning about it!

Plan of action is:

From today I am on a diet, will aim to stick to 1500 calories per day and 10000 steps but am allowed one " naughty" day per week.

On the money front, I am going to carry on applying for jobs, focus on my business more and be on a tight budget!

Today I need to:

Sort my finances out
    Go to Aldi for my food shop - need to meal plan
    Do at least 2 loads of washing
    Sort the kids uniform out and have it ready for Monday.
    10000 steps and eat no more than 1500 calories!

Think that is the most I can manage as I'm feeling a bit rough today
  • debtaghh
    Options
    I managed 1500 calories and did over 10000 steps yesterday and did all jobs on my list. I had an awful migraine yesterday and it's still slightly there this morning :( I ended up going to Tesco instead as we passed it, I spent £100 which is too much but ok as a one off and did include my son's birthday cake and card plus I hadn't done a proper shop in a month and included lots of fruit and salad for my diet.
    Not planning much today apart from one more load of washing, cook a roast, make packed lunches and get uniform and school bags out ready for tomorrow. Today should be my first nsd for September.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback