PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Sneaky ways to save the pennies

Options

Comments

• Primrose
    Primrose Posts: 10,621 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I can testify to the fact that a faster spin on a washing machine really speeds up drying. We recently had to replace our machine and bought a Hotpoint with a 1600 spin. It was more expensive than some models, but over its life I hope to recoup the cost because it's amazing how much extra water it removes, speeding up the drying process, especially for heavy absorbent items like towels. We also have two holes in our lawn for our rotary washer - one where the morning sun is, and the other where the afternoon sun is. Now I'm at home all day, I can move it around which also speeds up the drying process. (I've noticed my next door neighbour has now copied this practice, although she must have wondered what I was doing at first marching around the garden carrying a Hills Hoist full of washing !)
  • savingqueen
    savingqueen Posts: 1,715 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Keep wire ties that come with children’s toys or similar. I use them instead of the piddly ties you get with sandwich bags. I cut them smaller if needs be. Can also use as garden ties.

I only use face wipes when really tired bt when I do, I pop the used ones in with the laundry. They dry really quickly & you can use them for tons of stuff. In place of cottonwool to take off makeup (then re-wash, can do this several times) , as dusters, in place of kitchen towel for small spills (I use to get off bits of stray catfood yuk then straight in bin!), to blow your nose on! Loads more uses I’m sure.

I use tons of tissues – always blowing my nose so have cut up some old soft white cotton tshirts and now too big knickers (clean of course!) to make my own hankies. You could always buy proper ones or make from old sheets and run up edges properly. Must admit only use indoors but might be brave later and take out the proper sort with me. When I have a cold homemade hankies are also softer than the value tissues I use normally.

sometimes I can't believe what I do to save a few pennies! :rotfl:
  • savingqueen
    savingqueen Posts: 1,715 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    rhiwfield wrote: »
    We used to dry most of our clothes in winter months like Savingqueen. The risk you run is that unless you have a lot of ventilation you increase the likelihood of mould on walls that can cost you a lot to sort out and may pose health problems for you and your loved ones.

We now accept the need for an external vented tumble dryer at some times of the year but use very fast spin speeds to reduce cost of drying. We also moved the rotary washer to the most sunny spot in garden and improved paving around it so we can use it even if ground is wet but drying conditions are ok.

good point. :o luckily we have a ventilation grille in our kitchen which lets in the cold but won't block for safety reasons as we have gas cooker. also helps counteract the tumble dryer! also big fresh air freak so open all windows for a while every day (unless raining) to help ventilation, air beds etc.
  • Patchwork_Quilt
    Options
    Savingqueen, I bought four proper cotton embroidered hankies from Oxfam the other day for 25p each. They just had them in a little basket amongst the bric-a-brac.
  • marri_lou
    Options
    Madcatgirl wrote: »
    Good tips! I've I'm working at home I fill a thermos with coffee first thing rather than keep on boiling the kettle. I also have two different types of porridge/hot oats. I use value porridge which takes longer to cook at weekends and days at home and only use more expensive quicker cooking oats on work days.

I love the tip about turning the cooker off early. A great tip with electric cookers that take hours to cool down (and heat up!)

I always soak my oats in water/milk the night before, this cuts down on the cooking time, and it means they are much creamier! I have also soaked them in a lowfat yoghurt with some chopped fruit overnight in the fridge, and that requires no cooking at all!

I also NEVER preheat my oven, waste of time for most things. I check the product before I take it out, but I don't feel that wasting all the leccy to pre-heat is any good.

I buy bath sets for Xmas in the sales, as long as they don't have a date on them. I also buy the Xmas puds. Mr T Finest are £1.50 in my shop atm and they last until May 2010! Nobody ever knows the difference.

I keep my bread in the fridge so it lasts longer.
    Feb GC £41.23/£90 :o
    Debt £0/£2140 (everything bar the mortgage). 16th Month 0% interest, ends May 2009.Mortgage - £54000
    Competitions won: Gu Chocolates (Jan n/r)
  • marri_lou
    Options
    Oh also when roasting a chicken, I dont roast it whole, I cut it down the middle and lay it out flat.

Its still lovely, crisp and juicy but cooks much more quickly.
    Feb GC £41.23/£90 :o
    Debt £0/£2140 (everything bar the mortgage). 16th Month 0% interest, ends May 2009.Mortgage - £54000
    Competitions won: Gu Chocolates (Jan n/r)
  • looby-loo_2
    looby-loo_2 Posts: 1,566 Forumite
    Options
    marri_lou wrote: »
    I also NEVER preheat my oven, waste of time for most things. I check the product before I take it out, but I don't feel that wasting all the leccy to pre-heat is any good.

The instructions for my new oven say 'no need to pre heat for anything which takes over 30 minutes to cook'
    Doing voluntary work overseas for as long as it takes .......
    My DD might make the odd post for me
  • JulieM
    JulieM Posts: 753 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Newshound! I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I've just been reading an interesting magazine article which suggests applying the number three to everything you do.

Do a supermarket shop every 3 weeks instead of 2, using what's left in the freezer etc for the third week.
    Divide casseroles for the freezer into 3 instead of 2, use 2 teabags in the pot instead of 3, and so on.

I know we're all trying to do this already, but I thought it put the point across well.
  • newlywed
    newlywed Posts: 8,255 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    marri_lou wrote: »
    I always soak my oats in water/milk the night before, this cuts down on the cooking time, and it means they are much creamier! I have also soaked them in a lowfat yoghurt with some chopped fruit overnight in the fridge, and that requires no cooking at all!

I just soak mine in water in the fridge and then add chopped fruit and a touch of honey/syrup and eat like that. Saves on cooking, and on milk ;)
    working on clearing the clutterDo I want the stuff or the space?
  • beautiful_ravens
    Options
    Moisturiser - I buy Aqueous cream, over the chemist counter (although its sometimes on the shelf in a small tube). Aqueous cream is an emollient, a bit like E45, and Ive been using it for years as I have super dry skin, its suitable for children and the elderly. I used to get it on prescription to help my eczema, but its so cheap I dont mind paying for it 3 times a year.

I always water down the cream. A big 500g tub costs up to £2, and you can water down probably up to 50/50 for a runny cream, like a vaseline intensive care consistency, or leave it a bit thicker. It goes a long way, and you can also add baby oil and stir in to make it slightly oilier, as well as a scented essential oil if preferred. You can also use it as a soap for washing skin. It is lanolin free.

http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/emollients/Pages/Introduction.aspx?url=Pages/what-is-it.aspx

http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/medicines/100000160.html
    ''A moment's thinking is an hour in words.'' -Thomas Hood
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family