The trials & tribulations of a 1st time landlord & investor

Options

Comments

• TallGirl
    TallGirl Posts: 5,552 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Total chill far on my day off need to clean as DG mother is coming tonight so scary but lots of plans so should be a nice time.

Really enjoyed the comedy night yesterday even if Doris messed up e trains I got to see my friend from down South and DG made it in time too. She's got an interview today I would like her to get it but she's only been one year in her previous job so there's no rush to leave. However they extended her probation and didn't bother giving her a new date she's been there a year next month. That's so rubbish.

Need to chill at bit today I feel but also get everything ready. Might not make gym but going for last PT Monday so will miss a week unless we go to new gym which starts tomorrow. Look forward to new gym.

Take care all stay safe.
    Save £12k in 24 No 50
    PB Win 21 £225, 22 £275, 23 £900, Balance Mar  £30,850 + £12K added to pension) (Wins 24 Jan £200 Feb £150 Mar £75 Apr £125) 
    Plan to move to Denmark for FIRE by 2028 “May your decisions reflect your hopes not your fears”
    New diary aiming for fire https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6414795/mortgage-free-now-aiming-for-fire#latest

• TallGirl
    Options
    Eye op done I can see fantastically with one eye less so with the other but it's meant that way so I can use it for close up and then I won't need reading glasses for years. I should get used to it and it might also improve still. Really pleased really happy I did it and most happy I'm able to play golf at the weekend didn't think I was but he gave me the all clear.

Been looking to sell some gold rings my mum gave me to have melted down for something for my sister and I. It's so expensive to have it melted so suggested to sister we just sell it and split it. Or I ad my wedding rings and we could by a piece of jewellery each for the total of £480. See what she says she's buying a horse right now plus lots of expenses with my nephews confirmation and her hubbys 50th in October.

Total chill out today not done a lot other than attend checkup. Might have kip now cinema tonight Hidden Figures two for one with Meercats.

Doesn't look like DG got the job she interviewed for on Friday shame but plenty of others and at least she's getting interviews.
    Save £12k in 24 No 50
    PB Win 21 £225, 22 £275, 23 £900, Balance Mar  £30,850 + £12K added to pension) (Wins 24 Jan £200 Feb £150 Mar £75 Apr £125) 
    Plan to move to Denmark for FIRE by 2028 “May your decisions reflect your hopes not your fears”
    New diary aiming for fire https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6414795/mortgage-free-now-aiming-for-fire#latest

• TallGirl
    Options
    2x£25 win on the premium bond this month. Next month I'll have another £40k in DG name and she will have £5k herself.

Golf weekend this weekend can't wait so fed up with work just got getting it chat with CEO today more along you need to pass probation etc which I think I will but they might extend it I wouldn't be surprised. Need to win big tender but that I'm on top of.

Can't wait to see my four golfing mates I know DG will get on with them fine so should be a lovely but knackering weekend. Not long to Cape Verde that is cool too as the weather in Cornwall will be pants no doublt.

Tired and very tired eyes tonight same yesterday but did enjoy Hidden Figures at the pictures it's worth seeing. Found a kebab shop that's nice close to here cheap as well so happy days there.
    Save £12k in 24 No 50

• bugslet
    bugslet Posts: 6,874 Forumite
    Options
    Glad to hear the eye op went well.

I think that probation of around 3 months is quite enough to suss someone out, why companies need more is a mystery to me. We usually can work out if people are going to fit in with us or not with a month. Not that many leave and create vacancies.

You are frugal, I'd seriously consider retiring or semi-retirement at some point. I'm 53 this year and told my main customer that I have a three year limit now on working - though I do keep weighing up if I could finish earlier. Life really is too short.
  • TallGirl
    Options
    Thanks Bugslet good for you to retire early I think of poor ex Dh he never made it to retirement I don't want to do that.

Golfing trip was fab DG got on with everyone and we got two rounds on wet wild and windy with hail but that's Cornwall. Food was stunning too many afternoon teas but now it's so close to Cape Verde it's not worth even trying to be good.

Eyes still ok drops four times a day so not too bad. Really really tired and we both have a cold so not much fun here. Early night needed.
    Save £12k in 24 No 50

• TallGirl
    Options
    Still full of cold so is DG so chilled weekend getting packing done for early start Weds. DG got some clothes and I bought her some shorts (she doesn't own any). I also got two bargain tops all in Sainsbury's 960 extra points too plus £12 off £60 very happy with that.

Forgot to buy eye drops will have to but to be honest I don't think I'll suffer with dry eyes it's just first thing in the morning and that could be all the drops I have to use antibuotics and anti inflamatories. Don't want to take any chances though.

Letter from IFA my old works pension is being transferred and so it the one from last year so that's really good. All in one place plus my works one. DD's for all investments starts 10/4 so the large sum will start to dwindle in my account. I do want to find another home for some of it it's too tempting to see it sat there. Guess Atom Bank is out lol.

Two days work left then Cape Verde can't wait fed up with this cold and feel so tired. Not been to the gym for two weeks and food choices not great at the moment. Not had a drink for a week though which is good at least.

I think that is all for now DG is snoring beside me otherwise I wouldn't be posting next to her.
    Save £12k in 24 No 50

• TallGirl
    Options
    Wow what an unexpected rollorcoaster day met my CEO for my probation review (6months) only to b told he is letting me go. Totally unexpected I know I hadn't cracked the role but didn't see this coming. Actually relived there wasn't really a role as the three services I looked after was running fine on their own. I tried to look upwards challenge the CEO level but obviously he didn't like this and to be honest I have hated the job for a while but learnt a lot and the people there are very nice.

Given me one weeks notice and I have leave booked so two weeks so wednesday will be my last wages. I'm obviously financially ok and I know I'll get another job. Think I'll go with something temporary like a maternity cover and happy with part time. Seen one on guardian jobs and put a couple of emails out to contacts meeting a friend tomorrow who works for e money advice service I always felt I should end up there and maybe now is the right time.

I definitely want to stay in advice preferably housing and money advice, welfare benefits is ok too but health wasn't great. I don't think it was me doing a bad job I really don't think there was a job to do for me. Well there would have been if CEO had let me but he kept being involved and his way of working with me was to dictate what needed doing not really letting me do my think so maybe I lost my confidence a bit. I think it's the right thing would never have been right too much of what they didn't didn't interest me one bit but what I learnt has been really useful.

Will definitely complete my safeguarding training and I also want to do some refreshers on advice been out too long. Holiday first obviously time to thInk and take stock not apply for the first thing like last time unless it's temporary and I fancy it.

Anyway DG on her way home not sure what's for dinner got nothing in so maybe go out think I need it.

Might post a lot more on here comtemplating my next move it really helps me think but it might not be very money related. Finance wise I'll have to take stock but the house brings in £800 a month so that's a start.
    Save £12k in 24 No 50

• SuzieSue
    SuzieSue Posts: 4,096 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Oh dear, what a shock for you. At least it has come at a time when you are financially secure, so it could be a lot worse.

I am 51 this year and I would take the opportunity to take a break for a few months if I were you and then look for temporary contracts rather than permanent ones. I think you are a few years younger than me so I can understand if you want another permanent job.

Definitely go out for a meal tonight.
  • SuzieSue
    SuzieSue Posts: 4,096 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I also meant to say that |I think that your CEO probably felt threatened by you and that is why he decided to let you go. It happens all the time, but at least it should be easy for you to find another job with all your experience.
  • vandanfc
    vandanfc Posts: 2,025 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    What a shock. At least you have a holiday coming up to ease the pain a bit. At least you can be more considered with your next employment and not need to rush to take up a new post. Maybe this is the push you need to make sure you end up in something you really enjoy doing. x
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure